Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got really good grades but I don't really want to go to uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone could prompt me in the right direction. I got 3 A*s at A-level, and I consider myself academic/creative. My problem, however, is that I really don't feel that enthused by any course. I am a jack of all trades - I have no distinct passion. I'm really lost right now as with my grades I'm being pushed by family members to go to uni, and to an extent I'd like to, for the experience and intellectual stimulation. But I just can't see myself enjoying anything that much...

Last year I applied to do English, quickly realising that I actually hated it and wasn't that good at it (I'm just good at exams). This year I applied to both Politics and Fine Art, but neither are truly taking my fancy. I also applied to Liberal Arts courses but I'm pretty certain I haven't obtained places on those.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and chosen not to go to university? What did you do instead? Any advice appreciated...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by creamteapunk)
    Thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone could prompt me in the right direction. I got 3 A*s at A-level, and I consider myself academic/creative. My problem, however, is that I really don't feel that enthused by any course. I am a jack of all trades - I have no distinct passion. I'm really lost right now as with my grades I'm being pushed by family members to go to uni, and to an extent I'd like to, for the experience and intellectual stimulation. But I just can't see myself enjoying anything that much...

Last year I applied to do English, quickly realising that I actually hated it and wasn't that good at it (I'm just good at exams). This year I applied to both Politics and Fine Art, but neither are truly taking my fancy. I also applied to Liberal Arts courses but I'm pretty certain I haven't obtained places on those.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and chosen not to go to university? What did you do instead? Any advice appreciated...
    Hi

I've moved this to the Apprenticeships and alternatives to university forum where you'll hopefully get a helpful response (and posting to bump you up).

It's apprenticeship week at the moment so there's a lot of resources and information around about apprenticeships.

Also https://nationalcareersservice.direc...orkCareer.aspx is worth a look - if you want to go a different route to university then there's a lot of options so having an explore of different things you could try out is worthwhile. There are tools on that site to help you think through what you enjoy doing and what you're good at and try to find a match to possible jobs. With a few ideas it's a good plan to try to get some experience of different jobs or talk to people in those jobs at the moment to test whether they're something that would be good for you.

Once you've got a clearer idea of exactly what floats your boat then it might be you end up circling back to university in a year or more time if that can get you into a job you want or help with a career - but going a few years later with a clear plan is much better than going along and coasting through with no clear plan.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively if you didn't want to do an apprenticeship as it seems you are unclear about what it is you enjoy, why not take a gap year and go travelling sometimes students need to have a break in order to mature and realise what it is they are truly passionate about.
    Being able to have more life experience often allows you to have better judgement on different things.

I would suggest personally in taking the gap year go travelling with a friend, then when you come back consider your options with a bit of interaction with a life beyond education.

Alternatively there is the option still of apprenticeships which as said above is a viable alternative you will be able to get valuable experience in a field which you may not have any grades in - Some universities are more interested in seeing someone passionate for the course over what grades they achieved.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    Going to uni isn't a requirement just because you're smart. Take a little time off, maybe even work for a few years and find out what you enjoy. Once you've claimed that student loan, you can't claim another one (well, if you drop out before finishing, but still). The only one where that's a pain is medicine (as it takes so long), everything else, a few years won't make a difference if you decide to go.

Don't let family members push you into doing something you don't want to do. It's your life, not theirs.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Congrats on the results. They ive you choice, so imo dont go to uni till you are ready and know you really wnat to go. Do an apprenticeship, go traveling or something and you might change your mind later. Have a think about what you would liek to do as a career and whether you need a degree to get there.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, was wondering if you have made a choice or where you are now? I also got 3A*s at A level and also didn't apply to uni. Like you I want to go for the experience, but can't choose a degree and am not even sure if it is the right choice for me anyway. What A levels did you do?

creamteapunk

ReputationRep:
    You could consider doing an "open degree" at the open university, you can pick your modules from any subject so you could do a mix of everything that interests you. That way you're still getting a degree but you have much more flexibility in what you study and when (you can study entirely at your own pace so you could do it alongside any things you might be interested in such as travel). However, since it is distance learning you won't get the university experience, if this is something you're interested in.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    You don't have to go to university if you don't want to. Nowadays, there are a lot of alternative options to get your career going!

This article about deciding if uni is right for you might help you out:
    http://advice.milkround.com/decide-university-right
    And this one talks about how an apprenticeship is a great university alternative:
    http://advice.milkround.com/become-a...enough-dickens
    You could also go travelling/volunteer/do an internship while you decide!

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think of the two tests compare to past years?

They were definitely on the harder side because of awful wording.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.