Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Smoking Ban MUST be repealed. watch

ReputationRep:
    Pubs are described as the heart of British culture. To ban smoking in a pub is not only a disgrace against individual liberty it is a act of treason against the bedrock of this nation. I go to the pub for vice, poison and laughter and that is how it's supposed to be. A pub is a place where those who have accepted their mortality come to exchange ideas.

If people do not like smoking in pubs they should go to a specific place which has that rule. Pubs should be free to set their rules, but in no way should the government encroach on this like it has done in the recent years.

There is a line in a song "cowboys like smokey ol' pool rooms and clear mountain mornings". Cowboys won't come to pubs with this law, and so you have no excitement, nobody will come to a pub without energy.

This country is dying and we need to save it. It has a heart condition. Pubs have to compete with supermarkets so they can't sell beer at reasonable prices and government is making ridiculous PC laws against them. The result is that people aren't talking to each other. Nobody is exchanging ideas anymore and so the country is dead. No people of character, passion or intellect will ever come from this nation if a lot of the laws brought under Labour are not thrown into the fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Pubs are described as the heart of British culture. To ban smoking in a pub is not only a disgrace against individual liberty it is a act of treason against the bedrock of this nation. I go to the pub for vice, poison and laughter and that is how it's supposed to be. A pub is a place where those who have accepted their mortality come to exchange ideas.

If people do not like smoking in pubs they should go to a specific place which has that rule. Pubs should be free to set their rules, but in no way should the government encroach on this like it has done in the recent years.

There is a line in a song "cowboys like smokey ol' pool rooms and clear mountain mornings". Cowboys won't come to pubs with this law, and so you have no excitement, nobody will come to a pub without energy.

This country is dying and we need to save it. It has a heart condition. Pubs have to compete with supermarkets so they can't sell beer at reasonable prices and government is making ridiculous PC laws against them. The result is that people aren't talking to each other. Nobody is exchanging ideas anymore and so the country is dead. No people of character, passion or intellect will ever come from this nation if a lot of the laws brought under Labour are not thrown into the fire.
    the traditional family pub is unfortunately dying a slow death mate. there all chain pubs now, a crying shame

ReputationRep:
    It is an individual's right to smoke but it is the right of everyone else around them to not be negatively affected by their actions. Smoking should be kept to areas where non smokers can easily be away from second hand smoke

ReputationRep:

Probably from all the smoking.

Is it just me who views the writings in the OP as analogous to smoking out rats from a Victorian public house or something? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I agree and I am an ex smoker

ReputationRep:
    Pubs actually these days serve vastly more none smokers than smokers. That being said many of such customers are ex smokers.

Realistically I think while the main bar and drinking area should be smoke free, the option to have a smoking room should of been retained. Kind of a common sense compromise really.

ReputationRep:
    Why should the government force a private business to ban a widely used legal substance on their premises? It's ridiculous, if you don't like it go to a pub owned and operated by an anti-smoker don't stop other people enjoying their lives.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Absoloutely agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    It is an individual's right to smoke but it is the right of everyone else around them to not be negatively affected by their actions.
    Then they should take measures to protect themselves without disturbing the rights of the smoker. (eg cloth on face, eg take a hike, eg stop coming to a place where people go to knowingly drink poison if you're so worried about being poisoned)

ReputationRep:
    Then they should take measures to protect themselves without disturbing the rights of the smoker. (eg cloth on face, eg take a hike, eg stop coming to a place where people go to knowingly drink poison if you're so worried about being poisoned)
    There's poison and then there's poison, by which I mean there is a safe level of alcohol, but no safe level of the carcinogens in tobacco smoke.

ReputationRep:
    I, like many others, would avoid going to the pub if they reinstated smoking.

What is so torturous, exactly, about having to go and stand outside a pub with other smokers, in order for you to smoke a fag and have a philosophical debate?

It's far more tortorous for the non-smokers sat inside a smoke-filled pub with a bunch of chainsmokers, when their health and wellbeing is being put at risk to cater for your own selfishness and lack of consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    What is so torturous, exactly, about having to go and stand outside a pub with other smokers, in order for you to smoke a fag and have a philosophical debate?

It's far more tortorous for the non-smokers sat inside a smoke-filled pub with a bunch of chainsmokers, when their health and wellbeing is being put at risk to cater for your own selfishness and lack of consideration.
    The health-obsessed don't belong in a pub and why a pub would cater to them is beyond me. That is what is tortuous about it, it's like going to a football game and seeing them use a rugby ball instead of a football. The whole point of a pub is to be the opposite of a healthy environment, it's denying the most important customer and catering to the drollish masses who will accept this kind of thing. Unfortunately for the masses they are stuck with their rules and each other and no version of the liveliness that pubs are traditionally designed to provide.
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    I, like many others, would avoid going to the pub if they reinstated smoking.
    And my argument is that every pub would be better off without you all.

ReputationRep:
    Smoke outside and destroy your own lungs rather than other people's

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought the great thing about smoking and the way the ban forces people to basically congregate in an outside shed, is the way it can bring different races/individuals together. I'm pretty sure many peoples marriages were basically precipitated through an initial 'gorra light love?'

ReputationRep:
    Just don't smoke for two hours or go out... I don't give a flying carp over whether you like it or not...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are living in the past. The pub is no longer the "heart" of British culture.

I doubt the majority of Pub goers want to return to places where it was filled with drunkards that don't care about their health.

Even ignoring that issue, the worker has the right to be protected from known harmful substances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Realistically I think while the main bar and drinking area should be smoke free, the option to have a smoking room should of been retained. Kind of a common sense compromise really.
    Yeah I agree with that.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    There's poison and then there's poison, by which I mean there is a safe level of alcohol, but no safe level of the carcinogens in tobacco smoke.
    Depends what you mean "safe" - nothing is really safe. I would suspect there is a negligible level though, for carcinogens of any kind,.

(Original post by lustawny)
    when their health and wellbeing is being put at risk to cater for your own selfishness and lack of consideration.
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    Smoke outside and destroy your own lungs rather than other people's
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I doubt the majority of Pub goers want to return to places where it was filled with drunkards that don't care about their health.
    Even though I can see the non-smoking side of the argument, these comments strike me as hyperbole.

Pubs which allow vaping are ok. I had a vape and a drink the other day and it was quite pleasant. Inside, in the warm, at a normal table.

It's a difficult one. No one wants to be in an enclosed space with cigarette smoke if they are a non smoker, however, the hysterical smoking ban has rendered these social establishments kind of dead now which carries many repercussions. Thankfully, vaping is a viable alternative. But I do think the smoking room idea has always been the best.

It seems that when there's a ban on something, it's always surrounded by this awful hysteria and hyperbole, and it goes way too far. I don't think it's smoking that should be demonised, rather the commercial tobacco companies *Cough Philip Morris Cough* and their attitude. The additives they give you in a commercial cigarette are arguably the real problem, or at least a major part of the problem. The smoking argument goes way deeper than simply discussing health.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add -

Smoking's a beautiful thing for those that enjoy it. A true gift. Unfortunately, bad for you. Even worse if you choose to smoke the floor shavings and formaldehyde supplied to you in commercial cigarettes.

Now, if people enjoyed an occasional quality cigar or cigarillo rather than hoofing down 20 B&H a day it might be a different matter. Commercial cigarettes are designed to never quite satisfy, hence why people seem to find it necessary to smoke a lot of them. It's a scam.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.