Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Irish users watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tealer)
    I am northern irish. What is the point in this group, surely in this multiculutral world it doesn't matter who you are or where you are from.
    There are threads on this forum and have been for a couple of years now, from people all over the world, connecting with others from the same country.

I see no problem with that - it is not been isolationist as these same people contribute to all manner of threads on the forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    i am interested in Irish history you utter pleb ,
    maybe you should read a book about the plantations. im sure i could find a few to reccommend to you.

ReputationRep:
    amusing? Because i find the flaws in the 'Irish' and that they are indeed purveyors of great violence - i wonder how they'd feel if we placed a bomb in Dublin
    Hello. All countries have flaws as you put it.
    And i wonder how you'd feel if the irish invaded england and made ethem speak irish the whole time and beat you up if you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    you're just going to have to keep wondering.
    think about it at least you have a short list of what my name could be.
    All right, but I'll give it more thought as a later time as I have to go now. Good night to Ireland and all the lovely Irish people.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you should read a book about the plantations. im sure i could find a few to reccommend to you.

please do - i have a book on Wolf Tone, and i also studied British 19th century history, and in that - the Ireland subject e.g Peel and Ireland, and Gladstone and Ireland,

i'm only really interested in it in relation to Britain

ReputationRep:
    Hello. All countries have flaws as you put it.
    And i wonder how you'd feel if the irish invaded england and made ethem speak irish the whole time and beat you up if you didn't.

maybe that's true, but i really don't see what they had to lose from being a part of the British Empire - apart from their nationalism really

ReputationRep:
    maybe that's true, but i really don't see what they had to lose from being a part of the British Empire - apart from their nationalism really
    oh yes and nationalism isn't important at all.

ReputationRep:
    oh yes and nationalism isn't important at all.

hahah - why is it that important? nationalism existed in Scotland and Wales and still does and are a part of the UK still

ReputationRep:
    hahah - why is it that important? nationalism existed in Scotland and Wales and still does and are a part of the UK still
    yes. but as you said yourself ireland stood to lose its nationalism. you said it not me.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    less comments about the irish m'dear or I may slap you with my rabbit bad boy

ReputationRep:
    i find the flaws in the 'Irish' and that they are indeed purveyors of great violence
    Interesting that someone from a country such as england would make that statement. Yes, we as a people have blood on our hands but its there because we fought for freedom. Ireland will never be able to catch up with the amount of terror that Britain has exported to every corner of the globe. The difference is england did it to expand its empire and become rich (and it worked) Ireland did it to gain Independence from Britain (again it worked). Violence sucks but don't try and tell me that if we invaded your country you wouldnt be pissed.

By the way I think its great that you're interested in our history, you do seem to have a fair bit of knowledge.

As for the stereotypes.......ahhh feck it I'm going to eat a potato and drink some guinness now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n2sky_dvn)
    Interesting that someone from a country such as england would make that statement. Yes, we as a people have blood on our hands but its there because we fought for freedom. Ireland will never be able to catch up with the amount of terror that Britain has exported to every corner of the globe. The difference is england did it to expand its empire and become rich (and it worked) Ireland did it to gain Independence from Britain (again it worked). Violence sucks but don't try and tell me that if we invaded your country you wouldnt be pissed.

By the way I think its great that you're interested in our history, you do seem to have a fair bit of knowledge.

As for the stereotypes.......ahhh feck it I'm going to eat a potato and drink some guinness now.
    lol....well, i don't think we ONLY exported violence - i think we did provide a lot of positive good through our imperialism, and yes - we may have committed gross crimes - but then again who didn't? but i still fail to understand that, yes - Irish Nationalism , Parnell , Feargus O'Connor, and Michael Davitt and all that - but while Ireland did do pretty bad out of being in the Empire - because we were having a great economic boom throughout the 19th century, that had a bad impact on Ireland. But if Ireland was indpendant at that time - surely they would have lost out even more - i mean competing as an independant nation among those such as : Uk, France, Germany, USA , Russia etc... they wouldn't have stood a chance - they based their economy on one crop - the potato, how could they have kept up with modern farming and industrial techniques?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n2sky_dvn)

The big problem with students studying Irish history as part of their British history is that they are exposed to sources that have a British bias and opinions susbequently expressed will contain that bias!

ReputationRep:
    lol....well, i don't think we ONLY exported violence - i think we did provide a lot of positive good through our imperialism, and yes - we may have committed gross crimes - but then again who didn't? but i still fail to understand that, yes - Irish Nationalism , Parnell , Feargus O'Connor, and Michael Davitt and all that - but while Ireland did do pretty bad out of being in the Empire - because we were having a great economic boom throughout the 19th century, that had a bad impact on Ireland. But if Ireland was indpendant at that time - surely they would have lost out even more - i mean competing as an independant nation among those such as : Uk, France, Germany, USA , Russia etc... they wouldn't have stood a chance - they based their economy on one crop - the potato, how could they have kept up with modern farming and industrial techniques?
    we wouldn't evevn have had the potato if cromwell hadnt introduced it.

ReputationRep:
    amusing? Because i find the flaws in the 'Irish' and that they are indeed purveyors of great violence - i wonder how they'd feel if we placed a bomb in Dublin
    Is trom an t-ualach an t-aineaolas.

ReputationRep:
    I love irish lads, cos I love their accent. Its so smooth, just likes Shanes
    Its Republic of Ireland I like, Ive visted Dublin, they are very nice people.

Le gra BlueAngel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Is trom an t-ualach an t-aineaolas.
    ni tuigim an seanfhocail sin mar nil gaeilge iontach agam an bhfuil tu ag iarraidh an bearla a thugas dom?

ReputationRep:
    ni tuigim an seanfhocail sin mar nil gaeilge iontach agam an bhfuil tu ag iarraidh an bearla a thugas dom?
    Yeah, sorry, in English it's "Ignorance is a heavy burden" - thought it quite appropriate at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ****)
    the British handled the Irish well, we always solved their grievances, but they were difficult and always wanted something else
    Ahahahahaha..... what?

ReputationRep:
    I think my great-great-grandfather was Irish.
    Hello fellow Celts!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.