Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Am I much better off getting a tattoo on the upper arm/ side of shoulder, than where the artist has recommended and I'd prefer, on the forearm? It's a howling wolf design, done in realism, with a mandala around the back. It will be done tastefully, in black/grey, by a very talented artist. Either way it shall be done, but given that I'd be in a 'nothing below the elbow' policy zone for a lot of my career, the question is do you think it will affect my chances in said career? I can't imagine a wolf causing offence, just the decision to get it done under the elbow. Either way it will be the first of many I'd imagine, this would just be the most prominent idea. What do people think?
    Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calbold)
    getting a tattoo... howling wolf design... done tastefully
    Mutually incompatible statements.

That aside, there are plenty of clinicians with loads more ink than what you're describing. Still, you will find some people who will dislike it, and most that don't care. It is not normally associated with the most sober and mature of decisions (rightly or wrongly), so bear in mind that you'll be working in a sleeves-rolled-up environment for at least part, if not all, of your career, so it is worth considering.

I have full sleeves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buraddo)
    Mutually incompatible statements.

That aside, there are plenty of clinicians with loads more ink than what you're describing. Still, you will find some people who will dislike it, and most that don't care. It is not normally associated with the most sober and mature of decisions (rightly or wrongly), so bear in mind that you'll be working in a sleeves-rolled-up environment for at least part, if not all, of your career, so it is worth considering.

I have full sleeves.
    Really? I have to say I've never seen any... Nurses and other staff for sure. Never doctors.

I'd personally be cautious.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Am I much better off getting a tattoo on the upper arm/ side of shoulder, than where the artist has recommended and I'd prefer, on the forearm? It's a howling wolf design, done in realism, with a mandala around the back. It will be done tastefully, in black/grey, by a very talented artist. Either way it shall be done, but given that I'd be in a 'nothing below the elbow' policy zone for a lot of my career, the question is do you think it will affect my chances in said career? I can't imagine a wolf causing offence, just the decision to get it done under the elbow. Either way it will be the first of many I'd imagine, this would just be the most prominent idea. What do people think?
    Peace.
    Maybe hold off on below-elbow tats until you start your clinical years? You'll have more of an idea of the reaction you'd be likely to get from consultants, elderly patients, etc, and really no-one can say how significant this will be but you yourself. Personally, I'd hate to get onto the wards and be constantly feeling uncomfortable/self-conscious about a tattoo - but you might be less bothered!

ReputationRep:
    Would avoid getting visible ones i.e. below elbows. Medicine is a conservative profession and likely to be for the forseeable future, and people (patients, consultants, etc) are likely to judge you, whether consciously or unconsciously. Personally I don't think it's worth the potential hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Some sound thoughts here. It's disheartening to have to consider this so deeply just because of the conservative, outdated nature of the beast. I'm thinking it may just be presenting another obstacle, and the raised eyebrows of people I'd most likely want to impress could run the risk of outweighing the thing itself, the last thing I want is to regret something I can't shift. I think I'll wait for anything visible, just looking forwards to getting the piece done. Cheers guys/gals

ReputationRep:
    Some sound thoughts here. It's disheartening to have to consider this so deeply
    You do understand that you are thinking of letting someone draw a picture on you, in ink, forever, right? You should be thinking deeply about it, from every perspective and for all reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I know multiple medical students with visible tattoos. Two girls with tats on their ankles that are regularly visible as they often wear capris. Neither of them have ever had any trouble. One guy with an extremely subtle wrist tattoo. As far as I know no one has ever even noticed his. And one guy with a forearm tattoo - who got into a BIG palava with medical school about it, and they threw some pretty serious threats around. Nothing ever came of it AFAIK (what were they going to do? Exclude him? Force him to pay for removal), but it was a lot of hassle and he has been officially instructed to keep it covered, though in practice he rarely does.

I think these decisions are easier to make when you're properly into a career. If you know you're going to be a GP forever, then forearm tattoos are fine because you can always choose to wear long sleeves. But for now... too much of a hassle on the wards if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buraddo)
    You do understand that you are thinking of letting someone draw a picture on you, in ink, forever, right? You should be thinking deeply about it, from every perspective and for all reasons.
    As much as I love being patronised, I was referring to the conservative nature of the medical profession, the perceptions of professionalism etc and pressure to conform to such, not just getting a tattoo and its permanent nature on my skin. But I appreciate that dude

ReputationRep:
    Happy to help.

It's courses for horses. I both regret some of the tattoos I have, and plan to get more. I think getting flash off some scratcher will always end in tears. Only you know what you have in mind, and whether you are the sort that will regret something years from now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.