Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you could find out what all the bad genes you carry are, would you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Late night question I've been pondering.
    If you could find out the likelihood that you've inherited or are a carrier for every medical condition that could effect you in later life would you?

For me I would like to know for some things but i dont think i want to know for certain things even with my families medical history.
    The genetic structure of any individual is in complex flux, i hope you realise?

source down the rabbit hole:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Bleep-D...he+rabbit+hole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I have

It's called making a will and living will and it's a standard thing
    Well congrats on completely missing the point.

I said it would be good to know so you could make preparations to make your life easier during the time you have the illness. A will has nothing to do with that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Well congrats on completely missing the point.

I said it would be good to know so you could make preparations to make your life easier during the time you have the illness. A will has nothing to do with that.
    power of attorney and expressions of wish have a lot to do with that - and they're standard things to be asked about and complete when you're sorting out your will

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know so I can make the best possible decisions for my body.

ReputationRep:
    You can (sort of)? Genetic Profiling?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes it would, because you would make any preparations you could beforehand to at least make your life easier during the illness.

Ignorance is rarely ever truly bliss.
    The only preparations I would be able to make would be financial, my will, an advanced directive and a DNAR unless euthansia becomes legal at that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Late night question I've been pondering.
    If you could find out the likelihood that you've inherited or are a carrier for every medical condition that could effect you in later life would you?

For me I would like to know for some things but i dont think i want to know for certain things even with my families medical history.
    Worst case, none of your conditions are treatable and you die anyway, Best case, all of them are treatable and you live a better life. Average case, some of them are treatable so you live a better life. Why embrace ignorance?

How is this even a question?

If someone told you they could tell you if you're gonna get parkinson's disease in the future, why would you say no?

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Yes, though I have a rough idea of what illnesses I could develop through my family, but it would still be interesting to see. I'm a biology student so it would fascinate me even more
    I bet you would make a business out of this. Spock Corporation.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Of course I would. We already know I've inherrited some pretty *****y medical problems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.