Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don't really know how to start this but last year I unfortunately failed my gcse. I decided to read take them this year how ever I am not sure I am heading in the correct direction. This year I am hoping to pass my core subjects (English, maths and science).

I all ready have computer science at a grade of British and in high school I had an attempt at a level computer science exam which I got an E.

I would like to start a levels next year (maths, business and physics) how ever I don't know if that is the right path to start in development area.
    I started to learn to program last year. I currently know C++ , C# , vb.net, html , css and a fair bit of java / java script. I know this sounds like a lot but I spent more time learning to program than revising for my exams. I fibs html Css PHP and java script easy but time consuming. And I would not mind doing it for a full time job.

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum or too much detail just want some help on what I should do next.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a software developer, I think you should take A levels. Whether or not you go to uni won't be hugely important provided you find a job and get loads of experience if you don't go. I knew a pretty talented coder and he skipped uni and went straight into a job. Your a level choice is fine, if you are good at math I would definitely suggest taking further maths if your school has it as an option, it can make candidates really stand out as it is one of if not the hardest a level aside from chemistry in my opinion. If your school offers computer science then obviously you should take that. Business however from what I've heard is not particularly useful or valued as an a level subject. If you can, I would change that for economics if possible or drop it for Comp Sci or F Maths. In the mean time I would spend a lot of time designing your own websites. As well as gaining practise and knowledge you will build up a portfolio for potential employers and customers. By the way if you are good at designing websites pls PM me. I am actually trying to find someone to design a website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nhtw)
    If you want to be a software developer, I think you should take A levels. Whether or not you go to uni won't be hugely important provided you find a job and get loads of experience if you don't go. I knew a pretty talented coder and he skipped uni and went straight into a job. Your a level choice is fine, if you are good at math I would definitely suggest taking further maths if your school has it as an option, it can make candidates really stand out as it is one of if not the hardest a level aside from chemistry in my opinion. If your school offers computer science then obviously you should take that. Business however from what I've heard is not particularly useful or valued as an a level subject. If you can, I would change that for economics if possible or drop it for Comp Sci or F Maths. In the mean time I would spend a lot of time designing your own websites. As well as gaining practise and knowledge you will build up a portfolio for potential employers and customers. By the way if you are good at designing websites pls PM me. I am actually trying to find someone to design a website
    The maths i applied for is further maths. And why is business useless? i see it as a good understanding of how the business industries work and what they target especially in a software / game development you should be enable to pick appropriate target audience and fill in the gaps.

For your website proposal send me a PM with your idea / what you are looking for and ill tell you if i can find time for it as right now i am mostly focusing on improving my app development skills as well as revision for my exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjgghhww2)
    The maths i applied for is further maths. And why is business useless? i see it as a good understanding of how the business industries work and what they target especially in a software / game development you should be enable to pick appropriate target audience and fill in the gaps.
    It is useless as this is common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to have a go but if you failed GCSE, A Level might not be right for you and it's better to think about that now then waste a year to find it out. You'd probably get more out of a BTEC in web development then put together a portfolio of work and try to get an apprentice level job.

I'd also say choose a core language / environment and learn that first rather than claiming to know a long list of languages, employers will have a very different view on what "knowing" a language is, usually far beyond a basic "hello world" or fizz buzz exercise.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.