Turn on thread page Beta

I'm an 18 year old girl, 5'4" and I weigh 33kg.

I used to have anorexia, "recovered", got discharged but slowly lost all the weight I had gained. I didn't lose weight through restriction or intentionally, it's more like I can't stop counting calories and always end up eating not quite enough. It wasn't a quick weight loss at all, it happened over the course of a year and a half so I almost didn't notice it happening. I average about 1,300 calories a day.

At this point I'm really scared. I look like a skeleton, I can't even look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted. I'm afraid that I won't be able to go to university. I just want to be normal.

Should I try to just stop counting calories and eat intuitively? I feel like that's the only way I will be able to gain weight. But I don't know if I'm strong enough.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I used to have anorexia, "recovered", got discharged but slowly lost all the weight I had gained. I didn't lose weight through restriction or intentionally, it's more like I can't stop counting calories and always end up eating not quite enough. It wasn't a quick weight loss at all, it happened over the course of a year and a half so I almost didn't notice it happening. I average about 1,300 calories a day.

At this point I'm really scared. I look like a skeleton, I can't even look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted. I'm afraid that I won't be able to go to university. I just want to be normal.

Should I try to just stop counting calories and eat intuitively? I feel like that's the only way I will be able to gain weight. But I don't know if I'm strong enough.
    Yes, be a pig - works for me. Granted I'm the other end of the stick so maybe not eat quite as much as me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Drink those 1000 calorie protein shakes, they should help quite a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hiya. Yes, I would just advise to eat as much as you want!! JUST EAT AND EAT AND EAT.

I know what you mean. I look like a skeleton as well and every comment I get from somebody when I wear a dress is that I'm extremely slim (which is like everyday). I also get different looks as if I want to be like that. Some people do, yeh but not everybody ygm. I also just want to feel normal. Meh.

But yeh, stop counting calories and just eat! Hope you get well soon xx

I would try and increase your calories if you can. I find it easier to drink calories when I feel like restricting, you could try things like milkshakes?

ReputationRep:
    Protein bars and protein shakes are what they usually give to underweight people that need to bulk quickly (and sustain the weight gain) for health reasons so I would defo try those- good luck (and p.s. quest bars come in sooooooo many flavours and you can microwave them so really good as treat )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You should be counting calories to ensure you eat enough.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.