Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm an 18 year old girl, 5'4" and I weigh 33kg.

I used to have anorexia, "recovered", got discharged but slowly lost all the weight I had gained. I didn't lose weight through restriction or intentionally, it's more like I can't stop counting calories and always end up eating not quite enough. It wasn't a quick weight loss at all, it happened over the course of a year and a half so I almost didn't notice it happening. I average about 1,300 calories a day.

At this point I'm really scared. I look like a skeleton, I can't even look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted. I'm afraid that I won't be able to go to university. I just want to be normal.

Should I try to just stop counting calories and eat intuitively? I feel like that's the only way I will be able to gain weight. But I don't know if I'm strong enough.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I used to have anorexia, "recovered", got discharged but slowly lost all the weight I had gained. I didn't lose weight through restriction or intentionally, it's more like I can't stop counting calories and always end up eating not quite enough. It wasn't a quick weight loss at all, it happened over the course of a year and a half so I almost didn't notice it happening. I average about 1,300 calories a day.

At this point I'm really scared. I look like a skeleton, I can't even look at myself in the mirror without being disgusted. I'm afraid that I won't be able to go to university. I just want to be normal.

Should I try to just stop counting calories and eat intuitively? I feel like that's the only way I will be able to gain weight. But I don't know if I'm strong enough.
    Yes, be a pig - works for me. Granted I'm the other end of the stick so maybe not eat quite as much as me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Drink those 1000 calorie protein shakes, they should help quite a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hiya. Yes, I would just advise to eat as much as you want!! JUST EAT AND EAT AND EAT.

I know what you mean. I look like a skeleton as well and every comment I get from somebody when I wear a dress is that I'm extremely slim (which is like everyday). I also get different looks as if I want to be like that. Some people do, yeh but not everybody ygm. I also just want to feel normal. Meh.

But yeh, stop counting calories and just eat! Hope you get well soon xx

I would try and increase your calories if you can. I find it easier to drink calories when I feel like restricting, you could try things like milkshakes?

ReputationRep:
    Protein bars and protein shakes are what they usually give to underweight people that need to bulk quickly (and sustain the weight gain) for health reasons so I would defo try those- good luck (and p.s. quest bars come in sooooooo many flavours and you can microwave them so really good as treat )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You should be counting calories to ensure you eat enough.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.