Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am looking to go to Cambridge for university, while looking at their "A-B list a levels" they said that applicants to do BA economics (which is what I want to do) should have two A list A-Levels and one B-List A-level. Recently at my sixth form interview I told my teacher I would be doing Maths, History (A - List) and Government and Politics (B-List). But, my teacher said this can hurt my chances of getting to Cambridge even though Cambridge recommend this. He said my chances may be smaller compared to those that do three A list A-Levels.

Will it really? Should I rethink my A-Levels? I have attached the link below to show you the AB list A-Levels.

Many thanks,

Link: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by The1AndOnly1)
    Hello,

I am looking to go to Cambridge for university, while looking at their "A-B list a levels" they said that applicants to do BA economics (which is what I want to do) should have two A list A-Levels and one B-List A-level. Recently at my sixth form interview I told my teacher I would be doing Maths, History (A - List) and Government and Politics (B-List). But, my teacher said this can hurt my chances of getting to Cambridge even though Cambridge recommend this. He said my chances may be smaller compared to those that do three A list A-Levels.

Will it really? Should I rethink my A-Levels? I have attached the link below to show you the AB list A-Levels.

Many thanks,

Link: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, Trinity is just one college and other colleges may take a less "strict" view. But yes your choices are fine anyway.

Here's a link to Cambridge's "The Subject Matters" which is uni-wide, rather than just Trinity's view of subjects
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf

But one other thing is that many will also have Further Maths. Have you considered maybe taking FM to AS-level? The course is very maths-heavy.

And don't forget Cambridge is just one choice on your UCAS, and Economics is one of the *most* competitive courses at Cambridge... it would be wise to consider other unis too

(Also I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Firstly, Trinity is just one college and other colleges may take a less "strict" view. But yes your choices are fine anyway.

Here's a link to Cambridge's "The Subject Matters" which is uni-wide, rather than just Trinity's view of subjects
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ectmatters.pdf

But one other thing is that many will also have Further Maths. Have you considered maybe taking FM to AS-level? The course is very maths-heavy.

And don't forget Cambridge is just one choice on your UCAS, and Economics is one of the *most* competitive courses at Cambridge... it would be wise to consider other unis too

(Also I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

My school can let me do Further Maths, but I only need to three courses. Therefore I dropped FM as it was my fourth a level. Should I be doing it? I know that LSE do not consider FM as a separate A level hence why I decided to drop it.

Please advise,
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

My school can let me do Further Maths, but I only need to three courses. Therefore I dropped FM as it was my fourth a level. Should I be doing it? I know that LSE do not consider FM as a separate A level hence why I decided to drop it.

Please advise,
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, definitely do further maths. It is extremely desirable for economics at Cambridge (and most universities I think).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks!

Please advise,
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    FM is required by some Cambridge colleges (but not all).

And looking at some data for 2013 applicants 93 out of 110 A-level students accepted by Cambridge had FM A-level, and a further 10 had AS-level.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...sed%20data.pdf

Also LSE does encourage FM for Economics. Even if you "only" have 3 A-levels.
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...uirements.aspx
    "A Level Maths, A Level Further Maths and one other subject"

ReputationRep:
    So I will be okay doing Maths, FM, GovPol and History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    So I will be okay doing Maths, FM, GovPol and History?
    Yes

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.