The Student Room Group

Eligibility differences between tuition fee loans and maintenance loans?

So I've been applying for student finance and since I haven't lived in the UK for the last 3 years (I left for 6 years before returning) and didn't live in the EU, I know it will be difficult for me to be eligible for maintenance loan. I was wondering if there would be a better chance at me being eligible for the tuition fee loans? Or am I equally likely not to get them?
Original post by homholz
So I've been applying for student finance and since I haven't lived in the UK for the last 3 years (I left for 6 years before returning) and didn't live in the EU, I know it will be difficult for me to be eligible for maintenance loan. I was wondering if there would be a better chance at me being eligible for the tuition fee loans? Or am I equally likely not to get them?

You'll either be eligible for both forms of support or none.

The key will be being able to demonstrate that your absence from the UK (and EU) was a temporary arrangement and that there was always an intention to return.

In situations like yours you're best applying as early as possible to give yourself time to source and provide evidence and to appeal if you aren't initially decided as eligible.

Quick Reply