Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanna get a novelty gear knob for my car. Can I just get any gear knob from ebay (manual), unscrew the old one and replace it with the new one? Is it that simple or is it more than just and screw on and off job?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    If it is generic it should come with threading adapters so you should be fine. If you get one for a specific car that is not yours, it might not fit. Also, if it has the gear numbers on it, make sure they are the same as you car. They are not always the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    If it is generic it should come with threading adapters so you should be fine. If you get one for a specific car that is not yours, it might not fit. Also, if it has the gear numbers on it, make sure they are the same as you car. They are not always the same.
    Yeah, can't tell whether it has adapters on eBay, it just says it comes with 8 screws, so I presume they mean adapter. With the gear numbers, I am getting a snake gear knob, not a numbered gear knob.

ReputationRep:
    A snake gear knob? It sounds vile! If you google the thread dimensions of the gear stick in your car (even if it is threaded) then you can find a gear knob tapped to the specific threads in your car which is vastly preferable to a generic "fits all" kind of knob.

I had an 8-ball knob in my Land Rover, my Morris Minor, and my second mk3 Golf

I actually went to great lengths to find a replacement OEM six-speed cap for my current car. The leather gear stick was missing the top cap and all the sh**e on eBay is either plastic or looks rubbish. Eventually found an OEM one on an owner's forum and love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    A snake gear knob? It sounds vile! If you google the thread dimensions of the gear stick in your car (even if it is threaded) then you can find a gear knob tapped to the specific threads in your car which is vastly preferable to a generic "fits all" kind of knob.

I had an 8-ball knob in my Land Rover, my Morris Minor, and my second mk3 Golf

I actually went to great lengths to find a replacement OEM six-speed cap for my current car. The leather gear stick was missing the top cap and all the sh**e on eBay is either plastic or looks rubbish. Eventually found an OEM one on an owner's forum and love it.
    I only have a *****y KA at the moment, I just wanna **** around with it for the little time I have left with it. Already installed a truck horn to it, I just need to put in a gear knob to make the interioir look snazzy, THe snakes eyes light up as well!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.