Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I passed my test a couple of weeks ago and I'm really itching to drive!
    Unfortunately I have a tiny budget of £400 or there abouts
    I've done some pretend insurance quotes on potential cars and managed to get them down to around £900 which isn't too bad (25 year old female)
    I just wanted to ask if it's realistic to get a car for £400 that's not going to fall apart as soon as I get it lol
    It would only need to last about 7 months until I can afford a new car on lease (I start working as a nurse in September).
    I don't know anything about cars but I know to go for something with a long MOT but not sure what else to look out for
    I live in Nottingham if anyone knows of any decent cars for sale in this area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends,
    Go on Autotrader, set the price to £500. Where I live, most cars around that price are direct from insurance companies, so cars with damage or write offs. Cars that low price are there for a reason, most probably been used and abused alot. What kind of car you looking for? Estate, hatch or any type of Make or model?

ReputationRep:
    Look on AutoTrader, you can usually get like a KA for about £300 or thereabouts

ReputationRep:
    Autotrader would definitely be the first place to look. You could also ask your local car dealers as the new car registration has just happened and will have taken in a shed loads of part exchanges. You can normally grab a bargain. The Young Car Driver website has information on insurance for young drivers and the various insurance bands plus guides on buying the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martinez96)
    Depends,
    Go on Autotrader, set the price to £500. Where I live, most cars around that price are direct from insurance companies, so cars with damage or write offs. Cars that low price are there for a reason, most probably been used and abused alot. What kind of car you looking for? Estate, hatch or any type of Make or model?
    I'm not really too fussy what it looks like haha just as long as it's safe and it'll last until the winter.
    Maybe something like a ford Ka, Nissan micra, Suzuki alto, fiesta, those types of cars. But if I went to view a car I wouldn't know what to look out for in terms of problems. I don't wanna be faced with big repair bills

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    KA's are horrible

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki/200...es-/1159981060

Looks genuine and decent apart from the dent on the corner. Its only had one owner, 2 keys, and only done 54,000 miles.
    Just a suggestion.
    Theres more Altos/Micras out there. Just have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Gumtree (better for cheaper private sales). Late 90s/early 00s Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris. Buy the one with the least rust and longest MOT.

ReputationRep:
    The key is to know what to look for to avoid buying a lemon.

Best thing to do is take someone who knows a bit about cars to look t over for you. It does not have to be a mechanic but needs to know if the car have obvious faults.

Take a long test drive on different roads like city and dual carriageway to test the handling, brakes and if the engine overheats. Rev the engine and look for excessive smoke. Too much smoke is a big and expensive problem. Check where the car is parked to see if there is oil or water leaking underneath. Check the small things like lights, wipers, rust and spare wheel. Make sure the tyres have enough tread to be safe and legal.

Look at the seller, does the seller look trustworthy? If its a private sale, insist on meeting the seller at his house, don't buy a car in a pub car park or layby.

I bought a car for £100 and it lasted me 18 months with minor repairs so its possible to get a reasonable car for £400.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking for a cheap car, the Micra is also a best bet.
    I picked mine up for £420 a year ago. Had to do about £150 worth of work to it to get it road worthy. So about £570 in total.

Despite that, the car has lasted me the year and done so many miles and taken a lot of crap from me - and it's still going!

Micras are cheap to fix too, a lot of them died in scrap yards, so you can pick up parts easily when things gone wrong. They are also pretty reliable too. Just not very pretty.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.