Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a dilemma!
    I want to choose an insurance for my UCAS but i can't decide between Kent and Westminster. I'm hoping to study Politics and International Relations.
    I need some help with decisions. OK so here r some good and bad things about each Uni for me.

Kent.
    Good:
    It's one of the best in Politics and International relations.
    It's cheap considering accommodation.
    I can go abroad to Japan as a part of my degree.
    Bad:
    It's far away from Birmingham (where i live).
    I haven't been to an open day so i don't know what it looks like much or what the teaching is like much.
    Also the grades require are a BBB whilst Westminster has a lower grade requirement of BBC.

Westminster.
    Good:
    The grades required are really low and good for an insurance choice (BBC).
    In Central London, so it has a lot of opportunities to offer that is beneficial for Politics and International Relations.
    It's close to Birmingham so i can visit family if i want to.
    Bad:
    It's bloody expensive accommodation!
    The lecturers don't show much promise at actually being good at teaching or even knowing the content well.
    It's in an expensive area.

Can someone give me some info and advice on what they think?
    Maybe someone could tell me their info on a Kent open day as well?
    Maybe a current student at Kent could tell me about the teaching on my course?
    I really need some help. Obviously the choice is up to me but some advice and suggestions and info could help me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    The Kent teaching will be better for sure, it one of the top 5 international relations universities in the UK when a lot of UK universities focus on domestic politics. Kent has a research center in conflict analysis and advises GCHQ + the parliament very often. For the campus, it is being renovated a brand new library wing was just built this year.

In terms of the opportunities in London, you'll be surprised that those opportunities are often 'reserved' for students from higher 'tier' universities so Westminster students will not always be invited to talks , internships, etc... (rather students from LSE, Kings, Oxbridge and even Kent are more likely to be offered those opportunities)

ReputationRep:
    Kent for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asal666)
    I have a dilemma!
    I want to choose an insurance for my UCAS but i can't decide between Kent and Westminster. I'm hoping to study Politics and International Relations.
    I need some help with decisions. OK so here r some good and bad things about each Uni for me.

Kent.
    Good:
    It's one of the best in Politics and International relations.
    It's cheap considering accommodation.
    I can go abroad to Japan as a part of my degree.
    Bad:
    It's far away from Birmingham (where i live).
    I haven't been to an open day so i don't know what it looks like much or what the teaching is like much.
    Also the grades require are a BBB whilst Westminster has a lower grade requirement of BBC.

Westminster.
    Good:
    The grades required are really low and good for an insurance choice (BBC).
    In Central London, so it has a lot of opportunities to offer that is beneficial for Politics and International Relations.
    It's close to Birmingham so i can visit family if i want to.
    Bad:
    It's bloody expensive accommodation!
    The lecturers don't show much promise at actually being good at teaching or even knowing the content well.
    It's in an expensive area.

Can someone give me some info and advice on what they think?
    Maybe someone could tell me their info on a Kent open day as well?
    Maybe a current student at Kent could tell me about the teaching on my course?
    I really need some help. Obviously the choice is up to me but some advice and suggestions and info could help me a lot.

Kent would be good but Westminster just for the location.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.