Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does the wage gap exist? (Debate and POLL) Watch

• View Poll Results: In your opinion does the wage gap exist?
    Yes
    12.50%
    No
    83.33%
    I'm not sure
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, no.

Statistically, it does exist, but that simply does not take into account for the other factors. Through research it has been shown that women take longer holidays, are more likely to call in sick, are less likely to accept overtime, and in general would rather split time more equally between family and work.

Furthermore, in the US and UK, women are now paid more in the 21-35 age bracket than men are for the same work! We also have to remember that if the wage gap was true, then places of work would be full of women, this simply isn't the case.

The disparity which did exist before has closed, and in fact is now going in the opposite direction.

ReputationRep:
    But patriarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    But patriarchy.
    Check your white cis male privilege before you comment here
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It does. But just not due to sexism. And beyond the points you mention above, women are also less likely to negotiate for pay rises and generally choose lesser paid specialties in a variety of professions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Check your white cis male privilege before you comment here
    I don't have to I identify as a transracial black Muslim poor lesbian, but please feel free to check yours.

They are less likely to take a chance and apply for a role they are under qualified for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    It does. But just not due to sexism. And beyond the points you mention above, women are also less likely to negotiate for pay rises and generally choose lesser paid specialties in a variety of professions.
    Very true. The simple fact is that when the external factors are accounted for, the differences are understandable

Edit: Deleted my reply, didn't realize you had edited
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Why do you think it exists? But as I mentioned, statistically yes, but when other factors are taken into account it just doesn't.
    Certainly there is a difference between the mean earnings of women and men. That is what I mean.
    However, it has been shown that they are paid equally hr for hr for the same job. That is what is important, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Certainly there is a difference between the mean earnings of women and men. That is what I mean.
    However, it has been shown that they are paid equally hr for hr for the same job. That is what is important, I think.
    It would simply be illegal to pay them differently, it only really exists because the choices women have made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I don't have to I identify as a transracial black Muslim poor lesbian, but please feel free to check yours.

They are less likely to take a chance and apply for a role they are under qualified for.
    PRSOM. I knew I would get a witty reply

Very true. Different priorities.

ReputationRep:
    Shameless Bump

ReputationRep:
    The wage gap solely dependent on gender does not exist imo, like if a man and woman both had the same job at the same company and worked the same number of hours they would be paid exactly the same, typically 'male' professions do pay more and I think more should be done to not gender careers encouraging men and women to look at every single option without being discouraged because of gender norms but that's not even wages themselves that's changing career goals

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! In fact it's not just the 'wage gap' that's being reversed, it's the job market too. My straight white brother is now 30% less likely to get a job than a straight white woman.

The kid's an absolute genius in the fields of computer hardware and electrical engineering, but that's now likely to be overlooked because he's got a penis, likes women and has white skin. It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    The wage gap solely dependent on gender does not exist imo, like if a man and woman both had the same job at the same company and worked the same number of hours they would be paid exactly the same, typically 'male' professions do pay more and I think more should be done to not gender careers encouraging men and women to look at every single option without being discouraged because of gender norms but that's not even wages themselves that's changing career goals
    But surely 'gendered' careers are only based on the choices if individuals, rather than a societal construction of whom takes what job?

ReputationRep:
    But surely 'gendered' careers are only based on the choices if individuals, rather than a societal construction of whom takes what job?
    Atm, even though we've broken down a lot of societal gender expectations, there are definitely still 'male' and 'female' careers, if I put a list of careers on this thread and asked people to a sort them by gender, there would be many obvious differences, this means that a lot of people when choosing a career path, most often at a young age where they're heavily influenced by their peers, will decide on a career more 'suited' to their ended, that's not to say they won't enjoy the career they chose but they might not have even considered something that they would have enjoyed more for fear of being ridiculed

ReputationRep:
    Atm, even though we've broken down a lot of societal gender expectations, there are definitely still 'male' and 'female' careers, if I put a list of careers on this thread and asked people to a sort them by gender, there would be many obvious differences, this means that a lot of people when choosing a career path, most often at a young age where they're heavily influenced by their peers, will decide on a career more 'suited' to their ended, that's not to say they won't enjoy the career they chose but they might not have even considered something that they would have enjoyed more for fear of being ridiculed
    I guess so, but as mentioned these are breaking down, which is a step in the right direction, I think changes in the job market are a reason for this

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, but as mentioned these are breaking down, which is a step in the right direction, I think changes in the job market are a reason for this
    Of course and that's good, I was just pointing out that this could be the main reason for an overall difference between the wages of the average man and the average woman

ReputationRep:
    Of course and that's good, I was just pointing out that this could be the main reason for an overall difference between the wages of the average man and the average woman
    Potentially, the politics of it all are just silly.

ReputationRep:
    There is no difference in how much men and women are paid per hour for the same job. That's all that matters.

If women are gonna aim for lower paid jobs, take more holidays and work less extra time then that's their own fault.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.