Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How satisfied are you with your course? watch

• View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with your course?
    It's great, I love it
    35.52%
    It's alright
    46.48%
    It's not great, I'm not satisfied
    18.00%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Do you love it...? What could be better? What subject are you studying?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Computer Science

The main reason I don't have a good social life

ReputationRep:
    I love it. I moan about the early mornings, but it's so incredibly cool. From watching a vaginal birth to being there in someone's last moments, it's so interesting. I study medicine btw.

ReputationRep:
    mines incredibly boring at times but im happy as its what i want to do
    Spoiler:
    Show
    id rather own a panda sanctury

ReputationRep:
    I study Law. I do love the course and i find it really interesting. During my last 2 years I have been able to defend a client in a cannibal case (a fake one for class lol) and have learnt about many different areas of the law for example tort, medical law, criminal law and EU Law.

I would say though that there is a lot of reading and my professors are not at all helpful (and according to some postgrads on our course worse than in their undergrad degrees). I don't mind the reading but when you are told to read 3 cases for the next day (each consisting of sometimes hundreds of pages), as well as managing all of my other reading assignments, essays and study notes can be stressful but time management and a hell of a lot of hours spent at the library helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    I study Law. I do love the course and i find it really interesting. During my last 2 years I have been able to defend a client in a cannibal case (a fake one for class lol) and have learnt about many different areas of the law for example tort, medical law, criminal law and EU Law.

I would say though that there is a lot of reading and my professors are not at all helpful (and according to some postgrads on our course worse than in their undergrad degrees). I don't mind the reading but when you are told to read 3 cases for the next day (each consisting of sometimes hundreds of pages), as well as managing all of my other reading assignments, essays and study notes can be stressful but time management and a hell of a lot of hours spent at the library helps.
    how do you remember ALL the laws and stipulations etc that goes with them?
    theres hundreds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    how do you remember ALL the laws and stipulations etc that goes with them?
    theres hundreds!
    Its just a case of learning them haha ! it can be tough but you get used to it after a while.

In some exams however they do let you bring an unannotated statute book into the exam so that can be helpful. It is not a case of just learning laws like "section 2 of this act says this", you also have to learning cases where a judge might have deviated from the law or has created a new principle (common law).

In my criminal law exam in first year, i had just under 120 cases to learn for the exam as well as statute. Luckily i was allowed the statute book for that exam haha !

ReputationRep:
    Its just a case of learning them haha ! it can be tough but you get used to it after a while.

In some exams however they do let you bring an unannotated statute book into the exam so that can be helpful. It is not a case of just learning laws like "section 2 of this act says this", you also have to learning cases where a judge might have deviated from the law or has created a new principle (common law).

In my criminal law exam in first year, i had just under 120 cases to learn for the exam as well as statute. Luckily i was allowed the statute book for that exam haha !
    i dont think id be able to do it esepcially as u get like man slaughter and intent to kill and each term can mean something different but sound like the same thing

"you also have to learning cases where a judge might have deviated from the law or has created a new principle (common law)."
    even this bit confused me!

thats ALOT of cases! is it like a practical where you act it out?
    and what does statute mean

ReputationRep:
    i dont think id be able to do it esepcially as u get like man slaughter and intent to kill and each term can mean something different but sound like the same thing

"you also have to learning cases where a judge might have deviated from the law or has created a new principle (common law)."
    even this bit confused me!

thats ALOT of cases! is it like a practical where you act it out?
    and what does statute mean
    I study in Scotland so the equivalent to manslaughter here is culpable homicide, but you are right there are lots of terms and principles within each of the defences/crimes.

A statue is a law passed by Parliament for example The Requirements of Writing (Scotland) Act 1995 or the Companies Act 2006. You can find them online and they have different sections under which state the law governing a particular aspect of life.

Common Law is where a judge has developed the law when giving his judgement in a case, not all judges have the power to do this and it is usually judges who appear in the higher courts (not your local J&P courts). They are not always binding (enforceable) but can help to interpret laws which might have been poorly written or vague.

I mean it is a complex and challenging course but well worth it for those up for the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    I study in Scotland so the equivalent to manslaughter here is culpable homicide, but you are right there are lots of terms and principles within each of the defences/crimes.

A statue is a law passed by Parliament for example The Requirements of Writing (Scotland) Act 1995 or the Companies Act 2006. You can find them online and they have different sections under which state the law governing a particular aspect of life.

Common Law is where a judge has developed the law when giving his judgement in a case, not all judges have the power to do this and it is usually judges who appear in the higher courts (not your local J&P courts). They are not always binding (enforceable) but can help to interpret laws which might have been poorly written or vague.

I mean it is a complex and challenging course but well worth it for those up for the challenge.
    exactly lol its all so confusing lol
    yea i dont think id be capable after reading all that lol

ReputationRep:
    exactly lol its all so confusing lol
    yea i dont think id be capable after reading all that lol
    Studying Law isn't for everyone but I personally really love it.

Do you attend university ?

ReputationRep:

too confusing for me lol
    and yup, business management

ReputationRep:
    too confusing for me lol
    and yup, business management
    Cool my friend studies business, how are you finding the course ?

ReputationRep:
    Cool my friend studies business, how are you finding the course ?
    good but boring alot lol but i dont mind

ReputationRep:
    good but boring alot lol but i dont mind
    At least when you graduate their are lots of job opportunities available to you

ReputationRep:
    At least when you graduate their are lots of job opportunities available to you
    thats the plan

ReputationRep:

what university do you study law at? is first year hard?

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy my course but there is a lot that I am currently dissatisfied about. I have in the last block (7 weeks) had 12 of my 28 Spanish classes cancelled and at least 8 of my Italian classes cancelled. Last semester there was a stir where almost everyone in the English track failed the Literature exam, which has caused a lot of complaints, and the resit is next week but hell all has been done to prepare us for it. :l

Linguistics however is awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    what university do you study law at? is first year hard?
    The University of Glasgow. I mean it takes a few weeks to get into the swing of things and create a routine, but after that you just get used to it.

I would never say that it gets any easier as they subjects become increasingly difficult every semester, but you certainly learn to cope and adapt to the fast learning speed.

Are you thinking about studying law ?

ReputationRep:
    The University of Glasgow. I mean it takes a few weeks to get into the swing of things and create a routine, but after that you just get used to it.

I would never say that it gets any easier as they subjects become increasingly difficult every semester, but you certainly learn to cope and adapt to the fast learning speed.

Are you thinking about studying law ?
    Are you thinking of practicing law? If not, what turned you off?

I'm thinking about Law, I've applied to study literature but I might change it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.