Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

As per the title, I have a question about AQA's marking practices, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Judging by AQA's 2015 Physics A grade boundaries (from here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2015.PDF), the mark needed for an A* at A2 is very roughly 60/75 across both main exams and 39/55 for the EMPA. This equates to attaining about 80% of main exam marks and 70% of EMPA marks, so approximately 78% of all marks across the 3 exams.

What I'm getting at is this: if, say, someone were to have achieved 100% UMS at AS level, does this mean they would only have to achieve about 28% UMS at A2 (bringing overall marks earned to around 78%) to secure an A* overall? Or does AQA employ a system similar to Edexcel maths, by which certain grades must be achieved in certain A2 modules to qualify for an A*, regardless of overall score?

Thanks in advance and I apologise for the long-winded question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnakePlissken)
    Hi all,

As per the title, I have a question about AQA's marking practices, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Judging by AQA's 2015 Physics A grade boundaries (from here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2015.PDF), the mark needed for an A* at A2 is very roughly 60/75 across both main exams and 39/55 for the EMPA. This equates to attaining about 80% of main exam marks and 70% of EMPA marks, so approximately 78% of all marks across the 3 exams.

What I'm getting at is this: if, say, someone were to have achieved 100% UMS at AS level, does this mean they would only have to achieve about 28% UMS at A2 (bringing overall marks earned to around 78%) to secure an A* overall? Or does AQA employ a system similar to Edexcel maths, by which certain grades must be achieved in certain A2 modules to qualify for an A*, regardless of overall score?

Thanks in advance and I apologise for the long-winded question.
    You can get an A by any combination of modules, provided you get an 80% aggregate across all of the modules you sat.

An A*, however, is only achieved if you achieve an A overall plus a 90% aggregate across your A2 modules.

So, for the A*, you need to perform well in the A2 units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    You can get an A by any combination of modules, provided you get an 80% aggregate across all of the modules you sat.

An A*, however, is only achieved if you achieve an A overall plus a 90% aggregate across your A2 modules.

So, for the A*, you need to perform well in the A2 units.
    Does the A2 EMPA count as one of the "A2 modules" or is only an average of 90% from the main written ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    Does the A2 EMPA count as one of the "A2 modules" or is only an average of 90% from the main written ones?
    EMPA does count

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.