Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello ! I am rginking of applying at Cambridge in October 2016.My main choises are either Law or Classics . I have lots of more possibilities to have an offer for Classics as I have already studied ancient greek ang Latin.I am currently studying Law in my home country .If i have an offer for Classics then how difficult is it to change the classics tripo to a law degree ? When is it possilbe to change the tripos at Cambridge? Thanks in advance ! Ask me if you want more info .

ReputationRep:
    The standard A level offer for both is A*AA, so I don't know what you mean by "more possibilities to have an offer in Classics". Apply for whichever degree you want to do.

As for changing degrees, I believe it happens but is by no means guaranteed. It is a stupid strategy to apply for one course in the hope of then switching to another. The old joke was to apply for Theology (easier to get into) then switch to Physics or whatever (hard to get into), but I don't think it was ever more than a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael con)
    Hello ! I am rginking of applying at Cambridge in October 2016.My main choises are either Law or Classics . I have lots of more possibilities to have an offer for Classics as I have already studied ancient greek ang Latin.I am currently studying Law in my home country .If i have an offer for Classics then how difficult is it to change the classics tripo to a law degree ? When is it possilbe to change the tripos at Cambridge? Thanks in advance ! Ask me if you want more info .
    Apply for the one you like most - you will have a better chance of getting in that way.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    The standard A level offer for both is A*AA, so I don't know what you mean by "more possibilities to have an offer in Classics". Apply for whichever degree you want to do.

As for changing degrees, I believe it happens but is by no means guaranteed. It is a stupid strategy to apply for one course in the hope of then switching to another. The old joke was to apply for Theology (easier to get into) then switch to Physics or whatever (hard to get into), but I don't think it was ever more than a joke.
    It's not uncommon to change Tripos but it would usually be to a similar course - so Theology to NatSci isn't likely to happen But Law to Classics would be possible (or vice-versa). The Tripos IS flexible but changes have to be agreed with DoSs involved from both courses, they aren't automatic by any means.

As others have said - it is much better to apply to the course you want to do from the outset.

Also, be aware of the fairly strict English language requirements if you are an International or EU applicant.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice ! I am currently studying Law.I said that it is easier for Classics as there is low demand and at tha same time time i have studued greek and Latin in a more than a levels advanced level.If i have an offer for classics then it would be easier to change to law aw i have law background and classics a d law are not like Nat Sci and Theology ! What do you think now ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice ! I am currently studying Law.I said that it is easier for Classics as there is low demand and at tha same time time i have studued greek and Latin in a more than a levels advanced level.If i have an offer for classics then it would be easier to change to law aw i have law background and classics a d law are not like Nat Sci and Theology ! What do you think now ?
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law:
    "If you wish to combine law with another subject it's best to discuss this with your preferred College before submitting your application.

"Students who wish to combine law with another subject usually study law after that subject rather than before. It's desirable to study law for two years wherever possible, since it's not possible to pass all seven 'foundation' subjects at Cambridge in less than two years.

"If your first subject has a two-year Part I, you need to consider the implications – especially the financial implications – of four years as an undergraduate."

Classics has a two-year Part I.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/law:
    "If you wish to combine law with another subject it's best to discuss this with your preferred College before submitting your application.
    Classics has a two-year Part I.
    PRSOM

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.