Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really keen on applying to the CSFS scheme (next round as I've missed the deadlines for this intake), particularly in Diplomatic Service.

I'm aiming to obtain a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences from a Russell Group uni this year, but have long felt that a career in healthcare and medical science was the wrong route for me.

As I've got a year to do something with, I was wondering what might be a good project to undertake that may bolster my application to the DS scheme. I've been looking at taught MA courses in IR or Diplomacy. I know this may not be the best investment financially but I'm excited by the thought of studying something I'm actually interested in finally, after 3 years of forcing myself through something I had no passion for (and the let's just say that funding would be possible).
    Any other ideas might would be helpful though

I'm also a dual citizen of the UK and another commonwealth nation, the latter in which I was born and lived the first 17 years of my life. I'm hoping this contributes to my application in a beneficial way.

Any comments on what might improve my chances and be a good move for the next year would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levington95)
    I'm really keen on applying to the CSFS scheme (next round as I've missed the deadlines for this intake), particularly in Diplomatic Service.

I'm aiming to obtain a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences from a Russell Group uni this year, but have long felt that a career in healthcare and medical science was the wrong route for me.

As I've got a year to do something with, I was wondering what might be a good project to undertake that may bolster my application to the DS scheme. I've been looking at taught MA courses in IR or Diplomacy. I know this may not be the best investment financially but I'm excited by the thought of studying something I'm actually interested in finally, after 3 years of forcing myself through something I had no passion for (and the let's just say that funding would be possible).
    Any other ideas might would be helpful though

I'm also a dual citizen of the UK and another commonwealth nation, the latter in which I was born and lived the first 17 years of my life. I'm hoping this contributes to my application in a beneficial way.

Any comments on what might improve my chances and be a good move for the next year would be greatly appreciated!
    The Fast Stream application is a long drawn out process and for the first two rounds its just tests- extra things you have to offer don't come into it. Verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, a competency questionnaire and situational judgement test. If you don't score well enough on those you won't get through to the next round. Next round is an etray. You only get to talk to people about what you have to offer if you make it through to the assessment centre. And then what the assessors are looking for is that you meet the competency criteria. This link you might find very useful
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ency-framework

So if you feel there is an area there you have little experience then now is your time to get it.

As is this which explains the whole application process
    ttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply

From what I understand the Diplomatic Fast Stream has one of the highest scores needed so do understand it is even more competitive than the generalist stream.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.