Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! To give a bit of background I am in grade 10 and need to choose my options soon for IB. I want to pursue a career in medicine or in medical research and the subject I'm planning on taking are:

HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    HL English Lit.

SL Math/maths studies
    SL Philosophy
    SL ab initio Spanish

My main question is: Do universities such as UCL, King's College, Birmingham, Bristol etc. accept students who took maths studies? I know it would make my application more competitive (if I took SL maths instead) but I think I will really struggle in SL maths and it would bring my overall score down.

I know this question has been asked before but a lot of previous forums are dated from like 2009, so I was wondering if anything has changed since then.

Bonus question: For any present or future med-school applicants; how old were you when you first knew you wanted to become a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I truly think it'll be much better to take SL Math. If it doesn't bring your grade down significantly, then I think it's worth the struggle. As long as you get a 5/6 you would stand a chance at these unis because they focus more on your scores in your higher level subjects, as well as your personal statement, UKCAT/BMAT and interview. More often than not, when people get rejected pre-interview, it's not because of their predicted A-Level/IB score, so long as they meet the minimum requirements.

If you work hard in SL Math I am confident that you will do well in it. Math studies is not always accepted by medical schools.

I'm applying for medicine at the moment, in Year 13. I was 16 (quite late.....) when I figured out for absolute sure I wanted to be a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I would really recommend taking SL Maths as it really isn't that hard and the big unis prefer it! I'm applying for medicine in my gap year and I do SL Maths because I want to apply for Oxford/Cambridge and Imperial. For Oxbridge having SL Maths isn't great as they prefer HL (which is ridiculous and my college doesn't even offer it!) so I could only apply to some of the colleges! So basically, I would really recommend taking SL Maths as it's a really nice course and not too hard and will help your application that little bit more!

Good luck with everything!!

ReputationRep:
    In the entry requirements for IB students I haven't seen information that Maths SL/HL is obligatory for medicine. Is it still possible to get into Oxbrdige/Imeperial/ Ucl/ Kcl/ Edinburgh with Maths studies? At which university do I have the biggest chance with having taken maths studies?

ReputationRep:
    I second the need to take HL math for oxbridge. I wanted to apply there this year (I switched from math HL to SL) but eventually decided against it as the chances of getting in with math SL are extremely slim (you can find some med applicants' subjects statistics on websites of both unis). I really recommend taking math at least to SL as many universities state explicitly that they do not accept math studies. Plus math SL is not hard if you are willing to put effort into learning it You could always write directly to the chosen universities and ask whether they would accept studies.

ReputationRep:
    I have already written to few universities. Oxford repplied that Maths SL is not obligatory, however it is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliette.vo)
    Hey everyone! To give a bit of background I am in grade 10 and need to choose my options soon for IB. I want to pursue a career in medicine or in medical research and the subject I'm planning on taking are:

HL Chemistry
    HL Biology
    HL English Lit.

SL Math/maths studies
    SL Philosophy
    SL ab initio Spanish

My main question is: Do universities such as UCL, King's College, Birmingham, Bristol etc. accept students who took maths studies? I know it would make my application more competitive (if I took SL maths instead) but I think I will really struggle in SL maths and it would bring my overall score down.

I know this question has been asked before but a lot of previous forums are dated from like 2009, so I was wondering if anything has changed since then.

Bonus question: For any present or future med-school applicants; how old were you when you first knew you wanted to become a doctor?
    Hi I go to a school where about 20 of us applied to medicine with maths studies and most of us have received an offer. The only universities that you need maths sl are st Andrews and oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know this is late but for people who want this in the future Norwich also wants standard. My advice is if your good at maths and even through taking SL you think you can get above 35 go for it. But if you think your going to struggle then take studies because points are more important (I.e. if you don't have enough points to get into medicine you won't get in). I have a friend applying for medicine at Oxford with studies, but I think SL and HL are more acceptable for oxbridge.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.