The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 Pollution and Human health at Risk- 2016

Hiyah,

I struggled to find any thread on this option of the unit so thought it would be useful to make one :smile:

Just to let you know the pre-release for 2016 is available now. It seems to be all about pollution control and management to reduce health risks.

Looking at some of the past questions it seems really similar to June 2010's pre release/question, and others have found similarities between their options and previous exams. Seems a bit suspicious...but I'm still going to have a look at mark schemes, examiners reports, etc from that year to give an idea.

Hope this will help everyone
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by JsJsxox
Hiyah,

I struggled to find any thread on this option of the unit so thought it would be useful to make one :smile:

Just to let you know the pre-release for 2016 is available now. It seems to be all about pollution control and management to reduce health risks.

Looking at some of the past questions it seems really similar to June 2010's pre release/question, and others have found similarities between their options and previous exams. Seems a bit suspicious...but I'm still going to have a look at mark schemes, examiners reports, etc from that year to give an idea.

Hope this will help everyone

Hello,I'm also doing this option, have you found any resources to help with this unit?
Reply 3
Original post by Wee chump
Hello,I'm also doing this option, have you found any resources to help with this unit?

hiyah :smile: I haven't found a lot yet, but saying that I haven't looked too hard for anything either. Over the next week or so I'm going to try and look in more depth about it. have you found anything?
Original post by JsJsxox
hiyah :smile: I haven't found a lot yet, but saying that I haven't looked too hard for anything either. Over the next week or so I'm going to try and look in more depth about it. have you found anything?

I haven't found anything yet, it seems quite an unpopular option, ill let you know if i find anything.

What do you think of the pre release this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I haven't found anything yet, it seems quite an unpopular option, ill let you know if i find anything.

What do you think of the pre release this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know!! Which surprises me because I thought it was quite nicely related to a lot of things everyone would have done in the past. For me, it links in really nicely to my AS biology. Thank you so much, I'll do the same too. Can I ask, how much support are you getting from teachers in this unit?

First thoughts were I hated it, just because I hadn't got round to the particular parts of the EQ that it relates to. But looking at some of the past papers (june 2010) and brainstorming a bit with another person it seems quite nice. Although I'm worried it seems easier in some way to what it is- knowing exam boards it'll be a really hard question haha. How about you?
Original post by JsJsxox
I know!! Which surprises me because I thought it was quite nicely related to a lot of things everyone would have done in the past. For me, it links in really nicely to my AS biology. Thank you so much, I'll do the same too. Can I ask, how much support are you getting from teachers in this unit?

First thoughts were I hated it, just because I hadn't got round to the particular parts of the EQ that it relates to. But looking at some of the past papers (june 2010) and brainstorming a bit with another person it seems quite nice. Although I'm worried it seems easier in some way to what it is- knowing exam boards it'll be a really hard question haha. How about you?

Yeah I agree, I did an AS in biology and it certainly helps with remembering the diseases like cholera! Im getting guidelines on what to research but not much else

I thought it was ok, management was the last eq we did so it was fresh in my mind. Got any case studies for it yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i'm doing health and pollution as well, my teachers predicted the real pre release would be on pollution management so we did the June 2010 one : to what extent is pollution control a key strategy in reducing health risks? as a mock And the pre release we got this year is almost exactly the same as the 2010 one! so we were really happy about that, but it means that they have to ask something else, and im really struggling with what else they could ask which wouldn't coincide with the june 2010.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I agree, I did an AS in biology and it certainly helps with remembering the diseases like cholera! Im getting guidelines on what to research but not much else

I thought it was ok, management was the last eq we did so it was fresh in my mind. Got any case studies for it yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accra, Ghana is a good one for small scale pollution management by pure earth.
So is the Montreal protocol- but be careful with this one as although it managed the pollution, it didn't effectively enough manage skin cancer (as skin cancer rates are still rising) due to people wanting to have tanned skin (culture etc.) It gives you some good evaluation opportunities :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, so I was wondering if any of you had like a list of case studies for the pre release- I'm not really sure what I need to know as such for the unit which is stressing me out, and my teacher hasn't really helped apart from telling me to do the 2010 paper, which is great, but I haven't got too much information to actually include

I'm struggling on what i need to know if that makes sense- obviously i need case studies but what types of things to look for, and where to get some of the information from as well- using China as an example is great, but a lot of information is restricted still...it's only bias magazine/news article things.

Also, any idea on some of the background stuff- I never actually did the last eq, I only got up to the 3rd one, which is probably why I'm struggling too, so I have absolutely no basic information, and looking at the spec it seems quite confusing

I know you're probably all busy revising for other things, but if anyone could give me some help that would be so so appreciated- I've out so much time into it, yet seem to have nothing substantial to write an exam with?

thank you so much
do you reckon that the question will be looking for the role played by pollution control in reducing health risk, in comparison to other forms of management? if so it is scarily similar to the 2010 question
Original post by babooshkat
do you reckon that the question will be looking for the role played by pollution control in reducing health risk, in comparison to other forms of management? if so it is scarily similar to the 2010 question

guess I was right, that exam was strangely straightforward.
Reply 12
Original post by babooshkat
guess I was right, that exam was strangely straightforward.

didn't see that you'd replied- and I agree. I ended up loving the question. I wrote the exact question as a guess and ended up answering it the night before which was quite lucky.

Quick Reply

Latest