Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (probably wasting my time posting threads on here as 99.9% go unanswered)

The sudden retreat from Syria has proven Russia doesn't have what it takes to be a superpower.
    Superpowers don't just run away and desert those that need them. Britain and America didn't just desert Afghanistan 6 months after invading.

All that's been achieved by Russia and Assad in the last 6 months stands for nothing as the terrorists will just regroup and start again and things are back to square one. Even a decade of the west being in Afghanistan and Iraq didn't stop those countries descending to chaos and war.

What's your view has Russia lost the plot?

Or

Am I wasting my time writing this thread as it will probably go unanswered or I might manage to get one answer in 12 hrs?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, you thought Russia was a super power? :confused:

Spoiler:
    Show
    P.S. Superpowers can engage in tactical/political withdrawals e.g. see Soviet Union in Afghanistan/US in Iraq FYR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    (probably wasting my time posting threads on here as 99.9% go unanswered)

The sudden retreat from Syria has proven Russia doesn't have what it takes to be a superpower.
    Superpowers don't just run away and desert those that need them. Britain and America didn't just desert Afghanistan 6 months after invading.

All that's been achieved by Russia and Assad in the last 6 months stands for nothing as the terrorists will just regroup and start again and things are back to square one. Even a decade of the west being in Afghanistan and Iraq didn't stop those countries descending to chaos and war.

What's your view has Russia lost the plot?

Or

Am I wasting my time writing this thread as it will probably go unanswered or I might manage to get one answer in 12 hrs?
    No offence .. but I think where Russia went wrong here was to go into Syria to start its campaign in the first place .. rather than having withdrawn from Syria.
    I do not think Russia's withdrawal from Syria means it cannot be a superpower.
    And its withdrawal was not necessarily a retreat.
    Russia ending its campaign and leaving Syria could have had all sorts of reasons behind it - common sense, strategic / political reasons, Russia's own interests etc. Therefore, this in itself is by no means necessarily indicative of Russia's weakness, could actually be to the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't left they are still providing support. They went in and helped give the Syrian army the momentum they need to take back their country and if you've seen the latest victories it is working.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nobody really views Russia as a superpower anymore.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Nobody really views Russia as a superpower anymore.
    This.

But also you have little understanding of what Russia was doing in Syria OP. But aren't you the one who keeps making threads about how ISIS are wining?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.