Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any sports to take up at uni for beginners?

The unis I've applied all seem to have every sport I've ever heard of... so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction! I'm definitely not usually the sporty type (with few athletic 'skills' ) but I'd like to start something that will help me keep fit and make friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Passmeplease)

The unis I've applied all seem to have every sport I've ever heard of... so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction! I'm definitely not usually the sporty type (with few athletic 'skills' ) but I'd like to start something that will help me keep fit and make friends
    To be honest, almost all of them. There may be a few sports which have competitive entry teams and don't take beginners, but these are few and far between (football, for instance). Anything which most people haven't played at school will be happy to take on new members who are brand new to the sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi there!

I completely agree with Origami - virtually all sports teams will be happy to accept beginners! As was said, there may be exceptions, but during your orientation/fresher's week when you start university you will be able to see all the different sports clubs you can join. It's also a great time to pick something a bit different and new, go for something which interests you.

I decided to join the tennis club, it was a huge club and I made friends incredibly quick. It was also a sport I had always wanted to pick up, so a win-win. Some of my friends decided to go for clubs they barely knew anything about, for example Muay Thai, Aikido, Lacrosse, Ultimate Frisbee, etc. Whatever club you join, you'll be able to make friends no problem.

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Badminton is pretty fun and quick to pick up, and when you start off you don't really need that much athletic skill but it's good for improving your general fitness, agility, hand-eye co-ordination etc. There's lots of sports other than that to choose from though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pretty much anything, although the best ones to go for if you want to get really involved are smaller ones (<50 regulars) which have a low equipment cost.

ReputationRep:

Skiing is good you get a real kick from going fast and doing short little turns or even just big wide turns it's really fun sport and chilling afterwards with a mulled wine or hot chocolate is a really good feeling but most people tend not to do it out of season which is a shame but yeah skiing and snowboarding is really fun and we are a friendly bunch.

climbing is also good and also a friendly bunch I've also herd tennis is good.

ReputationRep:

Snowbording is a good club for keeping fit and make friends i found my uni's ski snowbord culb to be really cool and iclusiveeven if you have never tryed the sport befor there are the club nigts usally with club only lessons for beginers (one of our members was a registered instructer) also with ski/bord trips 2 time a year it rocks also climbing is a good club too.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.