Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected in December by Oxford before interview for maths. I had a completely c*** up on the MAT exam(23/100), only prepared for it two days before due to family issues. I have offers from Warwick and UCL. I have seriously been contemplating taking a year out and reapplying as I feel like I can do much better on the MAT with more preperation. I think the Warwick maths department is fantastic, but I really liked Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inert1a)
    I was rejected in December by Oxford before interview for maths. I had a completely c*** up on the MAT exam(23/100), only prepared for it two days before due to family issues. I have offers from Warwick and UCL. I have seriously been contemplating taking a year out and reapplying as I feel like I can do much better on the MAT with more preperation. I think the Warwick maths department is fantastic, but I really liked Oxford.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3823629

Focus on getting the requires grades first. You can reapply whilst at another uni if you wish, or take the year out. Know that you can do it in the end but focus purely on grades and ums atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The question I'd always ask people in your situation to ask themselves is, "Would I feel like I've wasted a year if I reapply and don't get in?". If the answer is yes, I recommend against reapplying. Whilst it's definitely possible to get in through reapplying and you'll find plenty of people who have done this, statistically, the most likely outcome is that you won't get in - which is why I'd only suggest you reapply if you've got something genuinely useful to do next year. Of course, you could start at Warwick or UCL and reapply whilst at university but the issue here is that it'll potentially get very expensive if you do get into Oxford and end up doing your undergraduate for an extra year.

The other issue with Maths in particular is that they don't like you taking a year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    The question I'd always ask people in your situation to ask themselves is, "Would I feel like I've wasted a year if I reapply and don't get in?". If the answer is yes, I recommend against reapplying. Whilst it's definitely possible to get in through reapplying and you'll find plentky of people who have done this, statistically, the most likely outcome is that you won't get in - which is why I'd only suggest you reapply if you've got something genuinely useful to do next year. Of course, you could start at Warwick or UCL and reapply whilst at university but the issue here is that it'll potentially get very expensive if you do get into Oxford and end up doing your undergraduate for an extra year.

The other issue with Maths in particular is that they don't like you taking a year out.
    Is there no way of dropping out of your course and paying only half of the 9k ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Is there no way of dropping out of your course and paying only half of the 9k ?
    Have a look at this article. In short, sort of. It still won't be cheap though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.