The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Straight Econ, PPE and EPAIS career prospects?

Specifically talking about banking/finance, is there any substantial difference between the three in terms of career prospects? Especially PPE and EPAIS.
Which do you think is held in highest regard by employers? From what I could grasp it's marginal, though it would be great to hear something from current students/grads.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adrono
Specifically talking about banking/finance, is there any substantial difference between the three in terms of career prospects? Especially PPE and EPAIS.
Which do you think is held in highest regard by employers? From what I could grasp it's marginal, though it would be great to hear something from current students/grads.

They all open up the same opportunities.

Do whichever you find more interesting, personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
They all open up the same opportunities.

Do whichever you find more interesting, personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright. I've already been offered for PPE. Do you believe that, if I changed my mind, it would be possible to switch to EPAIS before the beginning of the term?

Also a little off-topic, since I saw you answering in many of IB related threads: is there any difference between an "operations analyst" and a "finance analyst"?
Original post by Adrono
Alright. I've already been offered for PPE. Do you believe that, if I changed my mind, it would be possible to switch to EPAIS before the beginning of the term?

Also a little off-topic, since I saw you answering in many of IB related threads: is there any difference between an "operations analyst" and a "finance analyst"?

It's probably possible. I'd give them a ring up to see what they say.

Yes, both are back office though - i.e. less pay, support roles, non-revenue generating.

Operations is the division in which you reconcile and settle trades made by traders, make sure that the money is flowing properly to the correct counterparties. Although, some banks like Goldman, have Data Science and Analytics groups in their Operations department.

Finance is a division within the 'corporate functions' group of an investment bank. They'll deal with making sure the financial statements of the bank are reported accurately - there's a lot of management accounting involved.

The bread and butter revenue generating divisions, with actual bonus upside (but of course much longer hours) are: Sales & Trading (sometimes called 'Securities'), Investment Banking Division, Research, Private Banking/Wealth Management and Asset/Investment Management.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
It's probably possible. I'd give them a ring up to see what they say.

Yes, both are back office though - i.e. less pay, support roles, non-revenue generating.

Operations is the division in which you reconcile and settle trades made by traders, make sure that the money is flowing properly to the correct counterparties. Although, some banks like Goldman, have Data Science and Analytics groups in their Operations department.

Finance is a division within the 'corporate functions' group of an investment bank. They'll deal with making sure the financial statements of the bank are reported accurately - there's a lot of management accounting involved.

The bread and butter revenue generating divisions, with actual bonus upside (but of course much longer hours) are: Sales & Trading (sometimes called 'Securities':wink:, Investment Banking Division, Research, Private Banking/Wealth Management and Asset/Investment Management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand. That was pretty clear. I asked because I was checking the careers section of both Warwick EPAIS/PPE web pages, which only mentioned those two roles (financial and ops analyst, respectively). Does that mean that it is unlikely to get a job in front office from there? Or is it actually common to begin working in the back one?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adrono
I understand. That was pretty clear. I asked because I was checking the careers section of both Warwick EPAIS/PPE web pages, which only mentioned those two roles (financial and ops analyst, respectively). Does that mean that it is unlikely to get a job in front office from there? Or is it actually common to begin working in the back one?

It's unlikely from everywhere, although less unlikely from a target uni, it's still unlikely.. Even if you went to Cambridge, there'd still be no guarantee. But, the one thing you should know is that you decide which division you apply to; if you get 'scared' of the competition (like a lot of people) you'll be inclined to apply for back office or even if you just genuinely enjoy it. No one forces anyone to apply for back office nor do applications get rerouted from front to back.

That all said, Warwick is a target uni and granted you have a decent CV you should get interviews for FO. The rest is on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending