Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently lost my job. No fault of my own the company went bust. Anyway, I really feel like taking a couple of months off and doing nothing, I have the money to do so, I could just do with a break, my job was none stop really and I feel like I haven't had a proper break. Is it wrong for me to do so? I feel somewhat guilty for doing it (if I do) would you think it's acceptable or not?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's morally wrong to use your own money to fund a lifestyle of doing what you want to do sorry, i'm a self confessed authoritarian and think unless your working 20 hours a day for pennies your a parasite.

(Original post by Leccyspark)
    I recently lost my job. No fault of my own the company went bust. Anyway, I really feel like taking a couple of months off and doing nothing, I have the money to do so, I could just do with a break, my job was none stop really and I feel like I haven't had a proper break. Is it wrong for me to do so? I feel somewhat guilty for doing it (if I do) would you think it's acceptable or not?
    What?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To take a few months off
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why would it not be acceptable?

It's your own money and it's your own life which makes it no-one else's business but your own.

My advice and personal opinion would be to use the time wisely though. Don't let lethargy get the better of you. Do something enjoyable and develop a skill for example - learn a musical instrument, learn a language etc. You will feel you have progressed and enriched yourself in the process. Also do a little research into a new job and go to town on your CV. Then when you are ready to get back to work you will have accomplished something for yourself and won't feel bad about the time you had out of work. You will also have something constructive to reply with when your next employer asks you what you did in the intervening period between jobs.

Good luck.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Your life ofc its perfectly fine if you want to take a few months off. Its a good idea to do so before you jump into another job. Enjoy your break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Yeah it's morally wrong to use your own money to fund a lifestyle of doing what you want to do sorry, i'm a self confessed authoritarian and think unless your working 20 hours a day for pennies your a parasite.
    you're************************** ***************

I'm so disappointed in you :/

To take a few months off
    Yes..

Why do you feel guilty?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    you're************************** ***************

I'm so disappointed in you :/
    You know I do that to wind people up right? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    FFS of course it's fine - it's your life, your money and your time.

Just be aware that some companies will ask for your full work history when you apply, so you may have to explain what you were doing during the break.

ReputationRep:
    Just hit the roads man. Nothing good comes out of the 9-5 existence.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Depending what job you want in future, they may ask you to account for any gaps in employment. You might be better off taking a course or doing voluntary work so that at least you have something to explain the gap.

ReputationRep:
    I would hotfoot it out of the country in a heartbeat.

I'm not a slave. If someone doesn't like the fact that I was enjoying some leisure time then that is their problem.

ReputationRep:
    Just lie on your cv and say you did voluntary work during the time if you think employers will ask. Only problem is if they ask for refrences from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I would hotfoot it out of the country in a heartbeat.

I'm not a slave. If someone doesn't like the fact that I was enjoying some leisure time then that is their problem.
    Pretty much how i'd describe a gap in my CV, just do it boldly and honesty and if they don't like it then they can get lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flutterby-x303)
    Just lie on your cv and say you did voluntary work during the time if you think employers will ask. Only problem is if they ask for refrences from it.
    In the absence of a smiley I can only assume you're being serious - if so this is a terrible idea. Getting caught lying on your cv could get you sacked.

There's nothing wrong with taking a long holiday, you don't need to make things up to cover it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    In the absence of a smiley I can only assume you're being serious - if so this is a terrible idea. Getting caught lying on your cv could get you sacked.

There's nothing wrong with taking a long holiday, you don't need to make things up to cover it up.
    I'd only lie if I was going for an acting job. Then i'd be like 'haha fooled you, so I can act'

ReputationRep:

Of course it is acceptable.

You can work, take time off, travel, get another job, leave, join a travelling circus. Your decisions.

I'm guessing you have been influenced by what others have said. People can be quick to make you feel guilty for having some free time.

Don't listen to the jealous 9-5 zombies.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.