The Student Room Group

How to Structure an Essay that doesn't have a direct question?

I'm usually pretty good at essays. I'm used to ones which will either pose a question for you to make points in favour or against, or a statement to discuss for and against.

This time though, the 'question' isn't really a question, but more just telling me to research something. I usually just stick to point, evidence, explain paragraphs, but I'm not really sure what point I'm trying to make as there's no direct question! It dosn't help that I really dislike this side of design as, frankly, it seems to me 99% unhelpful metaphysical ********.

This is what we've been set:

> > You are asked to choose one specific designed object drawn from history or from contemporary culture and research it’s various possible contexts, making use of the contextual and theoretical frameworks and tools of research developed during this unit.

> > From this research your are to write a 2000 word critical analysis of your chosen designed object using principles of material culture, perception (sensory perception and Gestalt Principles of Perception), semiotics and colour theory, as well as discussing its context within the field of cultural anthropology, in order to understand how particular areas of design theory inform practice. As part of your discussion of material culture consider how your object communicates its meaning-is it conveyed in a private or public way and how would you describe the relationship you have with your object-does it in some way define a part of your own identity?

> > It is intended that your essay must demonstrate a knowledge of all the six of the theoretical areas we will have looked at i.e. material culture, colour theory, sensory perception (physiological and psychological), semiotics, Gestalt principles of perception and cultural anthropology. As a means of conveying that you understood all of the six theoretical areas that will be covered as part of the unit you need to indicate whether they do or do not relate to your chosen object.> > Consider the importance of context in relation to the analysis of your chosen designed object and how you can build a greater understanding of the possible relationships between design and the wider social field.

Boiling that down, it seems to want me to 'critically evaluate' an object. Now I understand the structure on how to critically evaluate a statement or even another essay, because you can make points for and against their points, which you then go on to provide evidence for and then explain. How in seven ****s I'm supposed to evaluate an inanimate object is far beyond me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending