Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone else know what government benefits an apprentice can claim for example: a 21 year old on £100 for a 30 hour week, paying rent of £400 a month plus usual bills. Obviously the wage will not even cover the rent. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jahwobbler12)
    Hi does anyone else know what government benefits an apprentice can claim for example: a 21 year old on £100 for a 30 hour week, paying rent of £400 a month plus usual bills. Obviously the wage will not even cover the rent. Thanks.
    Hiya,

I'm not sure but it might say on the government website... also, some apprenticeships offer very generous salaries, particularly the ones in London

ReputationRep:
    If you're a lone student in the house, you get a break on council tax.
    Then obviously your NUS card and all the usual benefits of being a student.

As has already been said, some apprenticeships now pay a lot.

ReputationRep:
    alot of apprenticeships wont let you do it if you have been at uni or are at uni due to funding and being to highly qualified

ReputationRep:
    You can claim working tax credits, it's what I have done. It really helps out for bills etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks all. From my research in theory anyone on a low income (I'm talking about SW UK where£100/150 a week isn't unusual) can claim benefits like housing, council tax relief, working tax credits. I've tried some online calculators but I don't know how accurate they are and none of them seem to consider all possible benefits

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks all. From my research in theory anyone on a low income (I'm talking about SW UK where£100/150 a week isn't unusual) can claim benefits like housing, council tax relief, working tax credits. I've tried some online calculators but I don't know how accurate they are and none of them seem to consider all possible benefits
    I'm not sure personally what you are entitled to but it might be worth contacting something like the Citizens Advice Bureau as they would be able to show you what you can claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melanie-goddard)
    You can claim working tax credits, it's what I have done. It really helps out for bills etc.
    Thats interesting but I had an idea that WTCs are for people with kids, or am I mixing them up with Child Tax Credits?

ReputationRep:
    Thats interesting but I had an idea that WTCs are for people with kids, or am I mixing them up with Child Tax Credits?

Child Tax Credits are another thing, similar though. I thought so too at the start to be honest but I spoke to a really nice guy on the phone and explained my position and he said I would be entitled to some Tax Credits based on my income position. It's always worth a go, every little does help.

ReputationRep:
    Child Tax Credits are another thing, similar though. I thought so too at the start to be honest but I spoke to a really nice guy on the phone and explained my position and he said I would be entitled to some Tax Credits based on my income position. It's always worth a go, every little does help.
    Thats really helpful, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ah just tried a gov calculator which says don't qualify due to 21 years of age : "Claimant(s) who do not have children must work 30 hours per week or more and be aged 25 or over and are not disabled."

ReputationRep:
    Ah just tried a gov calculator which says don't qualify due to 21 years of age : "Claimant(s) who do not have children must work 30 hours per week or more and be aged 25 or over and are not disabled."
    As someone already said, citizens advice is the best way to go. They'll offer you more useful advice, and be able to tell you exactly what you're entitled to. If you are able to claim WTCs then you'll qualify for stuff like free prescriptions etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Hiya,

I'm not sure but it might say on the government website... also, some apprenticeships offer very generous salaries, particularly the ones in London
    And many are very happy to get away will basically having people doing a full-time job for £3.30 an hour which isn't a sustainable wage for anyone but a 16 year old living with their parents.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.