Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hey all,

We're curious to hear your opinions...

If you've chosen the school leaver/apprenticeship route over Uni, what made you do this?

Did you plan to go to uni and change your mind?

It's really interesting to hear different views on this....

Let me know!

Ruth PwC UKCareers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get to hear anything about apprenticeships really when I was in college and I think that's a shame as everyone I know who has done one has been really chuffed with it!

(Original post by PwC UKCareers)
    Hey all,

We're curious to hear your opinions...

If you've chosen the school leaver/apprenticeship route over Uni, what made you do this?

Did you plan to go to uni and change your mind?

It's really interesting to hear different views on this....

Let me know!

Ruth PwC UKCareers
    I was planning to do apprenticeship but at the end I've applied to university...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For me an apprenticeship was perfect.

Had an unexpected family to support and still wanted to do a degree.
    When I started there weren't many degree apprenticeships out there, but luckily, I found myself in an apprenticeship in one of my preferred fields of study and work (currently in Engineering, with the alternative being finance/accountancy)
    I like the break from work to study, and possibly more so, the break from studying to get hands on at work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    I didn't get to hear anything about apprenticeships really when I was in college and I think that's a shame as everyone I know who has done one has been really chuffed with it!
    Hey, apprenticeships still seem to be quite a new thing! Even though they've been around for ages! I remember when I was at school, no one really told me much about these options. Massive shame! There are so many opps for school leavers now. All the big companies are totally on board (us included)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    I was planning to do apprenticeship but at the end I've applied to university...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What made you choose uni in the end? Good luck with you app!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    For me an apprenticeship was perfect.

Had an unexpected family to support and still wanted to do a degree.
    When I started there weren't many degree apprenticeships out there, but luckily, I found myself in an apprenticeship in one of my preferred fields of study and work (currently in Engineering, with the alternative being finance/accountancy)
    I like the break from work to study, and possibly more so, the break from studying to get hands on at work.
    That's what so many people say! That combination of work and study is is such a good way to build your career. Sounds like it worked out well with your family situation too.

(Original post by PwC UKCareers)
    What made you choose uni in the end? Good luck with you app!
    Thanks.

I've chosen uni because I'll have to pay the loans back..

On a serious note, I am studying and working at the same time now. The apprenticeship as well as uni does have their own advantages/disadvantages, but my choice was based on.. Let's just say I don't want to start my proper job too early.

I don't want to say you should do the same because it's not for everyone, if you don't like it, it's all good.

Good luck everyone with your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I chose an apprenticeship because it's a faster route to get into accountancy than going to university and then doing your ACA afterwards. It just made more sense to me. 7 months in and I'm glad I made this decision

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.