Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

currently working in houses of parliament, ama Watch

ReputationRep:
    interning as a political journalist for a major publication, we're housed in the palace of westminster press gallery

what do you want to know about the job, the on goings of parliament, the demographic and what not

note: can't fully disclose all of information due to confidentiality agreements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    interning as a political journalist for a major publication, we're housed in the palace of westminster press gallery

what do you want to know about the job, the on goings of parliament, the demographic and what not

note: can't fully disclose all of information due to confidentiality agreements.
    what a disappointment,

do you see Cameron much?

Do you use nicknames there? If so, are you a wizard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    what a disappointment,

do you see Cameron much?
    he's in downing street most of the time i guess, but we see his press sec (basically) twice a day.. did meet miliband today which was a interesting :lol:

(Original post by Impressive)
    Do you use nicknames there? If so, are you a wizard?
    no, although the others refer to me as that banker trying out journalism.. and whenever i get introduced to MPs they just tell me why i would ever consider such a pay cut

no, although the others refer to me as that banker trying out journalism.. and whenever i get introduced to MPs they just tell me why i would ever consider such a pay cut
    Seems legit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did you get the gig?

Do you prefer Strawberry or Blackcurrant jam?

ReputationRep:

Intern eh?

What's the typical coffee order and how many sugars do most people there like their tea with? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    How did you get the gig?
    interviewed with said publication

(Original post by JBLondon)
    Do you prefer Strawberry or Blackcurrant jam?
    strawberry 100%, hate the black current one

(Original post by Death Grips)
    Intern eh?

What's the typical coffee order and how many sugars do most people there like their tea with? :lol:
    only did 1 coffee run, voluntarily actually.. because i was thirsty and everyone keeps offering me coffee/drinks/lunch which i feel bad for (but utilize to the fullest ).. haven't had to spend money on food etc.. (lunches have usually been offsite, today for instance there was a brexit debate meeting with the head of the Out Campaign in our head office, with a few heads of departments, and managed to fill myself up there )

inb4 cheap skate

in that run only 1 person wanted one and it was milk tea with 2 sugars. no idea what the average would be, given only there's only 4 permanent correspondents with access to parliament here from our publication

ReputationRep:
    gg

ReputationRep:
    he's in downing street most of the time i guess, but we see his press sec (basically) twice a day.. did meet miliband today which was a interesting :lol:
    Interested to hear more about this if you're allowed to divulge?

Please answer as many as appropriate:
    What was he wearing?
    Was he lovely?
    Did he smell nice?
    Did he have a firm handshake?
    What did you chat about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    Interested to hear more about this if you're allowed to divulge?

Please answer as many as appropriate:
    What was he wearing?
    Was he lovely?
    Did he smell nice?
    Did he have a firm handshake?
    What did you chat about?
    What was he wearing?a charcoal grey suit

Was he lovely?- yes, albeit he seemed quite expressionless at first, staring at his phone but I guess MPs have things to do

Did he smell nice?- didn't smell of anything significant, or atleast i didn't notice a smell

Did he have a firm handshake?- as firm as a normal handshake

What did you chat about?
    - can't attest to the details in terms of the political agenda, otherwise the normal introductory topics, what i do, my interests and the likes

whenever i get introduced to MPs they just tell me why i would ever consider such a pay cut
    is that the first thing they say? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    is that the first thing they say? :beard:
    it's a commonality between most i've had the pleasure of meeting..

..not necessarily the first, but i do get questioned on the motives of moving from banking to journalism, which i tend to explain a lot in these interactions

it's a commonality between most i've had the pleasure of meeting..

..not necessarily the first, but i do get questioned on the motives of moving from banking to journalism, which i tend to explain a lot in these interactions
    I see.

just seems a bit weird to me that that's one of the first things they think of lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I see.

just seems a bit weird to me that that's one of the first things they think of lol
    because my colleagues seem to think that's the most interesting fact about me

ReputationRep:
    What political party did you last vote for?

ReputationRep:
    So you aren't aiming to be a banker any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    What political party did you last vote for?
    i've never voted for the simple fact i'm lazy af at heart.

although the party that most aligns to my economic beliefs (which is all i care about tbf with you) has to be the conservatives. although this push with social reform is a bit eery to me given the governments plans of reaching a budget surplus for 2020. nevertheless being the neo-liberal that i am.. it makes the most sense.

regarding the opposition, i think they're a joke really who have backing from people who don't hav a grasp of how the world works (big generalization i understand).. their political push is basically rack up **** tonnes of debt, which is economically unsustainable.

the national debt is nearing £1.6trn if memory serves correctly, we can't keep spending. someone at some point is going to have to be realistic with continous cutting, and i think it's sensible for tackling the problem now rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrammarGuru)
    So you aren't aiming to be a banker any more?
    i enjoy this job a lot more but i think now i've had a taste of 'that' life / lifestyle, it's hard to accept going back to leading an 'average' graduate living standard. besides i don't work long enough in a day.. i get bored when i go home, in banking.. i never go home :lol:

i think sadly its due to my inherit ego more than anything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.