Turn on thread page Beta

Spoken language CAT help watch

ReputationRep:
    For my english language,i have to write about the way people change the way they speak at work.I have an idea on what im going to do,however, i need some more ideas on how they change their language and how to conclude

ReputationRep:
    Is this how they change within the one workplace or how they way language changes over different work?

For the first one you could consider an exchange between two colleagues, an exchange between a customer assistant and a customer who is a regular and an exchange between a customer who is not. So the best example I can think of for this is a coffee shop - an exchange between colleagues is most likely to be of a more informal register, equal power between both participants, friendly discourse etc. An exchange with a regular customer could take on the same features. However, an exchange with a customer who isn't regular will be more formal, more polite, friendly but not familiar. Think about what would be the norms of these conversations eg regular customer saying: my usual

If it's looking at different workplaces consider a pub, a gourmet restaurant and somewhere like Starbucks. Think about the norms for these places too: in a pub you find your own seat and go to the bar to be served, restaurant with waitress service and Starbucks asking for a customers name and not bringing the order to the customer. And then consider the differences in language through register, discourse, expected outcomes etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbymonty)
    Is this how they change within the one workplace or how they way language changes over different work?

For the first one you could consider an exchange between two colleagues, an exchange between a customer assistant and a customer who is a regular and an exchange between a customer who is not. So the best example I can think of for this is a coffee shop - an exchange between colleagues is most likely to be of a more informal register, equal power between both participants, friendly discourse etc. An exchange with a regular customer could take on the same features. However, an exchange with a customer who isn't regular will be more formal, more polite, friendly but not familiar. Think about what would be the norms of these conversations eg regular customer saying: my usual

If it's looking at different workplaces consider a pub, a gourmet restaurant and somewhere like Starbucks. Think about the norms for these places too: in a pub you find your own seat and go to the bar to be served, restaurant with waitress service and Starbucks asking for a customers name and not bringing the order to the customer. And then consider the differences in language through register, discourse, expected outcomes etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its why they change within the workplace

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.