Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took my braces off 6 months ago and wore my retainer for 2 days only because of the huge amount of pain I suffered from I never wore them again, but now I have a huge gap between my front teeth which keeps getting bigger and bigger, ive lost my retainers and my dentist said I need to pay £133.65 to get retainers fitted again, but because of the gap in my teeth which have formed I'm worried if ill have to get braces again, its only a small gap so will retainers fix this?

ReputationRep:
    someone help???? will retainer fix the gap in my front teeth??

ReputationRep:
    Retainers are made to keep your teeth in the same spot so I think they'll stop the gap from getting bigger but I don't think they'll close it
    Could be wrong though - ask your orthodontist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathartic)
    someone help???? will retainer fix the gap in my front teeth??
    No, the retainers will be molded to your teeth as they are now, in order to stop them moving further. So unless you pay to have braces again your teeth will stay as they are now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if they're getting re-molded they will keep your teeth the way they are, but there might be something your orthodontist can do so definitely speak to them about it.

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL same with me basically

i had braces for 2 yrs and the woman was really horrible and it seemed as though she was rushing it every time i cme and brackets, wires etc could legit fall out an hr like after my appointment so i would have to have emergency appointments etc
    my teeth were proper bad tho and even when she took out the braces after my 2 year course some of the teeth were still wonky, there wasnt much difference due to how rubbish she did it, but she said that the retainers would make them straight she wasnt very clear and was giving the wrong information.

so after 6 months of wearing retainers, still nothing changed, my teeth werent straight they just stayed the same so mum went into the dentist again and complained, they however told us that the woman who did my braces had retired. my mum was furious, and even now we are still in contact with her about this. ive wasted 2 yrs on nothing tbh

so they allowed me to go on for another 2 yr course and i still have braces and its a new dentist who is real good and he said that RETAINERS ARE ONLY THERE TO KEEP YOUR TEETH IN PLACE SO THEY DONT GET OUT OF PLACE he was real clear.

so basically long story short, retainers only keep your teeth in place and dont make ur teeth straight

and having braces for 4 yrs is a waste of time and pain

-sigh

and braces r coming off in 4 weeks woo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL same with me basically

i had braces for 2 yrs and the woman was really horrible and it seemed as though she was rushing it every time i cme and brackets, wires etc could legit fall out an hr like after my appointment so i would have to have emergency appointments etc
    my teeth were proper bad tho and even when she took out the braces after my 2 year course some of the teeth were still wonky, there wasnt much difference due to how rubbish she did it, but she said that the retainers would make them straight she wasnt very clear and was giving the wrong information.

so after 6 months of wearing retainers, still nothing changed, my teeth werent straight they just stayed the same so mum went into the dentist again and complained, they however told us that the woman who did my braces had retired. my mum was furious, and even now we are still in contact with her about this. ive wasted 2 yrs on nothing tbh

so they allowed me to go on for another 2 yr course and i still have braces and its a new dentist who is real good and he said that RETAINERS ARE ONLY THERE TO KEEP YOUR TEETH IN PLACE SO THEY DONT GET OUT OF PLACE he was real clear.

so basically long story short, retainers only keep your teeth in place and dont make ur teeth straight

and having braces for 4 yrs is a waste of time and pain

-sigh

and braces r coming off in 4 weeks woo
    LOOOOOOOL my dentist was such a ***** hated her lmao my dentist isn't as bad as yours is tho & I'm gonna have to pay £120 to get retainers idc if my teeth don't go back to normal they aren't that bad rn it's just a small gap even tho it's noticeable I can live with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathartic)
    LOOOOOOOL my dentist was such a ***** hated her lmao my dentist isn't as bad as yours is tho & I'm gonna have to pay £120 to get retainers idc if my teeth don't go back to normal they aren't that bad rn it's just a small gap even tho it's noticeable I can live with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh man my dentist was bare racist 2

also my retainers r free so yh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.