Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What on earth? :rofl:

I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed, even though I strongly oppose the rationale behind it :erm:

And it looks like at least two people failed to abide by the rules :naughty: :toofunny:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Must be fun...good luck hooking up my mussie bros 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Outrageous. What next? Gender-segregated education? Clubs that only admit men? Oh wait, we do such things already.

We are not looking to import more of it from other cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    You're right, one takes place over many years, one is a single night out. This is more comparable to a stag do or a hen party than say a school which has a blanket ban on any kid with XX chromosomes.

With the exception of left wingers and feminists, we are happy to accept gender segregation or even total gender exclusion why it concerns our own culture, but if it involves Islam people get mad. Which isn't to see I agree with a segregated social function, but the cognitive dissonance needs to be pointed out.
    Disagree, we are not happy to accept it in our own culture. That's like saying that we have separate male and female toilet facilities and that this is proof that we support segregation.

The reasoning behind such separation in the examples you have is, in 2016, so different (in the vast majority of cases) to that which is occurring in OPs article you just cannot make this comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    It's meant to be an Islamic society, but its seems the more 'moderate' Muslims weren't considered when they decided to segregate by gender.

"Other students have spoken out against the segregation - saying it has 'intimidated' some Muslims who want to celebrate their faith without the strict gender divide."
    Look, this is an Islamic society which obviously follows the basis of Islam which discourages free-mixing, if the more 'moderate' Muslims aren't happy with that, then they are more than welcome to leave cos they are not abiding by the rules of the society. It's as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    It's their society so let them do what they want. It doesn't directly affect any of you, does it?
    (Original post by BhagwanNoBhool)
    All these drama queens in this thread trying to curb individual freedom :noway:
    Lol TSRians always feel the need to moan about something one way or another. Especially if it's to do with Islam though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So what its the islamic society they can do what they like its not like their beheading people stop annoying muslims and bringing up small ****

ReputationRep:
    It's an Islamic society. Would you be surprised if they didn't serve any alcohol or pork at the dinner?

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I rejected LSE.

(Original post by BaconandSauce)
    'Nona Buckley-Irvine, the head of LSE's student union and a self-professed feminist, attended the dinner and insisted that the atmosphere was 'comfortable and relaxed' despite the gender divide.'

says it all really
    Couldn't make it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretsOut)
    Nothing wrong with it. Britain has been destroyed by years of immoral Jewish teachings like promiscuity, gender theory they push.

Also race mixing is bad because if you are mixed, you are mixed, neither black, white, asian, whatever.

I support racial and ethnic purity it is what separates us and that makes us diverse.

Nazi like you say? no, look at the Jews as proof. They've lived without a homeland for how long? but even to this day are very selective who they mix with...
    Race mixing is fine, nothing wrong with just being mixed. Don't be so romantic,

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I fully support the rights and freedom of these people to act like regressive morons if they so wish..............

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyCherry)
    Look, this is an Islamic society which obviously follows the basis of Islam which discourages free-mixing, if the more 'moderate' Muslims aren't happy with that, then they are more than welcome to leave cos they are not abiding by the rules of the society. It's as simple as that.
    Fair enough, glad you could clear that up. So these moderate Muslims aren't real Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Lol TSRians always feel the need to moan about something one way or another. Especially if it's to do with Islam though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Freedom is only ok when you do what they want you to do lol

(Original post by champ_mc99)
    It's an Islamic society. Would you be surprised if they didn't serve any alcohol or pork at the dinner?
    They don't have bacon on the menu! How un-British! Ban it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretsOut)
    Nothing wrong with it. Britain has been destroyed by years of immoral Jewish teachings like promiscuity, gender theory they push.

Also race mixing is bad because if you are mixed, you are mixed, neither black, white, asian, whatever.

I support racial and ethnic purity it is what separates us and that makes us diverse.

Nazi like you say? no, look at the Jews as proof. They've lived without a homeland for how long? but even to this day are very selective who they mix with...
    What does race mixing even have to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    Freedom is only ok when you do what they want you to do lol
    Being segregated by gender is freedom? I didn't realise.

ReputationRep:
    London School of Economics Islamic Society holds annual gender segregated dinner.

"Muslim students from the London School of Economics had to buy separate tickets to the society's annual dinner depending on whether they were a 'brother' or a 'sister'. There was a large screen separating the men's tables from the women's ones, stopping the attendees from even looking at each other. "

'It's been going on for quite a while,' one LSE undergraduate said. 'I don't think it's ever been brought to the university's attention."

Should this be allowed?

As i'm a Muslim myself, here's my answer.
    The 2 genders are segregated in a mosque so that they are avoided as much as possible to not get their minds drifted off thinking about the opposite sex (infront/beside them). But in this case, i don't see why they did it in this case as 1) they are not praying 2) its not haram/forbidden for males and females to have dinner together as long as they take inconsideration of their modesty etc.
    Therefore, in this case they should just eat together; what they did here was very unnecessary, as not only is it not mentioned as something you must do in my religion but it also gave us a bad and sexist image; and i think with the media, extremist govs (e.g saudi, iran) and islamaphobic, uneducated interpretations we already get enough of it these days. They should be showing the real-side of Islam with the ways and actions our prophets taught us, not what the media and saudi arabia teaches us. (and fun fact if these Muslims didn't know already, well if you lowered your gaze and controlled your hormones while treating the opposite sex wit respect, you'd most likely get a reward for it in the hereafter rather than just splitting each other up as if the other group is satanic or something)
    - Sorry, for the long post; but i'm trying as hard as i can to show people that my religion isn't what these people make it out to be; and that as a Muslim i also think what they are doing is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Being segregated by gender is freedom? I didn't realise.
    They made the decision to attend the event, did they not?

ReputationRep:
    They made the decision to attend the event, did they not?
    Yes, they chose to not to have freedom.

By the way, they may have chose to attend the event, they didn't necessarily choose to have gender segregation. Maybe some people just wanted to attend the annual Islamic society dinner and decided to go along with the whole gender segregation thing anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they chose to not to have freedom.

By the way, they chose to attend the event, they didn't choose to have gender segregation. Maybe some people just wanted to attend the annual Islamic society dinner and decided to go along with the whole gender segregation thing anyway...
    They knew from the very beginning that there would be gender segregation because it happens at most, if not, all major Islamic events. They knew that and decided to go anyway. They made that decision. If they didn't want that, then they shouldn't have gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    lols, the irony of your response actually being anti-western itself.

One of the key principles of Western thought is free speech & action as long as it doesnt cause harm to others.

If these people choose to have segregated dinners then that's their choice, and as long as it doesnt cause harm to others - which it doesnt - then why should anyone else care.
    (Original post by 79deeas)
    The hypocrisy is unreal.
    Gender segregation is illegal regardless of religion in the West.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.