Turn on thread page Beta

LSE Islamic Society Holds Gender Segregated Dinner. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
    'This dinner was a private function, off-campus and organised by a society of the Students' Union, which itself is a legally separate body to LSE.'
    ^ .
    As the segregation was voluntary and the people who went to the dinner wanted the segregation, then there's not really an issue here.
    They are free to do it, we are free to criticise it. All the fact it's a private function entitles them to is that it won't be regulated or proscribed by the state; that doesn't mean it is immune from comment or critique

There is no question that gender segregation in public spaces is a misogynistic practice; the myth that you can have "separate but equal" was well and truly debunked by the US Supreme Court when they struck down segregation laws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    If it is a privately organised and funded function on private property, then it's nobody else's business but theirs.
    I would disagree with that insofar as I believe we are entitled to criticise. Not to regulate, not to proscribe, but yes; we are free to criticise even private practices, just as I would criticise a church that had a rule that homosexual members of the church had to be the servants of the non-homosexuals, or a cult group where the women were not allowed to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by string56)
    If it's of any interest, the gender segregation within Islam seems to have contributed to some problems in some muslim majority countries.
    Excellent citation of the 'Kingdom in the Closet' article. Segregation of the sexes leads to rampant homosexual behaviour. In theory, to a gay person like me, that sounds vaguely hot.

But in reality it encourages a quite ugly, repressed and sometimes violent form of homosexual conduct that is bad for everyone involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    I would disagree with that insofar as I believe we are entitled to criticise. Not to regulate, not to proscribe, but yes; we are free to criticise even private practices, just as I would criticise a church that had a rule that homosexual members of the church had to be the servants of the non-homosexuals, or a cult group where the women were not allowed to work.
    Oh, I agree. Criticism of ideas and actions goes without saying. Sometimes I'll criticise stuff I agree with, just to make sure I am justified in my approval! What I meant was, it's their business whether they hold such events if no laws are being broken and they are not using public/university spaces or funds.

ReputationRep:
    So apparently a feminist endorsed and helped run this event. Not surprising, you could hold an Islamic rape convention and a female torture snuff film premiere and feminists will gush all over it.

"It's not rape when a muslim does it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butternuts96)
    Lol, what on Earth do you mean gender segregation isn't a rule in Islam? It is 100% a fundamental rule in Islam. There are multiple Quranic verses and several authentic hadiths on gender segregation. Why are you spreading false information about Islam?
    Lool clearly you don't know what you're talking about, it's more ideal for them to be segregated but if someone had a wedding or a party and they didn't want it to segregated it's nothing bad... Things like not drinking alcohol is a rule but gender segregation is minor and more of a preference so chill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEstudentt)
    Lool clearly you don't know what you're talking about, it's more ideal for them to be segregated but if someone had a wedding or a party and they didn't want it to segregated it's nothing bad... Things like not drinking alcohol is a rule but gender segregation is minor and more of a preference so chill
    Don't be an imbecile. I've studied the religion much more than you have. Verses in the Quran tell men and women to not look at each other more than a first glance. Authentic hadiths tell us that segregation was enforced by Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him). Can you bring an evidence that freemixing is allowed?

If not, you proved that you were literally speaking from the top of your mind and your experiences in your culture rather than for Islam. Seriously, if you don't know any Quranic verses or authentic hadiths, then please don't speak on behalf of Islam.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I still can't believe a little kid says to me "You don't know what you're talking about".

ReputationRep:
    If it's of any interest, the gender segregation within Islam seems to have contributed to some problems in some muslim majority countries.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Gender segregation in Islam, has contributed to the continued practice of cousin marriages and a rise in inbreeding problems...

[i]

Gender segregation (you might say inevitably) has lead to an inability to interact maturely and empathize with the opposite sex, with the prohibition of consensual premarital relationships exacerbating the problem of interaction and empathy further, by not being able to develop and gain relationship experience and not being able to ascertain to whom one is sexually compatible with, cue sexual harassment...

[i]

And then there's the contribution to a rise in homosexual relationships...

How ridiculous. That has nothing to do with Islamic rulings. That's related to culture. The indian sub-continent like having cousin marriages even though Islam discourages it (it isn't forbidden; it is discouraged by Islam).

Also, how can gender segregation be causing cousin marriages? Gender segregation means not speaking to females cousins as well. It's only their sister, mother and maternal aunties who men are permitted to speak to normally.

ReputationRep:
    Even when I was a Muslim, I despised segregation and avoided any associated events if I could help it.

ReputationRep:
    How ridiculous. That has nothing to do with Islamic rulings. That's related to culture.
    Religion influences culture, culture influences religion. "Nothing to do with Islam", what? gender segregation or some of the perceived uncomfortable consequences i.e. An increase in homosexual relationships.

It is clear that the Islamic sanctioning of "gender segregation", has contributed to some "undesired" problems.

The indian sub-continent like having cousin marriages even though Islam discourages it (it isn't forbidden; it is discouraged by Islam).
    Yes, Islam permits cousin marriages and that there's no firm prohibition against it, furthermore the Muslim world seems to have quite high rates of consanguinity...

http://www.consang.net/index.php/Summary

Maybe you should be more vocal against cousin marriages huh, if you're opposed to it.

Also, how can gender segregation be causing cousin marriages? Gender segregation means not speaking to females cousins as well. It's only their sister, mother and maternal aunties who men are permitted to speak to normally.
    It seems you may have rushed in actually reading the post...

“There’s a misconception that parents often force their daughters to marry within the family. Our segregated lifestyle often doesn’t allow for mixing of the sexes except within the family environment, so many times the only chance of falling in love is within the family, because you are completely closed off from others,” Saudi author Samar Fatany told Reuters.

"In recent years Gulf countries have introduced mandatory premarital testing for genetic diseases including sickle cell anaemia, as well as infectious diseases such as hepatitis and HIV. In Qatar, counselling is required if a potential genetic problem is detected, though the couple are free to marry if they choose"

http://www.dawn.com/news/707896/young-arabs-question-centuries-old-tradition-of-cousin-marriages

ReputationRep:
    Religion influences culture, culture influences religion. "Nothing to do with Islam", what? gender segregation or some of the perceived uncomfortable consequences i.e. An increase in homosexual relationships.

It is clear that the Islamic sanctioning of "gender segregation", has contributed to some "undesired" problems.

Yes, Islam permits cousin marriages and that there's no firm prohibition against it, furthermore the Muslim world seems to have quite high rates of consanguinity...

http://www.consang.net/index.php/Summary

Maybe you should be more vocal against cousin marriages huh, if you're opposed to it.

It seems you may have rushed in actually reading the post...

[i]

It's fair to say religion influences culture but don't be vague and say stuff like culture influences religion. Islam is fundamentally separate from culture but what you might find are certain characteristics present in both.

I did not hasten my reading of your post. Islam's stance on mixing with the opposite gender has no effect on promoting homosexuality. There is absolutely no statistics to prove that and it is more likely that it is some other factor that causes him to be gay.

(Side point: Even if that thought were to be entertained, wouldn't the gay people be offended when we say that homosexuality is learnt? Don't they believe that it is a natural genetic thing?)

When you say Muslim world having high consanguinity, are you aware of how ignorant and misrepresentative that is? All you have done is bring a statistic on consanguinity around the world and you decide to call the Indian sub-continent "The Muslim world". The muslims in these countries endorse cousin marriages as part of their culture. This is similar to the Sikhs and Hindus and other religions of that region. How can you just say "muslim world"?

Get out here with your sub-standard tablod-style comments.

ReputationRep:
    It's fair to say religion influences culture but don't be vague and say stuff like culture influences religion. Islam is fundamentally separate from culture but what you might find are certain characteristics present in both.
    So you acknowledge religion influences culture. And yes culture does sometime influence religion, so much so it can lead to new changes/interpretations of religion, to which you may not like and rather deny, due to possibly leading to perceived 'heretical' interpretations. i.e. This is where claims of "That's not true Islam", seem to often come in.

I did not hasten my reading of your post. Islam's stance on mixing with the opposite gender has no effect on promoting homosexuality. There is absolutely no statistics to prove that and it is more likely that it is some other factor that causes him to be gay.
    Hey, I understand you're a Muslim apologist, who presumably believes gender segregation is beneficial to a Muslim society's welfare, despite what some of the reported consequences seem to entail. From an impartial stance, I think its quite plausible that gender segregation, can cause a rise/interest in same sex relations. Presumably as a Muslim, this must be uncomfortable, hence your denial of the article quoted.

When you say Muslim world having high consanguinity, are you aware of how ignorant and misrepresentative that is? All you have done is bring a statistic on consanguinity around the world and you decide to call the Indian sub-continent "The Muslim world".
    Yes, let's deny a referenced consanguinity map, because you're a Muslim apologist who seems to be uncomfortable with reality of high consanguinity rates, featured in the Muslim world.

Moreover I'm not sure why you brought up the Indian subcontinent, I don't deny cousin marriages are featured there, it is in fact revealed in the consanguinity map.

And I never stated the Indian subcontinent to be the "Muslim world", not that the subcontinent doesn't feature numerous Muslims. Your reading comprehension appears to be faulty.

Get out here with your sub-standard tablod-style comments.
    This seems to translate as "Wah! Wah! I don't like what you said, please go away".

Feel free to ignore my posts.

ReputationRep:
    When islam was being invented, aspects of the surrounding cultures were intergrated into it; women having to cover up, for instance. That was in previous culture (Byzantine, I believe), denoting women as property, which islam obviously agreed with.

ReputationRep:
    For me, as long as muslims dont commit violence, its the best i can ask for. I dont expect anything more from them.

ReputationRep:
    https://talesofcourage.wordpress.com...f-the-problem/
    On gender segregation – “You either help us or quit being part of the problem”

ReputationRep:
    Gender segregation means not speaking to females cousins as well. It's only their sister, mother and maternal aunties who men are permitted to speak to normally.
    I have no words. What you have just said does not belong in the 21st Century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    When islam was being invented, aspects of the surrounding cultures were intergrated into it; women having to cover up, for instance. That was in previous culture (Byzantine, I believe), denoting women as property, which islam obviously agreed with.
    What a strange statement. Islam suggests nothing about women being seen as property but of course, you islamophobes/feminists love to see Islam through your corrupt lenses. At the time Islam came about, the women had done the opposite and WEREN'T covered up. In fact, the higher ups from the women used to display their assests. Get outta here, mate.

ReputationRep:
    it's there society so i don't see the issue. plus it's not illegal. they can do whatever they want for god sake it's a free country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    See statement from the LSE Student Union on this:

http://lsesu.tumblr.com/post/1411558...-annual-dinner
    What an absolutely revolting statement that is. I wonder if they were around in Mississippi 50-ish years ago, sitting at a whites-only counter, whether they'd be saying 'Voluntarily the diner had different seating areas for whites and blacks in line with their political requirements'. The lengths the regressive left will go to in defence of inequality and bigotry, as long as brown people are doing it, is absolutely astonishing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noey123)
    it's there society so i don't see the issue. plus it's not illegal. they can do whatever they want for god sake it's a free country
    If they were segregating people by race, would you see an issue, or also claim 'they can do what they want, it's a free country'? Or if you think it's wrong to segregate by race, why is not wrong to segregate by gender?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.