Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi so I have to pick my modules for next year and in semester 1 I have gone for the following core modules; Advanced constitutional law, Advanced Equity and Trusts, Advanced law of contract.

For semester 2, the other cores module I have chosen is Private law aspects of company law. Then the other 2, which are not core, are Eu Business and commercial law and banking and financial services regulation.

My question is will firms mind these choices? Will it stand me in good stead studying commercial heavy modules? I have a genuine interest in that sort of thing so not just doing it to maximises my chances haha. Or would it be better to drop one of them and do criminal instead? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Hi so I have to pick my modules for next year and in semester 1 I have gone for the following core modules; Advanced constitutional law, Advanced Equity and Trusts, Advanced law of contract.

For semester 2, the other cores module I have chosen is Private law aspects of company law. Then the other 2, which are not core, are Eu Business and commercial law and banking and financial services regulation.

My question is will firms mind these choices? Will it stand me in good stead studying commercial heavy modules? I have a genuine interest in that sort of thing so not just doing it to maximises my chances haha. Or would it be better to drop one of them and do criminal instead? Thanks
    It sounds like you want to pursue commercial law and so this all sounds very reasonable. You have to remember most legal recruiters are recruiting non-law grads who don't have exposure to any law modules, so aligning your module choices to what the potential firm works in is really a fairly minor point. You could show your interest in what they do through other evidence on your CV/application. It is just choosing modules is often one of the easier ways of presenting this information!

My advice is to choose what you think you will enjoy and excel in - this is far more likely to influence how you are perceived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It sounds like you want to pursue commercial law and so this all sounds very reasonable. You have to remember most legal recruiters are recruiting non-law grads who don't have exposure to any law modules, so aligning your module choices to what the potential firm works in is really a fairly minor point. You could show your interest in what they do through other evidence on your CV/application. It is just choosing modules is often one of the easier ways of presenting this information!

My advice is to choose what you think you will enjoy and excel in - this is far more likely to influence how you are perceived.
    thanks for the great advice!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.