Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1) why does graphite have a higher melting temp than that of buckminsterfullerene

2) does buckminsterfullerene conduct electricity or not.... my book says it doesnt but it has one delocalised electron so it doesnt really make sense:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    1) why does graphite have a higher melting temp than that of buckminsterfullerene

2) does buckminsterfullerene conduct electricity or not.... my book says it doesnt but it has one delocalised electron so it doesnt really make sense:/
    Buckminsterfullerine has a simple molecular structure so has weak covalent bonds between carbon atoms however graphite has a giant covalent structure and has 3 strong covalent bonds bonded to each carbon atom. Thus graphite has a higher melting temp than that of the buckminsterfullerene

Yes it does if something has a delocalised electrons then as far as i know it conducts electricity sounds like your book's wrong....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Buckminsterfullerine has a simple molecular structure so has weak covalent bonds between carbon atoms however graphite has a giant covalent structure and has 3 strong covalent bonds bonded to each carbon atom. Thus graphite has a higher melting temp than that of the buckminsterfullerene

Yes it does if something has a delocalised electrons then as far as i know it conducts electricity sounds like your book's wrong....
    wait how do covalent bonds break by melting arent only the intermolecular forces that are broken!!

ReputationRep:
    wait how do covalent bonds break by melting arent only the intermolecular forces that are broken!!
    right that's right so many strong covalent bonds must be broken to melt graphite.<---- requires lots of energy

in the buckminsterfullerine to melt it you must LOOSEN the intermolecular forces.<----- requires not much energy
    (break the forces(i.e. completely remove them means you boil the substance and it changes its state into a gas)

ReputationRep:
    right that's right so many strong covalent bonds must be broken to melt graphite.<---- requires lots of energy

in the buckminsterfullerine to melt it you must LOOSEN the intermolecular forces.<----- requires not much energy
    (break the forces(i.e. completely remove them means you boil the substance and it changes its state into a gas)
    thank u sooo much!!
    so the covalent bonds are broken during melting only in macromolecular structures like diamond and graphite right? other than that its only the intermolecular forces affected !?

ReputationRep:
    thank u sooo much!!
    so the covalent bonds are broken during melting only in macromolecular structures like diamond and graphite right? other than that its only the intermolecular forces affected !?
    yea that's true but if you want to boil the macromolecular stuff like diamond( xD) then you'll have to break the bonds aswell.
    yes the forces are LOOSENED as we put it if you say you want to melt a simple molecular substance. ^-^

ReputationRep:
    yea that's true but if you want to boil the macromolecular stuff like diamond( xD) then you'll have to break the bonds aswell.
    yes the forces are LOOSENED as we put it if you say you want to melt a simple molecular substance. ^-^
    thanks a lot for helping xxx

ReputationRep:
    The delocalised electron may be free to move around the molecule, but how could it jump from one molecule to the next? and hence how could electricity flow throughout the structure?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.