Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, currently re sitting the first year of college studying biology chemistry maths and physics. Had a bad year last year with bullying etc which reflected upon my results;
    Chemistry-E
    Biology-D
    Physics-U
    Maths-E
    However I moved colleges and am back on track this year hoping to get four A's. Just wondering what impact this will have when I apply for dentistry? I've done work experience etc got 10 A*'s at GCSE and grade 8 pianist under my belt but just wondering is there much more i can do apart from get the grades and apply? Or is my best bet to apply abroad?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah2082)
    Hi guys, currently re sitting the first year of college studying biology chemistry maths and physics. Had a bad year last year with bullying etc which reflected upon my results;
    Chemistry-E
    Biology-D
    Physics-U
    Maths-E
    However I moved colleges and am back on track this year hoping to get four A's. Just wondering what impact this will have when I apply for dentistry? I've done work experience etc got 10 A*'s at GCSE and grade 8 pianist under my belt but just wondering is there much more i can do apart from get the grades and apply? Or is my best bet to apply abroad?
    Thanks in advance
    You need a lot of work experience/ do voluntary work too! Some universities wont take on students who take more than 3 years to complete A levels (so how your resitting) whereas others do but the requirments will be much higher for you since u retook the year such as 3A*A ect. I have a friend who has applied to a uni abroad in Spain for dentistry after resitting the year as he failed his AS levels and got 3E'S i think, and he got in, they tend to take students from abroad more! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about what you went through last year. I've applied for Dentistry this year so I know a fair bit about the requirements and things. Your GCSEs are fab (well done!) and it sounds like you're back on track. However, I would advise you to research all the UK universities and their requirements in depth as some don't accept applications from people who've completed their A-Levels in more than 2 years, so it would be a shame to waste a choice on those particular unis.

Good luck this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by november321)
    You need a lot of work experience/ do voluntary work too! Some universities wont take on students who take more than 3 years to complete A levels (so how your resitting) whereas others do but the requirments will be much higher for you since u retook the year such as 3A*A ect. I have a friend who has applied to a uni abroad in Spain for dentistry after resitting the year as he failed his AS levels and got 3E'S i think, and he got in, they tend to take students from abroad more! x
    Thanks for responding!! Yes voluntary work I do need to do some of that, I tried to apply to hospices etc. but they said not until I was 18. I'm 18 this may so should definitely start looking into that now. Do you know the name of the Spanish university? Ahhh there is hope!! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NainaK98)
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about what you went through last year. I've applied for Dentistry this year so I know a fair bit about the requirements and things. Your GCSEs are fab (well done!) and it sounds like you're back on track. However, I would advise you to research all the UK universities and their requirements in depth as some don't accept applications from people who've completed their A-Levels in more than 2 years, so it would be a shame to waste a choice on those particular unis.

Good luck this year!
    Thank you! Where have you applied to? What subjects/grades did you get at AS and what experience etc have you done? Any tips to stand out on my personal statement? Yes you're exactly right I have rang around a few such as Liverpool etc and majority say no to resits unless they were due to extenuating circumstances which i'm not sure they will think bullying is but I suppose it's worth a try...

Thanks a lot, all the same to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah2082)
    Thanks for responding!! Yes voluntary work I do need to do some of that, I tried to apply to hospices etc. but they said not until I was 18. I'm 18 this may so should definitely start looking into that now. Do you know the name of the Spanish university? Ahhh there is hope!! X
    No problem, try doing voluntary work at a care home with elderly people or at a nursery/charity shop. The name of the uni is UEM (universidad europea de Madrid). Call them up for guidance or order their brochure x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.