Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, currently re sitting the first year of college studying biology chemistry maths and physics. Had a bad year last year with bullying etc which reflected upon my results;
    Chemistry-E
    Biology-D
    Physics-U
    Maths-E
    However I moved colleges and am back on track this year hoping to get four A's. Just wondering what impact this will have when I apply for dentistry? I've done work experience etc got 10 A*'s at GCSE and grade 8 pianist under my belt but just wondering is there much more i can do apart from get the grades and apply? Or is my best bet to apply abroad?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah2082)
    Hi guys, currently re sitting the first year of college studying biology chemistry maths and physics. Had a bad year last year with bullying etc which reflected upon my results;
    Chemistry-E
    Biology-D
    Physics-U
    Maths-E
    However I moved colleges and am back on track this year hoping to get four A's. Just wondering what impact this will have when I apply for dentistry? I've done work experience etc got 10 A*'s at GCSE and grade 8 pianist under my belt but just wondering is there much more i can do apart from get the grades and apply? Or is my best bet to apply abroad?
    Thanks in advance
    You need a lot of work experience/ do voluntary work too! Some universities wont take on students who take more than 3 years to complete A levels (so how your resitting) whereas others do but the requirments will be much higher for you since u retook the year such as 3A*A ect. I have a friend who has applied to a uni abroad in Spain for dentistry after resitting the year as he failed his AS levels and got 3E'S i think, and he got in, they tend to take students from abroad more! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about what you went through last year. I've applied for Dentistry this year so I know a fair bit about the requirements and things. Your GCSEs are fab (well done!) and it sounds like you're back on track. However, I would advise you to research all the UK universities and their requirements in depth as some don't accept applications from people who've completed their A-Levels in more than 2 years, so it would be a shame to waste a choice on those particular unis.

Good luck this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by november321)
    You need a lot of work experience/ do voluntary work too! Some universities wont take on students who take more than 3 years to complete A levels (so how your resitting) whereas others do but the requirments will be much higher for you since u retook the year such as 3A*A ect. I have a friend who has applied to a uni abroad in Spain for dentistry after resitting the year as he failed his AS levels and got 3E'S i think, and he got in, they tend to take students from abroad more! x
    Thanks for responding!! Yes voluntary work I do need to do some of that, I tried to apply to hospices etc. but they said not until I was 18. I'm 18 this may so should definitely start looking into that now. Do you know the name of the Spanish university? Ahhh there is hope!! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NainaK98)
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about what you went through last year. I've applied for Dentistry this year so I know a fair bit about the requirements and things. Your GCSEs are fab (well done!) and it sounds like you're back on track. However, I would advise you to research all the UK universities and their requirements in depth as some don't accept applications from people who've completed their A-Levels in more than 2 years, so it would be a shame to waste a choice on those particular unis.

Good luck this year!
    Thank you! Where have you applied to? What subjects/grades did you get at AS and what experience etc have you done? Any tips to stand out on my personal statement? Yes you're exactly right I have rang around a few such as Liverpool etc and majority say no to resits unless they were due to extenuating circumstances which i'm not sure they will think bullying is but I suppose it's worth a try...

Thanks a lot, all the same to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah2082)
    Thanks for responding!! Yes voluntary work I do need to do some of that, I tried to apply to hospices etc. but they said not until I was 18. I'm 18 this may so should definitely start looking into that now. Do you know the name of the Spanish university? Ahhh there is hope!! X
    No problem, try doing voluntary work at a care home with elderly people or at a nursery/charity shop. The name of the uni is UEM (universidad europea de Madrid). Call them up for guidance or order their brochure x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.