Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was with a girl for almost a year and a half, with 7 months of that being at different unis. Before university she was the love of my life and we were perfect together and very happy. However, just before uni she was diagnosed with depression which sucked but we made it work, but then life went downhill fast.

After a visit to her she said she found me less physically attractive, a common symptom of depression, but she still loved me so it was all good. Then we got to xmas and she started saying that everyone told her that she could do better and that we had nothing in common. This sucked but we were working through it when I visited for valentines. The day after I returned home she kissed her male friend, but I forgave her, but then she kissed him again and so I broke us up.

I was heartbroken, while she remained cold and distant, but I was still so in love with her. I tried to stay away but I couldn't go through the day without talking to her. We had ups and downs but she didn't really seem to care when I was upset and then she told me she had gone to hospital with an overdose several days after it happened. Now she has told me she's kissed another guy and my heart is on fire and I'm distraught. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    You should update your Facebook status.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Isnt she going to see you as part of the problem? If she's as unbalanced and depressed as you say then maybe you arent the one to nurse her though it. I wouldnt bother about the kissing, but its realistic she might go off the rails, especually with the overdose (a far more serious thing).

What do you wnat to do?

She needs help with the depression,
    She might need support as a friend from you or others.
    She might not need a bf or you at the moment and will go self destructive with it.

be supportive, dont do drama and see what she wants. If you love her then helping her with the depression has priority imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Isnt she going to see you as part of the problem? If she's as unbalanced and depressed as you say then maybe you arent the one to nurse her though it. I wouldnt bother about the kissing, but its realistic she might go off the rails, especually with the overdose (a far more serious thing).

What do you wnat to do?

She needs help with the depression,
    She might need support as a friend from you or others.
    She might not need a bf or you at the moment and will go self destructive with it.

be supportive, dont do drama and see what she wants. If you love her then helping her with the depression has priority imo.
    To be honest I want to be with her because before all this we were so happy but she just doesn't seem to want it like that
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Whitee)
    To be honest I want to be with her because before all this we were so happy but she just doesn't seem to want it like that
    Perhaps shes indicating she sees you as part of the problem. Sometimes people need space. Its tricky, but dont be surprised if things get a bit unstable. Taking overdoses is another level.

Woprry less about her kissing someone else and more about how you cna be a good friend and help her get through this difficult time imo. Shes not going to be back to that person until she deals with the depression.

ReputationRep:
    Also what do I do in terms of dating other people. I love her to pieces but I don't want to pass up an opportunity with someone else if me and her have no future.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Talk to her without recriminations or being too dramatic. See how things are. She probably doesnt know but wnats space. >amke up your own mind if shes being hinest and herself. you cnat stay in a relationship if she doesnt wnat it, but you cna support her. Just talk and see what happens.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.