Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think the monarchy will survive when the Queen dies? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    What has James, Viscount Severn or young royals got to do with the possible future longevity of the monarchy ? Did you actually understand OP's question?
    Yes I do but I also understand that if there's an Heir to the throne, the Royal Family will go on.. Are you suggesting they're gonna be overthrown like the Tsars of Russia? This is 2016 mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Yes I do but I also understand that if there's an Heir to the throne, the Royal Family will go on.. Are you suggesting they're gonna be overthrown like the Tsars of Russia? This is 2016 mate
    I'm suggesting that the fact there are a long line of heirs doesn't have anything to do with the question at hand. Nor am I suggesting they will be over thrown like the Tsar of Russia nor would I want such a thing to happen to any family, that was wrong. I am definitely suggesting though that you did not understand the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HTrust)
    They are useless bunch of people.
    How?
    I'm sure most will agree they do a lot more than politicians do for the UK.
    Also, a lot of people's argument seems to be that they "cost us loads of money". The facts are that the Government pays the Crown Estate around £40m per year. That is for EVERYTHING to do with the Royal Family. Their security, to pay for state banquets (best in the world tbh) etc.
    From tourism related to the Royal Family (which btw i don't mean the Royal palaces etc. which of course would still be popular without the Royals living there), as in Royal events etc. give the taxpayer a lot more back. The Royal Wedding in 2011 was predicted to have benefitted the UK economy by £2bn. As you can see, even if we keep them purely for financial gain, even though there is a lot more that they do for the UK i.e. in terms of soft power, which the UK was recently rated No. 1 in the world for, it is worth keeping them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    What are the palaces without the monarchy, though? Old abandoned castles don't get nearly as much tourism.
    No one resides in Hampton Court Palace, I am sure this old palace gets many visitors though. I am also sure no one resides in the Tower of London and I am sure once again they have many visitors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    I'm suggesting that the fact there are a long line of heirs doesn't have anything to do with the question at hand..
    if there were no Heirs then the answer to the question "When she dies do you think that the monarchy will survive another fifty years?" is no.

however their are heirs and an heir means the throne will be passed down when the current monarch dies or gives up their throne. Even if a monarch renounces their throne the royal family will live on

So if you think about it there's only 2 ways that the Royal family can come to an end...

1) Every member of the family decides they no longer want to be royal and quit
    2) The Government gets rid of them

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does you moron, i there were no Heirs then the answer to the question "When she dies do you think that the monarchy will survive another fifty years?" is no.

however their are heirs and an heir means the throne will be passed down when the current monarch dies or gives up their throne. Even if a monarch renounces their throne the royal family will live on

So if you think about it there's only 2 ways that the Royal family can come to an end...

1) Every member of the family decides they no longer want to be royal and quit
    2) The Government gets rid of them
    I'm not sure where your brain is at but there is no way in this world that the could ever be no heirs. Also the fact there are heirs means nothing , many monarchies of the world have been abolished from running the countries they ruled and guess what? They all have a long list of heirs, fact is though these countries, Russia, Portugal , Germany etc although they have members of the aristocracy connected to past royalty these countries are no longer run by a monarchy in anyway not even constitutional. Thanks for the insult and thanks for proving you do not understand the question at hand.

You are confusing the royal family with the idea of a monarchist nation, the question is not simply about a royal family it's about monarchy as an important central institution itself. Look up the words sovereign royals and educate yourself on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    I think the popularly of the monarchy will decrease, but that's about it - as much as I am a republican, I don't think there are enough republicans in the UK, before or after the queen's death, to lead to a republic

ReputationRep:
    People will love it just as much. They appreciate the efficacious constitutional framework the monarchy creates too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I think the popularly of the monarchy will decrease, but that's about it - as much as I am a republican, I don't think there are enough republicans in the UK, before or after the queen's death, to lead to a republic
    I honestly think that depends on who the next monarch will be. If Prince Charles decides to take the throne then i can definitely see the popularity decrease, as he is probably the person who people least associate themselves with. However whilst it isn't common within the British monarchy, i don't think it would come as a surprise if Prince Charles abdicated to allow for Prince William to take the throne. If by some chance that did occur, then i think the monarchy have a chance of retaining the current popularity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    I honestly think that depends on who the next monarch will be. If Prince Charles decides to take the throne then i can definitely see the popularity decrease, as he is probably the person who people least associate themselves with. However whilst it isn't common within the British monarchy, i don't think it would come as a surprise if Prince Charles abdicated to allow for Prince William to take the throne. If by some chance that did occur, then i think the monarchy have a chance of retaining the current popularity.
    I think it would be hilarious and highly unlikely that prince charles would actually abdicate just because not very many people like him - he'd look even worse doing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I think it would be hilarious and highly unlikely that prince charles would actually abdicate just because not very many people like him - he'd look even worse doing that
    The Queen looked down harshly at her uncle who abdicated the throne, although there is speculation as to why he abdicated. So I do not see why her son knowing this would choose to abdicate, I'm pretty sure he enjoys his position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rogersuniv)
    I don't get what you mean?

The monarchy can always continue to fund itself from the crown estate.
    Incorrect, the crown estate would not pay for the upkeep of the royal palaces or any of the staff the royal family keep, it would run out extremely fast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    The Queen is nearly 90 and will probably die in the next few years, When she dies do you think that the monarchy will survive another fifty years?
    Think about it do you really want that outdated symbol of undemocraticness to stay alive? The monarchy is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Mir)
    Think about it do you really want that outdated symbol of undemocraticness to stay alive? The monarchy is a joke.
    Refer to my previous comment

ReputationRep:
    When she dies there should be a lottery for everyone in the country become the next King or queen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Mir)
    Growing up I was always really anti-monarchy, they symbolise slavery, oppression, inequality and unearned privilege, but the more I see the London the more I realise that pointless tradition and culture actually does add to this country more than *****y tower blocks and soul-less apartments people slave to meet the rent payments for.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously, there are Heirs to the throne going down to the age of 8, James, Viscount Severn.. so will little James live to see the age of 58? Obviously
    no I said the monarchy I meant as an institution not as a 'royal bloodline' also I don't recognise the concept of a royal bloodline anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    no I said the monarchy I meant as an institution not as a 'royal bloodline' also I don't recognise the concept of a royal bloodline anyway
    loool there you go, maybe he doesn't know the meaning of the word institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Incorrect, the crown estate would not pay for the upkeep of the royal palaces or any of the staff the royal family keep, it would run out extremely fast
    I read somewhere that UKIP would exchange the privy purse for just 40% of the estate.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.