The Student Room Group

What class do i belong?

I am quite poor and I make around 20K a year.
I been to university but came out even poorer! Still going to continue studying too :biggrin:
I'm very open-minded and multiculturalism is part of my life, people are all different with interesting backgrounds.
Music, well I listen to anything that sounds good to be honest. Sometimes I would go on youtube and just explore. I might even play Japanese song or Indian. You never know, I don't limit myself to one thing :smile:
Politics, I would say am quite liberal but also proud British too.
I don't think I belong to any class lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Grace019
I been to university but came out even poorer! Still going to continue studying too :biggrin:
I'm very open-minded and multiculturalism is part of my life, people are all different with interesting backgrounds.
Music, well I listen to anything that sounds good to be honest. Sometimes I would go on youtube and just explore. I might even play Japanese song or Indian. You never know, I don't limit myself to one thing :smile:

Lower middle I would say :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IAmNero
Lower middle I would say :smile:

So I start to make more money I will become a little higher class. Is that how the class system works? lol
Class is a mix of culture, education and money.

However the crude way it is measured is money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So I start to make more money I will become a little higher class. Is that how the class system works? lol

Nope, class is based on income, education, culture, where you live and a number of factors

Class is not solely financial.

Working class.
I think the class system is breaking down now, it's difficult to tell for most people.
Class is a relic of an outdated system. The country has developed beyond an archaic class system, and will entirely transcend it within the next sixty years.

What jobs do your parents do?

Do you parents own or rent their house?

What did you study at uni & what field do you work in at the moment?
Original post by Dinasaurus
I think the class system is breaking down now, it's difficult to tell for most people.

Actually the way the economy is going class divides are going to be more pronounced in future, with home ownership being one of the key markers that distinguishes the middle & upper classes from the working class.
There is a U.K. Class Calulator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973
I'm not vouching for its reliability, just saying it's there.

I do think the idea that class is defined by income is more prevalent in the states than it is in the U.K.
Original post by Death Grips
Actually the way the economy is going class divides are going to be more pronounced in future, with home ownership being one of the key markers that distinguishes the middle & upper classes from the working class.

Yeah but it's odd in a way because a lot of my self proclaimed working class peers have home owning parents despite being 'low income', where was my more average income parents aren't home owners.

A lot of them make little money but own homes because it was much cheaper in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lower middle
Original post by MsTabitha
There is a U.K. Class Calulator
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973
I'm not vouching for its reliability, just saying it's there.

I do think the idea that class is defined by income is more prevalent in the states than it is in the U.K.

Can confirm accurate, I'm Elite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Does it matter? The British obsession with class always amazes me.
Original post by Howard
Does it matter? The British obsession with class always amazes me.

The nation has had a class system longer than the US has been around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by DiddyDec
The nation has had a class system longer than the US has been around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. I just find it really weird that people should give it much thought.
In a class of your own :yes:
Reply 19
Original post by Death Grips
What jobs do your parents do?

Do you parents own or rent their house?

What did you study at uni & what field do you work in at the moment?

My parents have their own homes and my dad has business and properties but the thing is none of those are actually mine and I have never ask money to my parents maybe at age 16 I used to.

I struggle like anyone else and I don't like borrowing money I would rather stay hungry and eat bread and drink water if I don't have enough money to budget.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending