Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can i get into Durham uni (law) with 3a*, 4A, 2B and 1c?
    i picked history, economics, psychology and maths for A-level

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't really look at GCSE grades.
    But I have had a look at the Uni page for Law and they are only asking for the A-levels (A*AA)

ReputationRep:
    Dammmnn Daniel.. don't set your GCSE grades just yet!! Goosh we have like 8 weeks to go lmao. And you probably could get more than that.
    (This has no relevance to the OP...I'm sorry)
    But best of luck to you

ReputationRep:
    Law is extremely competitive so perhaps applying with achieved A-level grades would put you in a better position. Universities only look at GCSEs when applicants have applied with a set of achieved AS and predicted A-levels grades. They will barely look at your GCSEs if you apply with outstanding A-levels

The GCSE requirements for Law are quite low like a C in English Language and Maths, but you will have to do an LMAT test so regardless of GCSEs focus on achieving high scores/grades on your LMAT test and A-levels.

Most applicants will have A*/A in their GCSEs so shine in other ways. There are so many apprenticeships and work placements in Law so a gap year may be beneficial for you for example, the Old Square Chambers in London (depending on where you're located in England) offer amazing short-term work placements. This is what will place you ahead of other candidates.

To summarise, yes you have a chance of securing a place at Durham as long as your A-levels meet/exceed the entry requirements, your LMAT scores are impressive and you have demonstrable experience in law to further highlight your passion for that subject.

Hope this has helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parasite)
    Law is extremely competitive so perhaps applying with achieved A-level grades would put you in a better position. Universities only look at GCSEs when applicants have applied with a set of achieved AS and predicted A-levels grades. They will barely look at your GCSEs if you apply with outstanding A-levels

The GCSE requirements for Law are quite low like a C in English Language and Maths, but you will have to do an LMAT test so regardless of GCSEs focus on achieving high scores/grades on your LMAT test and A-levels.

Most applicants will have A*/A in their GCSEs so shine in other ways. There are so many apprenticeships and work placements in Law so a gap year may be beneficial for you for example, the Old Square Chambers in London (depending on where you're located in England) offer amazing short-term work placements. This is what will place you ahead of other candidates.

To summarise, yes you have a chance of securing a place at Durham as long as your A-levels meet/exceed the entry requirements, your LMAT scores are impressive and you have demonstrable experience in law to further highlight your passion for that subject.

Hope this has helped!
    Thank you very much. Are you a law student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmed3140)
    Thank you very much. Are you a law student?
    aha no I am a prospective Psychology student that will be applying to Durham this September. I have friends, however, who got places to read Law at Durham one of whom only has a B/C at GCSE and is an international student from Nigeria. If she got in so can you!!! It is all subjective really so if you also went to an under-performing school this will be taken into context when deciding who gets an offer and who does not.

If you have extenuating circumstances to why you performed the way you did at GCSE make sure your teacher mentions this on your reference, fill out an "extenuating circumstances form" (some universities will have this, others will not) and get proof (doctor's note, teacher etc)

Good luck! Feel free to ask anything if need be.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs are trash (compared to yours) and I still got an offer for law this year.

Just have excellent A-level predictions and a bunch of law-related work experience + EPQ and you should be cool

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.