Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You do realise you can be right wing and liberal? Liberal for me tends not be be based on my beliefs on economics etc. but my 'liberal' views I would class as those views on Gay Marridge, same sex adoption etc.

You can perfectly well be a Liberal Right person.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the lib dems are more left wing than labour surely. Kenneth Clarke is the only tory I like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    You do realise you can be right wing and liberal? Liberal for me tends not be be based on my beliefs on economics etc. but my 'liberal' views I would class as those views on Gay Marridge, same sex adoption etc.

You can perfectly well be a Liberal Right person.
    But you can't really be as liberal if your are right wing than if you are more left wing surely? The idea of being liberal is you accept certain minorities.

(Original post by randdom)
    Yeah the lib dems are more left wing than labour surely. Kenneth Clarke is the only tory I like
    Same here. If he wants to be leader of a party he could just change party. Shame because I've always wanted to see what he was like and be able to give TB a hard time along with MH.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Him and Portillo in my opinion, and they will lose both of them before long. A great shame.

ReputationRep:
    liberal views = destruction of society, its as simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildAmerican)
    liberal views = destruction of society, its as simple as that.
    and no justification again :rolleyes:
    how ignorant can you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    and no justification again :rolleyes:
    how ignorant can you get?
    well, the statement is not exactly wholly incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    so you want to justify it?

ReputationRep:
    So you think that liberal views cause the downfall of society? How exactly by reducing the inequality that is arround?

ReputationRep:
    so you want to justify it?
    not particuarly. society is a complex fabric of cultural and social imperfections, relationships and prejudices. liberalism in its quest to level everything unwittingly destroys alot of the bonds, for better of worse, that hold communities together. conservatism seeks to protect this social fabric by questioning change of its fundamental make-up.

ReputationRep:
    not particuarly. society is a complex fabric of cultural and social imperfections, relationships and prejudices. liberalism in its quest to level everything unwittingly destroys alot of the bonds, for better of worse, that hold communities together. conservatism seeks to protect this social fabric by questioning change of its fundamental make-up.
    Why preserve something that promotes inequality and discrimination. Things are never going to be completely level garenteed but at least liberalism and left wing politics try to address that.

ReputationRep:
    Then again he used the equals sign so he was wrong because it needs to be wholly correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Then again he used the equals sign so he was wrong because it needs to be wholly correct
    why?

ReputationRep:
    Why preserve something that promotes inequality and discrimination. Things are never going to be completely level garenteed but at least liberalism and left wing politics try to address that.
    thats irrelevant to the point

ReputationRep:
    No its not. You think we should preserve a social fabric in say a country like America which discriminates against groups like Gays for example?

ReputationRep:
    why?
    I thought it was obvious...

And yes it is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    No its not. You think we should preserve a social fabric in say a country like America which discriminates against groups like Gays for example?
    you wanted me to justify his statement, there was never any qualitative assessment involved. its irrelevant because i was elaborating on his point and not arguing whether it was actually one that was of any benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I thought it was obvious...

And yes it is relevant.
    i am aware of your thinking, but it assumes that my opinion is the correct one.

ReputationRep:
    you wanted me to justify his statement, there was never any qualitative assessment involved. its irrelevant because i was elaborating on his point and not arguing whether it was actually one that was of any benefit.
    What? nice bit of spin here
    He said "liberal views = destruction of society", you agreeded with him and when we ask for you to put any sort of evidence you both run a mile.

ReputationRep:
    I was responding to your post which said that

conservatism seeks to protect this social fabric by questioning change of its fundamental make-up
    I was pointing out that if the ideal of our society had remained unchanged then the world would be a very different place and in my view a much worse place with inequality and persecution that conservatism would aim to preserve. This is why I feel that liberalism is not causing the downfall of our society but infact helping to promote equality, that if there was no liberalism and left wing politics would not be there.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.