Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm deaf in my left ear AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Ahaha that's great that you've come to terms with it

But yeah I feel the awkwardness cause for some reason noone believes me - they just say "omg clean your ears" or something kinda ignorant even when I explain :lol:
    Well I guess it's easier for me since I just say I'm deaf :lol: as opposed to sometimes being able to hear. Maybe you could get hearing aids? I was suggested one that goes around the head from one ear to the other, so that you'd still hear the sound from your bad side. Though I don't know if the NHS would actually provide that for your condition.

(Original post by zanner)
    OP i fEELU MAN my left ear didn't work properly for like 7 yrs and now it works at like 80% but i remember having it at like 10% it was p bad and yh the direction thing was bad i could never tell

also when it got fixed after 239 ear infections i was sooooo unbalanced lol but i still usE RIGHT earphones

yh its fine tho ini
    Glad your left ear is now somewhat ok! Sounds like it must have been annoying af.

(Original post by IAmNero)
    So am I!

Fortunately, I could tell my family, becuase my mum is deaf outright.

Have you tried hearing aids?
    Nah, I've only seen a doctor about it recently. I was suggested a hearing aid that would go around my head from my left ear to my right ear. I don't think I'd want it though because my right ear is pretty sensitive anyway, plus there are certain sounds that I can kinda tell where they are coming from, because they sound a little different depending on what side they are coming from (barely though, but it makes guessing a little easier). Could be useful if I ever decided to get a drivers licence though, since the steering wheel is on the right side of the car and I wouldn't be able to turn my head around while driving. So I might get one just in case when I see a doctor on my next appointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    Well I guess it's easier for me since I just say I'm deaf :lol: as opposed to sometimes being able to hear. Maybe you could get hearing aids? I was suggested one that goes around the head from one ear to the other, so that you'd still hear the sound from your bad side. Though I don't know if the NHS would actually provide that for your condition.

Glad your left ear is now somewhat ok! Sounds like it must have been annoying af.

Nah, I've only seen a doctor about it recently. I was suggested a hearing aid that would go around my head from my left ear to my right ear. I don't think I'd want it though because my right ear is pretty sensitive anyway, plus there are certain sounds that I can kinda tell where they are coming from, because they sound a little different depending on what side they are coming from (barely though, but it makes guessing a little easier). Could be useful if I ever decided to get a drivers licence though, since the steering wheel is on the right side of the car and I wouldn't be able to turn my head around while driving. So I might get one just in case when I see a doctor on my next appointment.
    I don't actually live in the UK but it's actually not too bad. It happens every few months and I kinda just go with it. Thanks for the suggestion though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    Good answer.

One more question.

If you had to lose a sense permanently, which sense would it be?
    We're just looking at the five basic ones...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And I mean say you were born with full hearing, so I'm not saying lose another sense woops.
    Probably smell. I get nothing good out of it because my nose is very sensitive and currently it gets irritated by just about everything >.> I often end up moving seats when I can smell perfume/deodorant from people because it can easily make me feel sick. There is pretty much no smell that I enjoy enough to care anyway. And if something does actually smell kinda nice, then it's probably food and it ends up making me hungry when I have no access to food myself ;-;

ReputationRep:
    Is your hearing all right?

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally deaf in my right ear! If you ever want a fellow SSD buddy to chat to drop me a PM I know telling people about it can be hard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanMcDonald)
    Is your hearing all right?
    My right ear is sensitive enough that I hear just fine in general; people don't realise I'm partly deaf unless I tell them. I have no sense of direction when it comes to sound though.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the 2nd post ahaha This sounds like the CROS hearing aid which is what I use and I can honestly say they make such a massive difference in my life for the better! I wasn't expecting much at all but it's amazingggg

ReputationRep:
    My right ear is sensitive enough that I hear just fine in general; people don't realise I'm partly deaf unless I tell them. I have no sense of direction when it comes to sound though.
    It seems the joke fell on deaf ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor27)
    I'm totally deaf in my right ear! If you ever want a fellow SSD buddy to chat to drop me a PM I know telling people about it can be hard...
    Yeah, so far every time anyone in my family brought up the fact that as a kid I used to say that I can't hear with one ear, I'd just panic It's pretty frustrating. Though I will probably be telling my parents at some point, especially if I was to start wearing a hearing aid. Thanks for the support. I'll keep it in mind

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the 2nd post ahaha This sounds like the CROS hearing aid which is what I use and I can honestly say they make such a massive difference in my life for the better! I wasn't expecting much at all but it's amazingggg
    Huh, sounds like it might be worth giving it a shot then. Didn't think it would make that much difference.

(Original post by DeanMcDonald)
    It seems the joke fell on deaf ears.
    I'm insanely oblivious to jokes and sarcasm. People always end up having to explain everything to me

ReputationRep:
    Huh, sounds like it might be worth giving it a shot then. Didn't think it would make that much difference.
    I would say go for it! If you want more detail on them from someone who actually uses them day to day (I'm 18) on the positives and draw backs message me

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you will have had this test done.

If someone presses a vibrating tuning fork to the centre of your forehead, where do you "hear" it?

I ask as I have a perforated ear drum and conventional hearing in my left is diminished (but still higher than average apparently), however the nerves in my left ear have adapted to pick up vibrations from my skull. So when I had this test done I "heard" it, in my left ear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    I'm guessing you will have had this test done.

If someone presses a vibrating tuning fork to the centre of your forehead, where do you "hear" it?

I ask as I have a perforated ear drum and conventional hearing in my left is diminished (but still higher than average apparently), however the nerves in my left ear have adapted to pick up vibrations from my skull. So when I had this test done I "heard" it, in my left ear.
    I have never had this test done. I did have both my ears looked at though, and as far as I'm aware everything looks fine on both sides so it's not the ear drum that's the problem. I have felt vibrations from sounds in my left ear before, but it'd never hear anything through that ear. Only thing that would happen is that my left ear hurts from vibrations a lot more easily.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm a bit late but I'm not completely sure of the difference between CROS and traditional. My first audiologist(from 1 NHS branch) say I would need a CROS but my second( from another) said I need a traditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainingpopcorn5)
    I know I'm a bit late but I'm not completely sure of the difference between CROS and traditional. My first audiologist(from 1 NHS branch) say I would need a CROS but my second( from another) said I need a traditional.
    If I'm not mistaken, a traditional hearing aid would be used to aid the hearing in a weak ear that still has hearing, it just amplifies the sound so you can hear it. The CROS aid is for the cases where one side is (almost) completely deaf, so there's no point giving that ear a traditional hearing aid because turning up the volume won't help enough. So instead you take the sound from the deaf side with one part of the hearing aid, and redirect it to the ear that works. I can't hear with my left ear, so this would let my right ear hear what's happening on my left side. I would assume that a traditional hearing aid would let you keep a sense of direction. With the CROS hearing aid you will not be able to tell where sound is coming from since it will all be on one side and it may end up confusing initially.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm not mistaken, a traditional hearing aid would be used to aid the hearing in a weak ear that still has hearing, it just amplifies the sound so you can hear it. The CROS aid is for the cases where one side is (almost) completely deaf, so there's no point giving that ear a traditional hearing aid because turning up the volume won't help enough. So instead you take the sound from the deaf side with one part of the hearing aid, and redirect it to the ear that works. I can't hear with my left ear, so this would let my right ear hear what's happening on my left side. I would assume that a traditional hearing aid would let you keep a sense of direction. With the CROS hearing aid you will not be able to tell where sound is coming from since it will all be on one side and it may end up confusing initially.
    Hey thanks for your reply. I understand now x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.