The Student Room Group

Is it time to stop student finance being based on parental income

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
Why don't the poorer kids get a job as well?

Many do. I certainly worked full time throughout my A levels to fund university when I first went.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
It is generally expected that students from higher-income families will be able to get their parents to support them. If you really do have a high income, why don't you support him more so he could focus on his studies instead of working?If my parent was in a position to, I know they would help me financially. But they're not, which is why I need a bigger loan than someone from a higher-income background such as your son.

Personally, I don't know if my parents can afford to give me money despite the fact they earn more than some, first I live in a 4 person household and only my mother makes like well over half the income and my mother only earns this much by working over time. The fact I'll be going to university means they won't have someone to look after my sister (this someone was me) meaning they'd now have to either work less which would massively drop our household income or pay for nursery which costs more than me doing it for free.

They also don't own a house or any property, so paying rent and such is a cost that comes out of it. Most lower income parents seem to already own a house.
Original post by A-LJLB
voted for the wrong option in the poll, oops.

I agree that it should be based on parents income. Students whose parents earn over 100k should not receive the same amount as students whose parents earn 30k.

Exactly. It's ridiculous that people are actually arguing that everyone should receive the same amount when their parents are earning like 70k...
Personally, I don't know if my parents can afford to give me money despite the fact they earn more than some, first I live in a 4 person household and only my mother makes like well over half the income and my mother only earns this much by working over time. The fact I'll be going to university means they won't have someone to look after my sister (this someone was me) meaning they'd now have to either work less which would massively drop our household income or pay for nursery which costs more than me doing it for free.

They also don't own a house or any property, so paying rent and such is a cost that comes out of it. Most lower income parents seem to already own a house.

How much is your mother earning?
Original post by cherryred90s
How much is your mother earning?

About 35,000. If she only worked 48 hours a week she'd earn about 28,000.

My household income is about 43,000

Posted from TSR Mobile
About 35,000. If she only worked 48 hours a week she'd earn about 28,000.

My household income is about 43,000

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, so you're not entitled to the maximum are you?
Oh, so you're not entitled to the maximum are you?

No, I don't think it should be equivalent but I think it should be changed. I have friends who are the only children in their household, their parents earn a bit less like 28,000 and due to not having rent/another kid they can afford to help them out a bit more.
I think that it should be based on disposable income, if someones parents earn double mine but they have a bigger house and twice the children it isnt fair that i get more.
But i think its pretty hard to judge exactly how much income is disposable
Original post by intelligent con
There is currently a petition calling for student finance to not be based on parental income. I completely agree, why should the government care what income my parents make, why should the chavvy UKIP types studying PE get more money than me because of what their parents earn? Education is a right for everyone FACT so I should not be excluded due to low maintenance loans. I can't wait for 2020 so I can vote for Jeremy Corbyn who will give me free education and abolish these discriminatory loans. Do you guys agree everyone should be entitled to the same amount?
Reply 28
Original post by BBSAN
"Education is a fundamental human right and essential for the exercise of all other human rights. It promotes individual freedom and empowerment and yields important development benefits. Yet millions of children and adults remain deprived of educational opportunities, many as a result of poverty. "

The Right to Education | Education | United Nations Educational, ...www.unesco.org education themes

Forgive me I have trouble taking a liking to any institution which names Saudi Arabia as its head of human rights. The UN is debating club for tyrants.
Original post by Dez
There simply isn't enough money to give every student the same level of support granted to students from low income families, so the end result of this would be preventing the poorest from attending uni, rather than the middle class students. Exactly how would that be an improvement?

How are loans you don't have to repay until you are earning going to put poor people off?
Reply 30
Original post by Mahmoud X
How are loans you don't have to repay until you are earning going to put poor people off?

What has that got to do with anything?
Original post by Dez
What has that got to do with anything?

Er everything.

People don't repay the loans until they are earning, you could have a student from a poor background who graduates and earns 40k out of university, under current policy they would not repay grants, you could have a student with wealthy parents who earns less but is expected to repay the full loan even though they have left home and are not benefiting from parental income. It's absurd.
There is currently a petition calling for student finance to not be based on parental income. I completely agree, why should the government care what income my parents make, why should the chavvy UKIP types studying PE get more money than me because of what their parents earn? Education is a right for everyone FACT so I should not be excluded due to low maintenance loans. I can't wait for 2020 so I can vote for Jeremy Corbyn who will give me free education and abolish these discriminatory loans. Do you guys agree everyone should be entitled to the same amount?

I originally thought that It is wrong that its based on income; I feel like I get somewhat punished that my parents have good well paid careers, however after researching it a bit and discussing t with classmates I realise that I am fortunate and thus don't need a bigger payout; I know for a fact I can manage on my own personally with my parents financial support, and do believe that people who may be less fortunate get more money as there parents may not be able t provide for them like others can financially. Everyone deserves and equal opportunity and finance differences balance it a bit. If its that much of an issue work to earn extra money if youre that skint.

PS don't mock PE and call it chavvy, I am predicted an A* in it and it is one of my 4 A2's. My parents are professional, earn a high wage and I am most certainly not a "chav" (FYI, studying PE and may only get £2,000 finance, bet that's a damn lot less than you're getting )
Reply 33
I come from a high income family, and receive a fair amount of support from my parents, which I am obviously greatful for.

However, I had to work 24 hours a week for the past few months, on top of 18 hours of university, on top of work on assignments/essays/etc... I literally had to quit my job to save my mental health, all the while people in my halls who barely show up to uni and come from lower income families get a large enough grant & loan that they don't even need to work, and go out much more than me lol.

There's no way everyone can be pleased by a single system, but that is just one of the flaws in the system. My parents give me a substantial amount of support, but because of how much they earn, the government says that I should simply ask them for more, when that's not really feasible. :/
With limited government funds available then its only right that the people who receive the most help are those who have the least ability to pay i.e the poor.
Exactly. It's ridiculous that people are actually arguing that everyone should receive the same amount when their parents are earning like 70k...

No, ridiculous is the fact that one's financial support is restricted merely on the basis of what their parents earn and not what they personally get, this doesn't take into account number of people in the household, nor the fact that some parents might simply refuse to provide their children with support during university.

I would say, determine the level of financial support based on the academic merit i.e. A-level results, rank of the university, course etc. There is no way a person doing a degree in sports science at an ex-polytechnic should receive the same amount of support as someone else who does an engineering degree at a top 10 university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jasminem97
I originally thought that It is wrong that its based on income; I feel like I get somewhat punished that my parents have good well paid careers, however after researching it a bit and discussing t with classmates I realise that I am fortunate and thus don't need a bigger payout; I know for a fact I can manage on my own personally with my parents financial support, and do believe that people who may be less fortunate get more money as there parents may not be able t provide for them like others can financially. Everyone deserves and equal opportunity and finance differences balance it a bit. If its that much of an issue work to earn extra money if youre that skint.

PS don't mock PE and call it chavvy, I am predicted an A* in it and it is one of my 4 A2's. My parents are professional, earn a high wage and I am most certainly not a "chav" (FYI, studying PE and may only get £2,000 finance, bet that's a damn lot less than you're getting )

In your case your parents help and you've been magnanimous about the situation, but not everyone with wealthy parents receives that same help as yu have done.
Reply 37
Original post by Mahmoud X
Er everything.

People don't repay the loans until they are earning, you could have a student from a poor background who graduates and earns 40k out of university, under current policy they would not repay grants, you could have a student with wealthy parents who earns less but is expected to repay the full loan even though they have left home and are not benefiting from parental income. It's absurd.

This isn't about grants versus loans though. The OP was saying that students from high-earning families should get the same support as low earners. Either that means increasing the support for high-income (and bankrupting the country), or lowering the support for low-income (bankrupting the students). Whether that support comes in the form of grant or loans is irrelevant.
Original post by Dez
This isn't about grants versus loans though. The OP was saying that students from high-earning families should get the same support as low earners. Either that means increasing the support for high-income (and bankrupting the country), or lowering the support for low-income (bankrupting the students). Whether that support comes in the form of grant or loans is irrelevant.

Turn all the grants into loans and charge an acceptable rate of interest

gosh

Lol, bigoted Corbyn supporter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending