Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time to stop student finance being based on parental income watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should maintenance loans be based on parental income?
    Yes
    50.50%
    No
    49.50%

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Who's to blame for your parents not making enough to support you?
    Not everyone can be doctors or bankers. My dad works in a fish factory. He had an accident some years ago and then lost his job. My mum is a carer, which isn't that a highly paid job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Some of my friends even receive extra bursaries of a 1000 from the uni for being low income, the one in the first example bought a new iPhone, broke it and got a new one the same week.

My friends say they really need this extra money yet go out and party 3 times a week in uni, go shopping to other towns to buy fancy clothes etc.

I just wish there were more factors involved in determining the loan, such as savings and other children.
    Boo hoo.

Honestly, mate, you need to realise your friends don't represent most of the people on low-income. This whining is getting childish.

ReputationRep:
    ............So what's your point?
    Don't attack lower income families. It's not our fault that your parents aren't helping you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Don't attack lower income families. It's not our fault that your parents aren't helping you.
    And it's not my fault that your parents aren't helping you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    Boo hoo.

Honestly, mate, you need to realise your friends don't represent most of the people on low-income. This whining is getting childish.
    What if I whined about people on low income? What if I said boohoo stop whining childishly that your parents are poor, why is that wrong but for you it is ok?

If nobody got a maintenance loan and it was purely down to parental support, and people complained. Imagine if someone said boohoo, stop whining.

With all the cuts to student loans, I hope that in future this blocks out those entitled people who don't care for the middle class from going to university.

ReputationRep:
    And it's not my fault that your parents aren't helping you.
    My mum is helping me. I've never said that my mum isn't helping me, you're the one who said your parents don't have any money to give you.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is helping me. I've never said that my mum isn't helping me, you're the one who said your parents don't have any money to give you.
    I'm not referring to you specifically. I'm referring to anyone in this hypothetical situation. But that's not relevant to the point I was making.

ReputationRep:
    So if they updated the system to be more personal then instead of people getting money from abusing the system, more money could also go towards people like yourself? Surely that is good?
    Even if it were more personal, there would still be people like your friend abusing the system. 18year olds don't really have any money and so if we were to be assessed independently, everyone would be entitled to the maximum and you would still have people pocketing £7k a year when they have wealthy parents. Hardly fair.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it were more personal, there would still be people like your friend abusing the system. 18year olds don't really have any money and so if we were to be assessed independently, everyone would be entitled to the maximum and you would still have people pocketing £7k a year when they have wealthy parents. Hardly fair.
    If it was more personal they wouldn't be able to abuse the system, just put down both parents and check their situations. Then also check their savings and debt and whatever else.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not referring to you specifically. I'm referring to anyone in this hypothetical situation. But that's not relevant to the point I was making.
    Sure seemed like you were specifically referring to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't the poorer kids get a job as well?
    Actually, university students from poorer backgrounds are more likely to work and work longer hours on average than students from richer backgrounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it was more personal they wouldn't be able to abuse the system, just put down both parents and check their situations. Then also check their savings and debt and whatever else.
    So you are wanting parental income to be assessed but to take into account personal debt?

ReputationRep:
    What if I whined about people on low income? What if I said boohoo stop whining childishly that your parents are poor, why is that wrong but for you it is ok?

If nobody got a maintenance loan and it was purely down to parental support, and people complained. Imagine if someone said boohoo, stop whining.

With all the cuts to student loans, I hope that in future this blocks out those entitled people who don't care for the middle class from going to university.
    I don't see anyone from a poor family whining, just you. And you're still doing it.

That would be a barbaric system because it would mean absolutely no-one from a poor family could go to university. They would have no way to live. With the current system, everyone can go to university. What a ridiculous comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    Actually, university students from poorer backgrounds are more likely to work and work longer hours on average than students from richer backgrounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not what I've seen or experienced, why would they need to work? If they get an extra 2000 loan + a 1000 scholarship for being poor? Why do they need to work as well?

If I can survive with 3000 less?

ReputationRep:
    So you are wanting parental income to be assessed but to take into account personal debt?
    Debt is parent debt, I don't know any 18 year olds in debt and if they were I am not talking about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    I don't see anyone from a poor family whining, just you. And you're still doing it.

That would be a barbaric system because it would mean absolutely no-one from a poor family could go to university. They would have no way to live. In the current system, everyone can go to university.
    Well considering 40% of the poll said other wise, JordanL disagreed, most of my friends who's parents earn more than 35k also agree.

You say it's barbaric because it affects you.Like someone said on page 1, education isn't a right, why should people be entitled to something?

I don't even agree with this but it's funny how you dismiss it because it affects you.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I've seen or experienced, why would they need to work? If they get an extra 2000 loan + a 1000 scholarship for being poor? Why do they need to work as well?

If I can survive with 3000 less?
    Highly dependent on accomodation. I get the maximum and a 2k bursary but my accommodation is really expensive so I don't really see my loan or grant. It's in and out on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering 40% of the poll said other wise, JordanL disagreed, most of my friends who's parents earn more than 35k also agree.

You say it's barbaric because it affects you.Like someone said on page 1, education isn't a right, why should people be entitled to something?

I don't even agree with this but it's funny how you dismiss it because it affects you.
    Agree with what?

I say it's barbaric because it stifles social mobility and punishes kids for something they have no control over. If you think someone has to be poor to realise that you're an idiot, frankly.

(Original post by Supersaps)
    And the ugly nature of TSR reveals itself, as it votes overwhelming for poor people to pay for kids from rich families to go through uni.
    PRSOM
    Why don't the poorer kids get a job as well?
    You'll find that many actually already do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Just because someone's parents are rich doesn't mean they're rich themselves.

Most students from rich families are personally just as poor as any other. An adult student does not have any automatic entitlement to their parents' money.

Parents have 18 years to save up for their children going to uni. Too bad, so sad if they spent that on a 2nd car/house. The state should not pick up the bill because your parents wanted to spend their money on something else.

Why should a lower band taxpayer have to contribute towards a rich kids education as WELL as paying for their own children. An absolute mystery to me.

The fact of the matter is, you would subsise the lifestyle of the rich with the taxes of the poor, so they don't have to pay for their children to go to university. Absolutely. Mental.

In exceptional circumstances, such as being estranged from your parents, you can be considered an independent student.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.