Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is there a decent leadership/management grad scheme? watch

ReputationRep:
    hello!

is there a decent leadership/management grad scheme?

that you end out in a managerial role with good prospects?

thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by studos)
    hello!

is there a decent leadership/management grad scheme?

that you end out in a managerial role with good prospects?

thanks!
    Yes, look at FMCG companies (P&G, Unilever, L'Oréal, Mars, Nestlé etc), tech companies (Microsoft, Sky, Google, EE, Telefonica etc), retail (Asda, Tesco, John Lewis, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl).

The Times top 100 employers and Guardian top 300 employers are good lists to start with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes, look at FMCG companies (P&G, Unilever, L'Oréal, Mars, Nestlé etc), tech companies (Microsoft, Sky, Google, EE, Telefonica etc), retail (Asda, Tesco, John Lewis, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl).

The Times top 100 employers and Guardian top 300 employers are good lists to start with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have any idea what would be the exit opps from an engineering/manufacturing role in one of the FMCG companies you listed? Will there be a difficulty to move into another industry for the same role, given the fact that the FMCG is not considered a "heavy industry" like oil & gas, automotive, aerospace etc.? Would a transition to a managerial role within the same company be viable in the long-term? I know that the last thing is possible with the acquirement of an MBA but I mean without that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KTS89)
    Do you have any idea what would be the exit opps from an engineering/manufacturing role in one of the FMCG companies you listed? Will there be a difficulty to move into another industry for the same role, given the fact that the FMCG is not considered a "heavy industry" like oil & gas, automotive, aerospace etc.? Would a transition to a managerial role within the same company be viable in the long-term? I know that the last thing is possible with the acquirement of an MBA but I mean without that.
    As long as the role requirements are transferrable between industries, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to hop from one to another. For instance, a Mechanical Engineer switching from an FMCG to an aerospace company.

A transition to management is oftentimes a matter of politics and how well you are recognised as being a leader amongst your cohort. It would absolutely be possible to make the switch without an MBA. What the MBA does help with is when you want to change gears completely (switching from Engineering to finance/consulting for example) as well as being a sort of stamp of approval for management roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by KTS89)
    You don't need an MBA to end up in a very serior managerial role at, say, P&G.

As it happens the current CEO has worked his way all the way up. He joined as an Electrical Engineering graduate. AFAIK he doesn't have an MBA (but will certainly have had on the job management and leadership training - P&G is very hot on training).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Taylor

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at Inside Buzz (part of the Target Jobs group). They have ratings from current grads on graduate programmes for some of the larger employers and one of the things they are asked to rate their employer on is career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    I see target jobs and I get disappointed. Some leadership schemes pay 26k while in my friend's company for normal engineering grad you get 30k. Also they dont comment on thr salary scales after the scheme. I am looking for roles that land you with al least 45k-50k after the scheme. Any info??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I see target jobs and I get disappointed. Some leadership schemes pay 26k while in my friend's company for normal engineering grad you get 30k. Also they dont comment on thr salary scales after the scheme. I am looking for roles that land you with al least 45k-50k after the scheme. Any info??
    Stop chasing money so much dude, look at what the companies themselves have to offer and how you fit into it all. Because at the moment, you don't really have any bargaining power whatsoever. You're gawking at £26k as if it's poverty money.

No one aside from the people working at these companies will have any progression info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Stop chasing money so much dude, look at what the companies themselves have to offer and how you fit into it all. Because at the moment, you don't really have any bargaining power whatsoever. You're gawking at £26k as if it's poverty money.

No one aside from the people working at these companies will have any progression info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what are you on about, if I can be in a company with 30k, why go to a company with 26k? who would do that? I can fit well in both I suppose

ReputationRep:
    guys what do you think about the NHS leadership academy?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    what are you on about, if I can be in a company with 30k, why go to a company with 26k? who would do that? I can fit well in both I suppose
    I'm on about you focusing too much on pay and not on doing stuff you find interesting. There are very few leadership/management trainee schemes paying > £30k. Aldi and Lidl are the highest afaik but you'll be working your ass off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But why you wrong deduce that I will go somewhere for the money without enjoying it? I enjoy a great variety of things. And if there is something that I don't enjoy, I won't do it even for the money.

I am thinking, would the progress will be better in JLR where you start with 30k and it may take you 10 years to become manager, or another scheme that you may start with a bit lower, but you become manager in 5 years with more money that JLR? It's a very fine tuning question for strong solvers.

ReputationRep:
    guys what do you think about the NHS leadership academy?
    Doubt they will meet your salary expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some leadership programmes pay less starting salary because they invest so much into the training to improve your leadership skills.

£26k is above the average starting salary for graduates. If you are driven by money and prestige, look at the Times Top 100 Graduate Employers but be aware this is based on perceived ideas of how good the schemes are by students rather than people on the graduate schemes (so those who are active on campus/have strong consumer brands/have higher starting salaries tend to be ranked higher). Even if you look at only those 100 companies the average starting salary is £30k and that is skewed by the vast majority of the vacancies being in London, and by banks and law firms who pay way above the average.

It sounds like you want it all from an employer. These jobs are "unicorns" - they don't exist. You have to sacrifice or concede on something, whether it be training opportunities, career progression, work life balance, job satisfaction, salary etc. No employer offers it all and even if they did it would be so competitive you'd have little to no chance of actually getting the role in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But why you wrong deduce that I will go somewhere for the money without enjoying it? I enjoy a great variety of things. And if there is something that I don't enjoy, I won't do it even for the money.

I am thinking, would the progress will be better in JLR where you start with 30k and it may take you 10 years to become manager, or another scheme that you may start with a bit lower, but you become manager in 5 years with more money that JLR? It's a very fine tuning question for strong solvers.
    If by JLR you mean Jaguar Land Rover then definitely take that over any leadership grad scheme- firstly, an engineering role at JLR fits your educational background better, has a lot of prestige and is paid very well + the salary in ten years will be really good as well (better than most general grad schemes . I don't see why you would choose to do a grad scheme at somewhere like asda or lidl when you could go to JLR, assuming that you get in. You would be doing far more interesting work there as well.

Tbh, I think the aldi scheme pays more than JLR but it's boring and you'll be working really long hours.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Aldi. But I don't want to start with 30k in JLR and end up after 10 years with 45k excluding inflation. At NHS I sense that you may start with 25k and end up with 80k after 10 years. At nhs development may be much more rapid.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Aldi. But I don't want to start with 30k in JLR and end up after 10 years with 45k excluding inflation. At NHS I sense that you may start with 25k and end up with 80k after 10 years. At nhs development may be much more rapid.
    Lol I doubt you'll earn that much in the nhs unless you're a medic or in a really senior position like head office- it's public sector work after all and they won't pay that much for someone like you who isn't a doctor- you'll be earning less than you would at JLR after 10 years. You can't expect to be paid that much in the nhs when they're struggling to even pay doctors £80000.

Also, please press the reply button or quotes when you reply to a user, otherwise they won't be able to notice that you replied to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Lol I doubt you'll earn that much in the nhs unless you're a medic or in a really senior position like head office- it's public sector work after all and they won't pay that much for someone like you who isn't a doctor- you'll be earning less than you would at JLR after 10 years. You can't expect to be paid that much in the nhs when they're struggling to even pay doctors £80000.

Also, please press the reply button or quotes when you reply to a user, otherwise they won't be able to notice that you replied to them.
    ^This

OP, the NHS isn't going to pay you £80000 for just ten years of work when even some GPs earn that- even consultants start off at less than that and they have years of training while you would likely have no useful qualifications apart from your degree.

I've seen from your other posts that you have no idea what you want to do as a career, whether it's engineering, IB, law, accounting or general leadership schemes. Honestly, it's going to be impossible for you to get into IB or a law training contract or any job that pays more than £30000 first year, so focus on getting a graduate job that interests you and has good training opportunities- maybe do further qualifications like the ICAEW CFAB if you want to show a passion for doing the finance side of things.

Employers only pay someone £30000 if they think the person is worth that much- you should evaluate how much you are worth to a company based on your skills and education, not just insisting on finding the ones that will pay you bare dollar. Employees aren't going to pay someone a lot of money unless they have amazing soft skills or experience and are highly motivated and committed to the career- they don't want someone who won't stay there for the long term.

ReputationRep:
    It will only be "rapid" if you are exceptionally good. The £80k mark is probably one grade lower than director. Most directors in the NHS have been working a lot longer than 10 years, and many over 20 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are assuming at this point that you will get in everywhere and have lots of offers to choose from. Until you have multiple offers, and remember some people can't manage to get onto one scheme, then you don't get to pick where you work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.