Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Oh hazzer.
    Yep ? It's a decent bill

ReputationRep:
    I'd be approximately 6% more likely to support this if the national anthem were interpreted to be the Sex Pistols song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'd be approximately 6% more likely to support this if the national anthem were interpreted to be the Sex Pistols song.
    PRSOM, completely agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    This is an excellent level of contribution for a new member - which party is lucky enough to have you?
    I wouldn't call myself new, but I would say I don't post on TSR as much as I should. I'm a Conservative and have been for a while Thanks for the compliment though!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    :nutcase:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Okay.
    2.3a I will not be singing a funeral dirge-like praise song imploring God to save a woman on benefits. You want to punish me for that? Cool by me:yy:
    2.3b. As a history buff of Irish descent this horrifies me. Britain's history is by no means all positive. While this country has done great things, it's also done some stuff that's pretty ****ing nasty. It's time we stopped selling kids a false version of our history where we're the angels of humanity, because it's patently false and the idea of education is to educate, not to disseminate propaganda.

2.3d. Whoever wrote this needs to start living in reality. We're good, but we're not the greatest country in the world.
    2.3f. This is so vague it's not worth including, and besides, teachers have enough on their plate without having to indoctrinate kids with right-wing family values ********.
    3.1. See response to 2.3a.
    3.2. Good luck getting kids of recently-arrived immigrants that don't speak much English to learn your family values without an interpreter.
    3. 4. Somehow I doubt teachers will actually give enough of a flying **** to punish.
    4. b and c. Thanks for giving me something to respond with whenever one of you next rants about political correctness and free speech. Much appreciated :yy:
    PROSM!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, Britain is the best country in the world with an incredibly rich past that has contributed more to the development of the modern world than any other country. The British Empire did have doing questionable by morals standards but at the time the activities were justified, countries had to invade or risk being invaded, and British ingenuity was the reason for splendid military victories. Children need to grow up realising Britain had a glorious past but is losing its edge with the wave of pro-EU, anti-British, anti-Imperial people about in Britain today. For the second reading there will be changes but the message will be the same; children must be raised to fully appreciate all of the wonderful things the British Empire, past Britons, and the country has done for the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Regarding Section 1 is there a less politically loaded term than separatist (not that i disagree that's what they are). We are supposed to be professionals and that seems a loaded term.

Regarding section 2 you need to define societal obligations and traditional values.

Regarding section 3 only English and sign language should be permitted.

Sections 4-6 - Fine

It has potential..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Aye, Britain is the best country in the world with an incredibly rich past that has contributed more to the development of the modern world than any other country. The British Empire did have doing questionable by morals standards but at the time the activities were justified, countries had to invade or risk being invaded, and British ingenuity was the reason for splendid military victories. Children need to grow up realising Britain had a glorious past but is losing its edge with the wave of pro-EU, anti-British, anti-Imperial people about in Britain today. For the second reading there will be changes but the message will be the same; children must be raised to fully appreciate all of the wonderful things the British Empire, past Britons, and the country has done for the world.
    Chipping their brains would be far more effective for what you're after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    B948 - National Education Bill 2016, TSR UKIP
    National Education Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO

Implement a compulsory ‘National Education’ subject in schools

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Definitions

(a) ‘United Kingdom’ in the context of this bill refers to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and its previous forms before the Acts of Union 1707.

2) National Education

(1) ‘National Education’ shall be included in the national curriculum
    (2) All schools following the national curriculum shall provide at least 40 minutes of ‘national education’ every school week that consists of at least five days to all students from the early years foundation stage to Key Stage 4.
    (3) ‘National Education’ shall include—
    (c) lessons teaching students to abide by the law
    (e) lessons on carrying out societal obligations, including paying taxes
    (g) basic first aid training.

4) Enforcement

(1) The Department of Education shall be responsible for issuing ‘national education’ licenses for ‘national education’ teachers.
    (2) Only those with ‘national education’ licenses may teach ‘national education’ in schools.
    (3) The Department of Education may only issue ‘national education’ licenses to individuals who—
    (b) have not been convicted of a crime; and

6) Short title, commencement and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the National Education Act 2016.
    (2) This Act comes into effect 30 days after Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends to Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    submit something closer to this and I could possibly vote aye, although even then I think I would rather see the SoS for Education simply make some minor tweaks in a SoI than see a whole bill on the issue
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Nay. Students don't need to learn about British Culture, it is all around them. The Teaching should not be biased. Students should know that the British Empire used Concentration Camps.

Patriotism is fine, you can be proud of your nation, but we shouldn't be teaching supremacy, we should be teaching equality.

Students don't need to be taught to abide by the law, they have this already in Citizenship/PSHE.

First Aid and learning things like paying taxes I wholeheartedly agree with.

This bit is absolutely disgraceful. Every Student has the absolute Freedom of Speech.

How do you even enforce that?

-------------

Overall, this bill is absolutely absurd. It inhibits freedom of speech and is biased and completely ignorant. I urge all members with any sense to reject this absolutely ridiculous bill.
    Except there was no use of concentration camps in the sense people understand the term today, it is merely a pbrase thrown about by modern idiots who hate the empire and everything it did.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This has entered cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.