Turn on thread page Beta

Parents- how to tell I am engaged watch

Okay so I got engaged to my boyfriend... Well now fiance... And I didn't tell my mother as we didn't have a ring. Well I was given the ring last week and now I don't know how to tell my mum. My mum doesn't really like my fiancé. How do I tell?

ReputationRep:
    Man the **** up and tell her.

(Original post by D8238)
    Man the **** up and tell her.
    and i am sure that would help. i would prefer some actual advice.

Just tell her. She can't stop you guys or anything, she's in no position to

ReputationRep:
    I really think you have made a bad decision without telling your parents. But its better to tell them asap than wait until they find out themselves. so just tell them and get over it. I'm not sure about your background but if you are Asian or something, You're screwed

^Wasn't meant to sound that bad lel.

what methods would people suggest how i tell her? i am white british C of E

ReputationRep:
    "wag 1 g, rah is that actually you mum? Man like mummsy looking fine af today.
    Oh yeh 1 more ting real quick, mans just got engaged innit."

That should do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you think a student forum is the best place to get advice on your situation? You're not a kid so JFDI (Just F'n Do It)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Pick your moment, but tell one of them asap. You need to tell them in such a way they dont think you are naive, but its soemthing you have taken seriously and thought through. Tbh they are more likely to think he is unsuitable, you are young and dont know what you are letting yourself in for. For some people engaged is just engaged and for others its engaged to be married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I got engaged to my boyfriend... Well now fiance... And I didn't tell my mother as we didn't have a ring. Well I was given the ring last week and now I don't know how to tell my mum. My mum doesn't really like my fiancé. How do I tell?
    Why not just text your mum and say 'Hi, i have something to tell you which you should know me and Larry (Whatever your bf name is) have got engaged, he bought me a ring but haven't yet set a date'.

ReputationRep:
    take the ring off go to your mum and show it to her and say he proposed etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Either just show her the ring or blurt it out. Just don't stutter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by star80)
    take the ring off go to your mum and show it to her and say he proposed etc etc
    Pretty good except its a problem if the mum flips out and forbids her to get engaged becayse then she will be living a lie.

ReputationRep:
    Last minute wedding invitation
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How old is the OP?
    Are there any culural reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Can you both go and visit her or take her out for a meal? It would help if your fiance was there ...

ReputationRep:
    well really is depends on how old you are

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you have a date set for the wedding and let the invite tell her.

ReputationRep:
    "Hi mum I just got engaged and you're not invited to our wedding "

ReputationRep:
    send her pictures of you on your honeymoon

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.