Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do accounting and management at Durham University but I also have a offer for the Flying start programme with PWC at Nottingham.
    In the future I'd like to go into consulting therefore I'm unsure whether to go with Durham which has a broader course and good reputation (often considered by consulting firms) or go with Nottingham where I'll be able to gain some work experience (In audit and assurance) thus good understanding of business in practice. Which will firms value more?

If I was to go to Nottingham I would be able to gain my ACA qualification within 18 months of graduating, due to the exemptions I would've accumulated during the course. But it's a bigger university than Durham therefore I am not sure how good the support will be.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Just to answer your question. I am on the Flying Start degree in Newcastle and like you I also considered a regular accounting degree at Leeds university due to it's good reputation.

Just to give you some facts, the PwC degree is 4 years and within 12 months of graduating you will be fully chartered. This means that you will have opportunities to work in many different areas of PwC, like consulting as they have these departments in most offices and it tends to be quite easy to transfer accross departments once you have become chartered.

The Flying Start degree is a really good foundation as it gives you a slightly faster way to become chartered, whilst alo giving you lots of experience in the finance industry and having a name like PwC behind you.

I would really recommend considering the Flying Start degree at Nottingham as I personally think it gives you that extra step above everyone else when you leave university as you already have a job lined up and from that, you can go anywhere, like consulting. When it comes to jobs in this industry I beleive that other firms would value your experience at PwC, whether in consulting or assurance.

As for support, I actually think that is the best thing about the degree. The support networks are amazing both in university and whilst on placement. It is what has got me through the first three years of the degree, because you have so many links and networks of people that you can go to for help and advice. From living with students who do normal degrees, I have found that my degree is a lot closer as way of students over the 4 year groups and that I have a lot more support in place, as way of tutors and other people who look after you whilst studying and on placement.

Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.