Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm not entirely sure what this post is aimed at doing, I think I just need to vent but anyone with any advice is more than welcome to leave a comment.

Basically, I'm in my third year of a law degree and I already have everything for my LPC sorted out. I didn't have the confidence in my skills and experiences last year to apply for training contracts or vac schemes, and I'm not interested in commercial law which it seemed most of the vac schemes were geared towards.

This year, after spending the year building my confidence and gaining more experience, I applied to my dream firm for vac scheme and TC. I got to the AC and thought I'd done really well to be honest. My interview went really well; the partners were very interested in my experiences and one even described some of my volunteer work as "basically the role of a paralegal". Offers have been made and I haven't got one. I haven't been officially rejected yet but I can put 2 and 2 together and get 4.

I know this is only one experience, and I'm still waiting to hear from a TC app to a smaller firm, but I can't help but feel super deflated to the point where I've not even wanted to be in uni this past week, which is strange for me because I love my course.

I've struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember but I've made some real progress this last year and I've really pushed myself into experiences I previously would have hidden from. I mentioned this in the interview as a response to a big hurdle I've overcome because I genuinely feel like I have overcome the worst of it and I'm proud of that, but I can't help feeling like that's hurt my chances.

For anyone wondering, my academics are good, a range of high 60s, and low to mid 70s over the modules I've done so far. Experience wise I have 2 years in a legal advice centre (still there), shadowing a few solicitors, some county court work, a mini pupillage and part time bar work. I've also gone to quite a few networking events.

I'm not sure what I'm hoping to get out of this, and sorry for the lengthy post, thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You have all the right experience, however you have only applied for one TC.

You did very well on your AC but didn't get the gig.

Ask for feedback from the firm and carry on as if you keep applying you will get more ova and ACs and one of these should convert into a TC.

So your basic problem is you have only made one app all eggs in one basket

with TCs you generally have to work harder

If you mean you are feeling deflates well wallow and get back on the horse soldier.

If you mean did that answer hurt your chances. Unlikely but if you don't like it anymore then don't use it again

Although having anxiety is part of being a lawyer

You actually did well but didn't score a hole in one app

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This year I made 15 VAC scheme apps and got through to 3 ACs. I was then rejected all three and two in one day. Like the previous poster has said it's probably because you only applied to one firm. It might not have been that you were bad as much as that there were people who were more well suited for the firm.

I know how hard and disheartening the process is, but unfortunately it is what it is. I am sorry to hear that you suffer from anxiety and I know that that must be really difficult. But maybe take some time to reflect and to take it easy? Ask for feedback and see where you can improve for next time.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, but everyone honestly goes through it! What distinguishes people from everyone else is how they deal with challenges and how they overcome them. Honestly, just take some time to reflect, concentrate on getting a good degree and then keep on applying.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    All the advice given is spot on. Building resilience and an ability to strive for the career is really important. To be successful in the career you will need this attitude/approach.

When you do secure that TC you will then have the same challenges when it comes to seat rotations, qualification, losing clients/pitches, losing cases etc. The career as a lawyer comes with a lot of disappointment when you are not successful and is known to be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. If you are dealing with anxiety you will need to work out how you can manage it in a career that is likely to play on it a lot from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    You are going to have to get used to rejection, law is an incredibly competitive area with hundreds and hundreds of people going for the same spot. You only applied for one TC and you didn't get it - most people apply for quite a few and if they're lucky will get one offer. I know this seems hard but you WILL get an offer from somewhere else (or same place second time around) in the future, perhaps somewhere you are more suited to! A friend of mine got rejected from several smaller firms and eventually got accepted by Allen & Overy. So don't be knocked back by rejection. Make sure they don't reject by silence - give it a week or two and then chase them up, and ASK FOR FEEDBACK to see what you can improve on. You obviously have good grades, and determination. You will get there. Stay strong!

ReputationRep:
    Also - whilst I think that stigma against things like anxiety and mental health in general needs to be addressed, I really wouldn't talk about it in your interviews (not saying this hurt your chances - just a general note!) - when they ask to hear about a hurdle you have overcome, I think they are wanting to hear about something academic or employment related, as this will help them to understand how you can apply that when working with them. I wouldn't bring up any personal issues in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    You have all the right experience, however you have only applied for one TC.

You did very well on your AC but didn't get the gig.

Ask for feedback from the firm and carry on as if you keep applying you will get more ova and ACs and one of these should convert into a TC.

So your basic problem is you have only made one app all eggs in one basket

with TCs you generally have to work harder

If you mean you are feeling deflates well wallow and get back on the horse soldier.

If you mean did that answer hurt your chances. Unlikely but if you don't like it anymore then don't use it again

Although having anxiety is part of being a lawyer

You actually did well but didn't score a hole in one app

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice. It's nice to hear that someone understands and validates disappointment, rather than just saying "get used to it". I've decided to apply to the same firm again next year and plan to get feedback to help improve my performance should I get to the AC again, or any AC for that matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law_hopeful2016)
    This year I made 15 VAC scheme apps and got through to 3 ACs. I was then rejected all three and two in one day. Like the previous poster has said it's probably because you only applied to one firm. It might not have been that you were bad as much as that there were people who were more well suited for the firm.

I know how hard and disheartening the process is, but unfortunately it is what it is. I am sorry to hear that you suffer from anxiety and I know that that must be really difficult. But maybe take some time to reflect and to take it easy? Ask for feedback and see where you can improve for next time.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, but everyone honestly goes through it! What distinguishes people from everyone else is how they deal with challenges and how they overcome them. Honestly, just take some time to reflect, concentrate on getting a good degree and then keep on applying.

Good luck!
    Thank you for sharing your experience, it's always nice to know we're all in the same boat really. I'll definitely be asking for feedback and hopefully I can put it to good use next time around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    All the advice given is spot on. Building resilience and an ability to strive for the career is really important. To be successful in the career you will need this attitude/approach.

When you do secure that TC you will then have the same challenges when it comes to seat rotations, qualification, losing clients/pitches, losing cases etc. The career as a lawyer comes with a lot of disappointment when you are not successful and is known to be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. If you are dealing with anxiety you will need to work out how you can manage it in a career that is likely to play on it a lot from time to time.
    As I said in the original post, my anxiety is very much under control, hence why I used it as an example of a hurdle I've overcome

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to thank everyone that has taken the time to respond, hearing from other people going through the same things really helps.

I'd like to clarify though, this is not the only application I have made. I have made others for various jobs/training contracts/work experience that's not your traditional vac scheme then TC.

I'm very aware that this industry is very competitive, and I've already received a fair amount of rejection (along with a lot of success too!) so please do not think I'm naive and was thinking I'd apply to one firm and get it on the first go, that is not the case at all. I was simply expressing how this particular experience has hit me harder than expected.

ReputationRep:
    Re apply again to them again. Also, the fit has to be good on both sides. It is very hard when you invest in one firm but guess what. You may find your best fit is with the firm you will qualify. Also you can always qualify and then go for your dream firm. If it still is your dream firm.

Your perspective is likely to change.

Your disappointment will fade soon

We've all been there 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.