Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should grammar schools be abolished in order to create equity between students?

ReputationRep:
    I wish there were more.

ReputationRep:
    Its not as clear cut as abolishing grammar schools. There are after all good and bad schools in all areas of further education (even independent).
    I certainly wouldn't want a system where schools effectively have to dumb themselves down just to appease others. Especially given the shortage of teaching professionals, and support staff across education to deal with the fallout of that occurring. Education as a whole would suffer greatly.

ReputationRep:
    As a student of a grammar school, no. I feel like getting into this grammar school sets us in the mindset that we have to try hard because the teachers constantly tell us that we 'earned a place' so we have to work and maintain this place. And this mindset that we have to try hard because we worked our way into this school, means that majority of the students are harder working and dedicated that other schools - so that means more learning is put across, and that's what the difference is between state schools and grammar, it's not about the school itself but the mindset.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that grammar schools should stay because if they went - theres only private schools that offer the type of education that is offered to grammar school students, and I feel more motivated in a grammar school, seeing as I transitioned from a state school where I studied in for 2 years, then to a grammar school, where I can see the clear difference between the two.

ReputationRep:
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: never try and encourage 'equality' by making people at the top worse off; focus on bringing the bottom up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, its amusing to see middle class parents pulling their hair out because their little "genius" failed the entrance exam and have to mix with the unwashed or pay for private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    No, its amusing to see middle class parents pulling their hair out because their little "genius" failed the entrance exam and have to mix with the unwashed or pay for private school.
    Well yeah people will sing the praises of social mobility provided it doesn't mean their own offspring might have to move down a few rungs...

tbh I think in a lot of areas that still have grammars entrance is more of a test of the parents ability and willingness to deploy their capital (social and money) to game admission than grammar enthusiasts like to face up to.

---

(Original post by Krollo)
    I've said this before and I'll say it again: never try and encourage 'equality' by making people at the top worse off; focus on bringing the bottom up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which is of course what people thought they were doing when they invented the comprehensive school.

if you want grammar schools what's the right proportion of the cohort to send to them? how much money per pupil should be spent at schools of different types?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.