Grammar Schools Watch

kristinalazar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Should grammar schools be abolished in order to create equity between students?
IYGB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wish there were more.
uniqsummer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its not as clear cut as abolishing grammar schools. There are after all good and bad schools in all areas of further education (even independent).
I certainly wouldn't want a system where schools effectively have to dumb themselves down just to appease others. Especially given the shortage of teaching professionals, and support staff across education to deal with the fallout of that occurring. Education as a whole would suffer greatly.
zxnera
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a student of a grammar school, no. I feel like getting into this grammar school sets us in the mindset that we have to try hard because the teachers constantly tell us that we 'earned a place' so we have to work and maintain this place. And this mindset that we have to try hard because we worked our way into this school, means that majority of the students are harder working and dedicated that other schools - so that means more learning is put across, and that's what the difference is between state schools and grammar, it's not about the school itself but the mindset.
zxnera
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I personally think that grammar schools should stay because if they went - theres only private schools that offer the type of education that is offered to grammar school students, and I feel more motivated in a grammar school, seeing as I transitioned from a state school where I studied in for 2 years, then to a grammar school, where I can see the clear difference between the two.
Krollo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've said this before and I'll say it again: never try and encourage 'equality' by making people at the top worse off; focus on bringing the bottom up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, its amusing to see middle class parents pulling their hair out because their little "genius" failed the entrance exam and have to mix with the unwashed or pay for private school.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
No, its amusing to see middle class parents pulling their hair out because their little "genius" failed the entrance exam and have to mix with the unwashed or pay for private school.
Well yeah people will sing the praises of social mobility provided it doesn't mean their own offspring might have to move down a few rungs...

tbh I think in a lot of areas that still have grammars entrance is more of a test of the parents ability and willingness to deploy their capital (social and money) to game admission than grammar enthusiasts like to face up to.

---

(Original post by Krollo)
I've said this before and I'll say it again: never try and encourage 'equality' by making people at the top worse off; focus on bringing the bottom up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which is of course what people thought they were doing when they invented the comprehensive school.

if you want grammar schools what's the right proportion of the cohort to send to them? how much money per pupil should be spent at schools of different types?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (60)
21.82%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (93)
33.82%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
21.45%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (27)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (36)
13.09%

Watched Threads