Turn on thread page Beta

Loss of energy on diet. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically im a young healthy and athletic 17 year old boy, started weightlifting just under a year ago. Have made very good progress and muscle gains but have noticed recently that when i have made my diet more stricter (to lower body fat %) by mostly eating only protein, water, fruit and veg etc, i have had no energy whatsoever and am in turn going backwards and becoming weaker! Should i consider eating more carbs? And what carbs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Are you tracking calories?

Are you eating any carbs?

Potato, rice, sweet Potato, pasta.. Whatever it doesn't matter that much
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that you aren't eating enough of something. What that is, I'm not sure but food is what gives you energy. If you cut out a lot of carbs then that's the first thing you should try to start incorporating back into your diet and see if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashyc)
    I'd say that you aren't eating enough of something. What that is, I'm not sure but food is what gives you energy. If you cut out a lot of carbs then that's the first thing you should try to start incorporating back into your diet and see if that helps.
    I am but type of foods would be best?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Kyle98)
    I am but type of foods would be best?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Type of carbs can be crucial depending on what time it is eaten and for the activity it's needed for - as he said he is active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Type of carbs can be crucial depending on what time it is eaten and for the activity it's needed for - as he said he is active.
    Can you expand and what carbs/when?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    Type of carbs means nothing. Sure whole grain carbs will provide slightly slower, but as most performance is on the day priors eating, rather than that current days (hence why many guys who lift train fasted just fine) to reason; it just doesn't matter. The goal posts are somewhat shifted if you lift and do lots of cardio on days you train etc; but not many people do it

Can you expand and what carbs/when?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yet again.... it just doesn't matter
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Complex carbs, things like oats and seeds are great, wholemeal bread etc. Slow steady energy release. If you need a boost then have a banana for simple carns and more immediate release. Also make sure you are getting your vitamins including vitamin B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Complex carbs, things like oats and seeds are great, wholemeal bread etc. Slow steady energy release. If you need a boost then have a banana for simple carns and more immediate release. Also make sure you are getting your vitamins including vitamin B.
    I am eating all those foods that you stated!! But still not sure why im becoming so lazy/energyless

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I am eating all those foods that you stated!! But still not sure why im becoming so lazy/energyless

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then its whats said above maybe you arent eating enough. Are you tracking your calories are you drinking enough fluids?

If its not diet related then perhaps its medical and if it continues then you cna go and see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    So basically im a young healthy and athletic 17 year old boy, started weightlifting just under a year ago. Have made very good progress and muscle gains but have noticed recently that when i have made my diet more stricter (to lower body fat %) by mostly eating only protein, water, fruit and veg etc, i have had no energy whatsoever and am in turn going backwards and becoming weaker! Should i consider eating more carbs? And what carbs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you might also lack some vitamins like vitamin d, consider taking supplements
    id recommend you to see your GP first though and maybe do some blood tests etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnarofk)
    you might also lack some vitamins like vitamin d, consider taking supplements
    id recommend you to see your GP first though and maybe do some blood tests etc
    What will i tell the GP is my concern though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How often are you training? whart are you doing and how much?

You didnt answer about how many calories and whether you are tracking them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    How often are you training? whart are you doing and how much?

You didnt answer about how many calories and whether you are tracking them.
    I lift around 4 times on average a week and cycle to and from everywhere i go. Im keeping a rough idea of the amount im eating but i kid you not i think im eating like 3000/4000 cals per day, not including cheat days

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What will i tell the GP is my concern though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    just tell them youve been feeling weak lately
    i had that problem recently, told exactly the same and i found out i had iron deficiency so i got some pills prescribed and now i feel good again
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    < Changes diet radically
    < Cuts out all carbs
    < Wonders why they feel tired
    < Next step GP?

Good lord, try eating some carbs first and no you're not a special snowflake - it just doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    Here you go:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...waistline.html

ReputationRep:
    The biggest mistake I ever made when dieting was thinking carbs were the enemy. Unless you're looking to get competition ready your carbs should not be < 200g.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.